Friday, July 06, 2018

Braunschweig´s Jeanne d’Arc



I got another interesting story for you (I think):
In the east-side of the cathedral you find a cannonball and a date from 1615.
At the time Braunschweig wanted imperial immediacy and sent the duke to Wolfenbüttel - the city where also Jägermeister comes from, btw.
The duke wanted to get back to Braunschweig but the people didn´t want him and hence the city lie unter a siege for three months and this cannonball hit.

Well, rather there was another way of it´s getting there as back then the weapons weren´t "strong" enough for this.



More likely the ball was found and put up there as a memorial - sadly it wasn´t a strong enough sign after all...

The title?
The situation became very hopeless for the Braunschweig people. Back then 34 year old Gesche Meiburg went and collected other women and together they helped the men keep the city. It´s said she worked with a sword, a war hammer and a musket and surprisingly survived unwounded, too.
Flyers about the "Braunschweig hero-virgin" were printed to spread the area and hence the cannonball is also a commemoration for her and her fellow female fighters.
These days she´s also called Braunschweig´s Jeanne d’Arc.

Source again the book Braunschweiger Geheimnisse (Braunschweig´s secrets).

Why not take a seat by this courageous, roaring lion(s)...



... and think of all the women who were brave and clever like that when it was still strictly a man´s world? :-)

5 comments:

  1. Yay, women of Braunschweig! Of course they helped! I love stories like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there have been many strong women over the centuries that we will never know about Iris, in many ways women are the stronger sex.. reckon the world population would be half the size it is if men had the babies 😀😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to share this story, Jeanie!
    Haha, Grace, well, I cannot really say I know what you´re talking about, but reckon you´re right with the men and the babies :-)
    And, yes, to all the unheard of strong women, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a very strong woman in body and mind.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn´t have been that brave, I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Have your bait here (ummm... bite! ;-)....)