I just saw your comment and glad I could stop by so quickly. AI is an interesting thing. Can I relate it to the movie Oppenheimer, which I saw yesterday for the second time? Oppenheimer was a physicist who studied a lot in Europe and brought Quantum physics to the US. So during the second world war (no German guilt for this ok), he was asked to head up the atomic bomb project in New Mexico.
In Germany some scientists had discovered how to use atomic fission to see how atomas came apart (radiation is fission is if you're not up on your physics). Now that information could be used to build a bomb. Oppenheimer was a scientist and he was excited to see what the science could do and where it could go. Of course it was a military project and they took over with their military goals. Which he hated. He wanted peace. But the bomb was a good intellectual project.Oppenheimer hoped that the knowledge that a bomb could be made was enough to deter people from making it. But of course, it didn't.
I feel the same way about AI in some ways. It's a great intellectual question. And it could do some good things. As long as the wrong people don't use it for the wrong things. Who decides the wrong things: that could actually be the big problem. Is AI going to take away artistic freedom, or is it going to add to it?
It's exciting and scary at the same time, isn't it? Hope I'm not too vague here. hugs-Erika
I am very positive I saw the movie on Oppenheimer. And yes. I had the worst teacher for physics. He went to Australia in our summer and complained it was so cold there. Dumb person. Also stating girls are too dumb for physics, not motivating and to top it he explained extra-confusing.
Yes, as also Braun some brilliant minds flew Na#i-Germany and yes, you can always misuse technology and science.
Yes, who can come up with the wrong use of AI. Here they have police-"dogs" that can climb stairs and look for people in dangerous places - that is good. They can also...
Again it´s the humans who invent and can destroy. We would need an "intelligent" solution.
I think you cannot take art from people :-) I do not worry about that. But what about teachers etc, etc. Will we again ask: Does it take away human jobs? Yes, it will.
Yet, we cannot stop it. I saw one TED pro AI for schools, must look if I re-find it.
Thank you for answering and giving your opinion, hugs (some I talked to gave I strict NO!, yet AI is in our lives since ages... and be it robots Ingo´s company worked with - I saw that 2009 or such - they were superfast, human-like and cute).
magiceye, like everything! I VERY much hope we keep the advances! Just yesterday they showed human like robots from China or Japan (don´t nail me on that).
I just saw your comment and glad I could stop by so quickly. AI is an interesting thing. Can I relate it to the movie Oppenheimer, which I saw yesterday for the second time? Oppenheimer was a physicist who studied a lot in Europe and brought Quantum physics to the US. So during the second world war (no German guilt for this ok), he was asked to head up the atomic bomb project in New Mexico.
ReplyDeleteIn Germany some scientists had discovered how to use atomic fission to see how atomas came apart (radiation is fission is if you're not up on your physics). Now that information could be used to build a bomb. Oppenheimer was a scientist and he was excited to see what the science could do and where it could go. Of course it was a military project and they took over with their military goals. Which he hated. He wanted peace. But the bomb was a good intellectual project.Oppenheimer hoped that the knowledge that a bomb could be made was enough to deter people from making it. But of course, it didn't.
I feel the same way about AI in some ways. It's a great intellectual question. And it could do some good things. As long as the wrong people don't use it for the wrong things. Who decides the wrong things: that could actually be the big problem. Is AI going to take away artistic freedom, or is it going to add to it?
It's exciting and scary at the same time, isn't it?
Hope I'm not too vague here. hugs-Erika
I agree with Erika. All advances in technology has its uses and abuses. Depends on who uses it and how.
ReplyDeleteI am very positive I saw the movie on Oppenheimer.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes. I had the worst teacher for physics.
He went to Australia in our summer and complained it was so cold there. Dumb person. Also stating girls are too dumb for physics, not motivating and to top it he explained extra-confusing.
Yes, as also Braun some brilliant minds flew Na#i-Germany and yes, you can always misuse technology and science.
Yes, who can come up with the wrong use of AI.
Here they have police-"dogs" that can climb stairs and look for people in dangerous places - that is good.
They can also...
Again it´s the humans who invent and can destroy.
We would need an "intelligent" solution.
I think you cannot take art from people :-) I do not worry about that.
But what about teachers etc, etc.
Will we again ask: Does it take away human jobs? Yes, it will.
Yet, we cannot stop it.
I saw one TED pro AI for schools, must look if I re-find it.
Thank you for answering and giving your opinion, hugs
(some I talked to gave I strict NO!, yet AI is in our lives since ages... and be it robots Ingo´s company worked with - I saw that 2009 or such - they were superfast, human-like and cute).
magiceye, like everything!
ReplyDeleteI VERY much hope we keep the advances!
Just yesterday they showed human like robots from China or Japan (don´t nail me on that).
...I'm not convinced about AI.
ReplyDeleteWhy? Or just "not yet"?
ReplyDeleteTake Bertiebo, for example. Without deepl I could not follow her blog other I try to learn her language (she is from Denmark).
I use that AI also at work - and luckily you still need a human, often deepl translates crap... and here we talk job, it has to be "exact".
I'm not so sure about it, I think it has it's advantages and disadvantages, I know it's used to fool people into thinking something is real.
ReplyDeleteYes, it has both. And I think we have no choice but live with it...
ReplyDeleteI think we should be very careful.
ReplyDelete