Saturday, July 15, 2017
Times Are A Changing
It was around 20C yesterday and with quick walking home from hosp I was even sweating a bit (yum, too much information, I know, but it´s important "to the story", as Jamie´d say).
What to eat?
I was cold later and just OneNoted Jamie´s Mushroom Soup-receipe.
Perfect - what do I need to buy?
Fresh onion, mushrooms, thyme.
Thyme. Fresh thyme. Fail. Not even frozen, only dried. OK, that, then.
I´m sorry, I´m childish, but thyme gives me a big grin every time :-)
Cash-out.
I´m 99,9% sure the lady behind me is the one who asked me last Friday if I know anything about beer and if that sort she choose would be good as an Alster / Shandy and which lemonade to take.
She smiled at me, so I braved up and simply asked, "and, did the Alster taste good?" and we chatted a wee bit, phew, am I glad I was right!
Times are a changing! I did it, I opened a talk to a stranger.
The cash out-girl said hello, gave me a smile and asked, "did you find the Karamalz?".
WHAT???
Last Thursday I bought that malt-beer for Ingo when he couldn´t eat but needed calories.
I paid at her cash-out.
The next day they only had Vitamalz, too sweet. So I asked her if they´d have Karamalz come Sat - she said, "oh, yes, you bought that yesterday", which was a bummer itself to me. A first.
She said likely not. And a week later asked about it!
Times are a changing, (new) staff remember customers and their buys!
Went to the nursery but found no fresh thyme.
The nice staff told me there´s none left, but I might try at real,- or at the markets on Saturday.
Times are a changing, usually you´re simply send away with the no.
And I listened - I´m just home from...
Sadly...
Buuuut....
The Mushroom-Soup was a hit, also with the dried thyme, the itty-bit of added rice really did a good job! Took me much, much longer (also because I forgot rule #1 - have the kettle boiling), but great!
You know exactly what´s in it and with the blender (ok, I had to get a sweater and cover my hands cause hot drips sprang at me) it was easy to make the soup to a thickness just as I liked!
Guess I´ll never buy those ready-soups (yah... "never"..).
Did I ever mention I (thought I) cannot cook at all?
Ingo: Maybe yay! The stent is out, the process of that explains the fever.
I know this because I braved up and asked the busy doctor.
Times...you know...
I also like that she refered to the nurse as "colleague" and he wasn´t even surprised - team work at it´s best, no more "Gods in white".
Times are...
Off to hosp now...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
It certainly sounds like you are braving up in many situations now Iris. It is hard when you are my nature shy but most people out there are in the same situation and more than happy to chat. Your mushroom soup looks delish, I don't think I've ever bought a ready made soup, I much prefer to know what goes in there :) Maybe when you guys come over next time you'll have to come around to my place and cook us a Jamie's 15 minute meal oui!
Well, Grace, maybe I finally grow up a bit :-)
But, uuuuh, that´s some pressure to cook for you! That was my very first soup after all!
But we can cook together and you teach me, d'accord?
Good on you Iris, I also decided to come out of my shell and speak to strangers late in life but I'm glad i did, makes me happy. I like mushroom soup too. And like Grace I don't eat tinned or packaged soup, too much sugar, salt and other nasties .... Hope Ingo is ready to go home to a nice homemade soup.
Oh, sadly Ingo couldn´t eat it as I used oil - and I don´t like the smell of hot butter, makes me gag.
But you're right those tinned soups are nasty. Ingo will have to do the cooking then...
Well, I hope I can keep it up, talking to strangers once in a while...
Post a Comment