Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sweet home...

Alabama...
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet Home Alabama
Lord, I'm coming home to you...
(by Lynyrd Skynyrd)

(oh I wish I was coming home...)



Alabama... I´ve never been to the US so far. But I was in my Alabama today, for some four minutes.

We were on the way to Ingo´s old apartment and the radio gave me those precious moments.
I turned it LOUD, because in my Alabama it was played SO LOUD you couldn´t talk to each other.

We sat on the verandah, there was a jukebox, filled with CD´s and you could choose by the cover of the CD.
We had just ordered bucket chips. BUCKET CHIPS!! They are served with ketchup and.... drumrolls... salt and vinegar.

YICKES???

We now LOOOOVE it.

A young man went to the jukebox, chose the CD from "Forrest Gump" and here he chose "Sweet Home Alabama".

There I sit. Ingo is driving on the Autobahn to Rhueden. And I close my eyes. I see the solar showers, the palm trees. I sit on the verandah and can nearly taste the bucket chips with vinegar. My throat hurts of sweet memories.

Darn it! I never took a pic, because back then digital cameras were way too expensive. I hope the pic in my brain stays forever or 'til I come back.

My Alabama is Mataranka. What a sweet place.

For a sec or two I was in Sun Pictures in Broome, where we saw Forrest Gump the first time (and twice then there).

BEAMING, please, will someone invent that now, pleeease?

We bought chips. And vinegar. For the first time in seven years we had some SALT AND VINEGAR BUCKET CHIPS - just without the bucket ;-) And home-made chips for the first time. Essig is vinegar, certainly, the combination is totally unknown here.

4 comments:

Celeste said...

OMG! Life without salt and vinegar chips??? I couldn't function!!

Wendy said...

OMG!! I cannot believe you've gone without for so long!! I love "Fries" (as they are called here) with ketchup or Salt and Vinegar. We even have salt and vinegar potato chips that come in a bag already to eat flavored that way. Yum!

Iris Flavia said...

Celeste, I also went through life without knowing Jerky 'til 1999!

Oh yes, Wendy, I first saw these salt and vinegar potato chips in Australia - and looove them! Here you get them too now, but just very, very mild... I have a friend who has a recipe for making potato chips in the oven - we´ll try with the right amount of vinegar hopefully soon! :-)

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Yum! Hubby and I love them with salt and vinegar while the kids adore them with tomato sauce - actually they'll eat anything and everything with tomato sauce LOL!