
Whilst here on the internet (which is still new to me again) I have the TV blurring.
Hehe... a documnetaion on some guy coming from the Hamburg-area is on - memories, sweet memories of my childhood just flow over.
Dialects are strong on me - I take them over quite quickly. I have been at relatives in that area as a kid all the time and it takes me just minutes to get the slang back. People are irritated when I talk to someone who orignates from that area like one of my (sadly former) cutomers - hehe, I just have a big smile on my face listening to the telly now! :-)) Biiiiig one!
I have relatives in the german part of Switzerland, too, and when I hear someone from there I can´t help grinning either.
Dialects are a mystery to me - a sweet one!
A sad one, too. The relatonships to the relatives broke up due to the gap in age. Due to my grandmother being dead for over six years now. She held us all together. I´m right inbetween with my age.
I wanna go to bed with a nice thought.
My grandmother... was a strong person - had nine kids of whome seven survived. She had seen the badest things but was able to teach my brother and me the very good things in life like poor knight (german) - a receipe,a sugary one I loved the smell of security it spread when I was little.
I´ll take a very deep breath now and go to bed, missing Ingo.
8 comments:
I just caught up on all the posts I've missed, why am I so behind?
Any way, I'll only comment here. I love the childish silliness you guys had, we have days like that too, it's great isnt' it! Sorry to hear about your grandma, she sounds like a strong women! Do you buy vegemite in Germany?
I can't read your german recipe but from the pictures it looks like something we call French Toast - and I love it too!! We serve it with maple syrup. Yummy!!
Hehe, Hann, thanks :-)
No, the Vegemite-story goes like this... There were rumors on the internet that Vegemite was forbitten in the US and many Australians complained. Somehow I mentioned it and my colleague got so curious on Vegemite, he ordered it via e bay since you can´t buy it here.
I hadn´t tasted it before either and we gave it a big go here at the office.
You gotta grow up with it, I guess... we just freaked out...
In Perth at Mc Donalds the staff gave me Vegemite when I told them the story. They gave me so much, we built a mobile of it.
If we could buy Vegemite here... umm... I´d buy a Pizza instead ;-)
And, yep, being silly was just goooood.
I don´t miss my grandma much these days - I guess I accepted her death - but she was some fine woman to never forget!
Celeste, yep - if you have old (german or french) breadroll or toast, dry and hard, you put it in egg-yolk, spread sugar on it and fry it.
I doubt that knights had it to eat, though ;-)
Yup, that's like our French Toast. yum! I miss my Papa. He died in 1996. Hard to believe he's been gone all these years. I still have my mom's mom alive, as well as both of my dad's parents. They are 89 now. Still teaching, driving and moving through life. I will miss them sorely when they go. Funny what things bring back fond childhood memories. Be it a song, a scent, a thought, a fashion.
Wendy, I´m sorry your father is gone... mine died in 2002 and I, too, still cannot really understand it.
89 and still teaching? Wow, what/whom do they teach, that sounds great!
I'm sorry Iris. I didn't clarify. My "Papa" was actually my grand-dad. My mom's dad. My father, I call "Dad".
My dad's dad taught argriculture at a local farming school. (hence my green thumb??) And his mom, was a nurse, but she is also a historian, and she goes into schools to teach children about local history here. She still does that, but Grampa - he doesn't teach in a school anymore. He just teaches whoever will listen to him now! :~)
Oh, Wendy... here languages kick in... "Papa" here is used a lot for father but I could have guessed in the US it´s for grandfather... Does it come from the italian part?
I guess you stress it on the first "a" - we stress it on the second "p"...
I never met my grandfathers, they both died long before I was born.
Teaching local history is great!
I have to buy books on that subject, but being told by a person who was there is way cooler! Great :-)
Post a Comment