Saturday, February 08, 2020

(You Had) A Taste Of Braunschweig



The weather was back to icky yesterday.
But, after some training I decided to buy some nuts for Ingo and some art-supplies for myself.

Which meant Thomas Phillips, 3,5 km one way. You´re supposed to get out in any weather, right?



... and find the good things, see how simple it is to make a building look nicer?
Amazing, no?

I was delighted to see this Mama:



Wee, I thought these slides vanished in the 70´s, but no!
Freeze your butt off in winter and get burned in summer, I thought "we" knew better these days?
Hopefully it just looks like it but is harmless material indeed.

The title? Well, the Lion of the day, actually.
I finally stepped up to the Lion on a column and later found out that likely you had a taste of Braunschweig more than once!



The Freemasonry Carl zur gekrönten Säule is one of the oldest loges in Germany, the oldest in Lower Saxony.
In this column they honour Hermann Buchler, who was an "astute" entrepreneur who, in 1858, established a quinine chemical factory in Braunschweig.
Quinine, I did not know, was the first isolated active pharmaceutical ingredient, originally against malaria.



These days it is also used for the bitter taste of drinks like Tonic Water, Bitter Lemon and others.
This factory here "exports more than 95-% of its production worldwide", so, yep, have a Bitter Lemon, think of Lions, right?
Surprisingly their website is in English only and really interesting, too.



I wonder how come I never knew and this unimpressive column seems to be the only "ad" - isn´t this a person/product to be proud of? 95% worldwide is some number, one would guess...



Cheers, says Henry´s Brother!

Certainly I didn´t have these beverages at home, so I had to walk again ;-)
So, since I´m "bragging" anyways: I did some training afterwards and my fitness-watch says I did 491%, made 36 675 steps over 23,8 km and burned 2 823 calories by 08:00 p.m. - nice, huh?

14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Klingt als ob Du eine erfolgreichen Tag hattest, mit viel Sport und Bewegung, immer gut. Tonic Water hab ich getrunken als ich Student war, wir fanden es damals sehr chic. Löwen Alarm für Dich auf WhatsApp! GlG, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Ach, die Studentenzeiten sind Ewigkeiten her, oder? Was haben wir für Quatsch gemacht!
Danke für die Besucher, Henry freut sich (und ich auch), GlG und einen schönen Tag, Iris

Ella said...

Here I am! 🤒
Thank you for worrying about me and for your beautiful words! The whole sik period was, how else ... nice weather here! Today is cloudy and tomorrow a violent storm is coming! Yeppy !!
I feel better but not 100%! I wish you a warm and relaxed weekend! Hugs! 🤗

P.S1 I wrote a blog!
P.S2 De Bitter Lemon also helps with the sore throat? LOL

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I agree it doesn't take much to make a building look better.

You got a TON of exercise and lots of calories burned. I'm impressed.

I've never heard of bitter lemon before but nice that Hermann Buchler gave us a cure for malaria. Nice that today's lion honors good old Henry.

Iris Flavia said...

Ella, glad you´re back, will jump right over!
Sunny here - but, yes, heavy storms predicted for tomorrow.
A "good" weekend to you, get well 100%!

P.S.: Am about to taste my first Bitter Lemon today. So. I think it would not help you, but I´ll give a cheers to you :-) Hugs!

____

Elizabeth, yes, I´d like such a green stripe on our balcony, too - on the inside, of course!
My feet hurt today, LOL.
First Bitter Lemon to come over here!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Definitely can't let the weather put us off Iris, even on a 39/40C day, gotta get out there.. even if it is just into the pool 😉

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, yes, your pool, beautiful (once I manage to get in - freezing, it is ;-)!)

Tom said...

...we can still find those old steel slides here too, but you see fewer of them these days. Have a great weekend with your art supplies.

Jeanie said...

First of all, I want to know what art supplies you bought, so show them!

Second, I love bitter lemon flavor and I need to look for this here. If I can find it, I'll share a photo!

Lisca said...

Wow! I didn't know that either. I did know that quinine was a medicine for malaria, and it also helps by cramps. So much so that if one of my patients suffered from cramps, especially at night, I would tell them to have some tonic or bitter lemon at the ready.Drinking that at night would help with the cramps.
Well done you for doing so many steps.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

I hope you got some fun art supplies. And did the fowl weather make you feel invigorated when you came home? I would walk that far in bad weather for a good art supply place as there isn't any near me. Of course I say that and if I did have walk in winter weather I might change my mind. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

River said...

Nice to see the kids out playing. I remember taking mine out even when it was raining. Hats and coats on, rubber boots on the feet and we all went jumping in puddles, Great fun.

Iris Flavia said...

Jeanie, I did show :-) And I can´t wait for your pic! Can you roar having the drink? ;-)

____

Lisca, WOW, big WOW! I think that you just HAVE to come and visit me (well, Henry)!!!
You KNEW this??? And I did not?!
Wow, I think we could talk like forever!

___

Erika :-)
Well it was just cheapies, as I´m a beginner (again).
Oh, it´s grey again, can´t imagine we get a storm tonight!
Hugs to you!

____

River, jumping in puddles, what more can you wish for? (and a Pizza and a red wine when coming home, yes, I´d even take a dark, red wine then!)

William Kendall said...

It's rare to see playground equipment like that around here.