Tuesday, February 14, 2023

T STands For STreet Finds!

 
 Saw this at the grocery store (didn´t buy it) - no idea how about your place, I know in Australia there are special liquor stores, in Germany we don´t have that, you get liquor at any grocery.
 
But, despite you are allowed to buy beer at age 16 three years ago I bought on a sunny, hot summer day:
Salad, tomatoes, feta, olives and.... beer, TWO bottles!!! (no schnapps or such!)
The cash-out-dude took it all but the beer and wanted my ID.
I was 48 years old.

Hello. Really?!!!
I VERY firmly said I am old enough and he passed it through.
Happened two weeks later again with a cash-out-lady. "Mask down or ID!!!"
 
Will give it a go this summer again - I am 51 now.
And the mirror shows me wrinkles, I think they all need glasses, should send them to my Brother (optometrist!) 
 
This, certainly is anyhows my ticket to Elizabeth´s T, along with this for real:
 

Journal, if you care:


Monday: Oh, nononono....  The translation company did a job so bad I contacted to-be-teamleader via MS-Teams-chat.. Back and forth it went until I´d had it, and asked, "Lass uns telefonieren (or "sprechen")" - Let´s talk on the phone.
Bummer. Nooo....
 
He is Brazilian and always says "lassen" , because to him it´s more than one person, hence he uses plural and no one ever corrected him.
The darn German language really is, if you think about it, not logical!!! We use singular... "lass"... "lass uns telefonieren".

He understood what I meant - I just hope I didn´t hurt him... 
 
Call me Erbsenzähler, pea-counter. Nothing I am proud of... But things like that enter my brain in an instance.
As does seeing puke or dog-poo in the street. As do noises. My brain is a pain 😂 
But then also look at the French how they say 99 (20*4+10+9), now, who is worse?
Before you ask in case you don´t know, it´s "quartre vingt dix neuf" and you simply have to know when to use "*" or "+"...)
 
 

Tuesday: Oh, another very chaotic work-day. 
I don´t see we make it. Or will we? We have to deliver end of February...
Always a bad idea to try and save money by taking the cheapest workers from
 other countries who do not understand how "precise" the darn Germans are....
"Outsourcing"... a very old The Simpsons-episode taught us that already.
 
I try to buy local, whenever I can. How about you?  
 
2 Training sessions. 


Wednesday: Another crazy, but only 8 1/2 hour work day.
But crazy! 
Teamleader went to the dentist and let me know he´s OK but still "drooling".
Help me, Ronda! (we met for real once).
 
3 training sessions, if with breaks - don´t overdo it, right??? 
Time runs too fast and it was icy cold, ack.
 

Thursday: Work, panic-mode and yet laughter.
 

Sport only 2 sessions. Body needs a break.
 
Defrosted home-made lasagna to see in the official news (and at Tom´s) it´s Pizza Day, darn it!!!
But the weather is too nasty to walk to Guido´s anyways....
 

Friday: After a tough meeting (via MS teams) to-be-teamleader called to thank me, said, "good job!" - now THAT is motivation!!!! 
Sorry for saying this but it makes me a bit proud.
No training, I was but tired. Reckon the brain did too much?
 


Weekend: Saturday: I found just yet another book in the street:
 

I had some good laughs already (it is "DAS" TASCHENBUCH, not "DIE", "die" is female), still no idea if it´s a novel or real life!
 AND "The Mummy returns"! Booooy, cool. A whole series of DVDs!! 
 

Didn´t have the reading glasses on, but hoped it´ll be also in the original. At home saw, German only. Hm, strange.
Then opened it...

WHAT?!!!!! What is THIS??? HAHAHA.... Ingo told me to keep it, it might be worth some money later, here, have a look!!!!


Did I mention the broken or old end up in my hands? As the ones with date expired.
(K7- like K-sept, French for 7, sounds like "casette").

Sunday: Bad weather, day of rest. I´m a little scared. It´s like when I studied. 
All good in the week, weekend.. head, or rather eye hurts.
Back then it was migraine. No light, no sound, no eating, just pain.
Now it´s just a little pain but... I am a little afraid.
The doctor who saved me with acupuncture is retired... I only trusted him...

Aw, come March all will be good, right? Right?

Hmmmm. Food-wise, OH! Have to get the pickled egg-water from the balcony!

Here is from last week:


And art- or red-wise for Erika´s Red:
 

Back in the day there was but one kid in school with glasses and others teased them.
These days...  right? (Pic still from my tissue box).
 
Henry 🦁


Happy T! And Pizza!



27 comments:

River said...

It does sound like a stressful week with the wrong translation and the deadline looming and now a headache too. Try to get some extra sleep maybe? It helps also to look away from the screen and "rest" the eyes by looking at sky and green trees etc, or even just things further away through a window.
Your trip to the dentist will be much easier than mine. You won't be having six teeth extracted all at once! My pain is all gone now already and the gums are healing nicely.

magiceye said...

You are ageless!

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, it´s hard a bit. But reckon still "soft" compared to other jobs.
Yes, my Admin told me to look away from the screen 5 minutes per hour, and I do, yet I think it´s the stress.
Aw, well. March... I set on that.
Yes. owwww. Glad you are better!!!! Really. It hurts just reading this...

____

magiceye, and one day I wake up and look like a hundred year old and they won´t sell me beer cause I am too old, LOL.

Bertiebo said...

You had a good week by the looks of it. Not perfect, but good. I love those language things

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, crazy. Glad we all speak English!

Empire of the Cat said...

You don't have a "yea olde" VCR Iris? I still have two, in storage, but I kept them because I have been using them to convert old home movies to DVD, otherwise I would have to outsource that job and that costs £££. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another rough week I enjoy seeing your journal pages.
Had to laugh at you being carded-that happened to me too in my 40's I was with my brother once during one of those times and he couldn't believe it haha It is actually a compliment though Now mid 70's they know I am old enough haha
You find the most interesting beverages too It is raining here-suppose to rain all day Happy T and Happy Valentine's day too hugs Kathy

Tom said...

...Henry looks fabulous today, Iris, I hope that you and Ingo have a lovely Valentine's Day.

Iris Flavia said...


Elle, I can send it over but it´s German only! No we don´t have such a dinosaur anymore... that was some surprise! Happy T-Day xx

____

Kathy, yes, one day they won´t sell cause I look TOO old, LOL...
The sun is out here, wo-hoo- happy Valentine´s to you, hugs

__

Tom, actually we do not celebrate, as (at least here in Germany) especially flowers are super-expensive.
But I´ll sure get a kiss!

My name is Erika. said...

First let me say I like your kitty in the red hat and scarf. I wonder if this kitty is French with the beret. Smile. It's a perfect piece for February. Thanks for linking up to AJJ. I really appreciate it. And I recognize Peanut in your journal also.In the US it depends by state how you buy liquor. In New Hampshire you can get beer and wine in the grocery store, but we have state run store for other liquor. I know in Massachusetts they have stores for liquor not run by the state. and you asked about the rug under my bear. Yes it is a rug, a skinny one, that I bought in New Mexico on a visit. It was in the Mexican store. It works perfect for the top of my cabinet, so I use it there. I hope all is well with you. Have a great VAlentine's Day and Happy T day too. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

Here in Memphis we can get wine and beer at the grocery but liquor only at liquor stores. Some areas are different. That mummy movie was fun :) That cat with its hat and scarf has real style.

Happy T Tuesday

Mae Travels said...

There's no end to the illogic in languages, and as you say, each one has its own peculiarities. The French names for numbers are indeed odd. I once (when living in Paris) had to write a check for 99 Francs. That took some thought!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was carded the last time I bought beer. I was over 30. It made me feel good! We have to go to a liquor store to get even beer in Kansas. When I lived in Missouri, you could buy it at the grocery store.

Enjoyed your calendar, but feel sorry that you are working with inferior contractors. I am sure you will finish on time.

Bleubeard and I love the little French cat with the beret. Just wonderful and perfect for Erika's theme at AJJ.

You find the most unusual drinks to share for T each week. I'm LOVING the idea of buttermilk strawberry. Thanks for sharing your calendar, your cat for AJJ, and that great drink you shared with us for T this Tuesday.



Lisca said...

Same here: alcoholic drinks at the supermarket. I don't know of any liquor store here. I've never seen one.
I'm sorry to hear you have had a stressful week. Roll on end of February. I'm sure you will make it with the project.
Lass uns.... could it be 'lassen wir?' I speak fluent pidgin German.
I haven't had buttermilk since I was a child! In those days there were no flavours. But strawberry buttermilk sounds yummy.
I had to smile at your experience at the check-out. It must be your lovely hat!
Happy T-Day and Valentine's Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

jinxxxygirl said...

Hi Iris!! Happy Valentine's Day! We do have Liquor stores here..Hubby and i have frequented them many times.. But no longer as we no longer drink.. Years ago i remember it was nice when someone carded me even though i was way old enough.. These days i like when a restaurant thinks i'm older than i'am then they give me the senior discount..lol Happy T day ! Hugs! deb

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, this kitty takes my snot, LOL. But likely in a very French, elegant way!
Interesting you have not one system throughout USA. In Australia you get any liquor (also beer) in special stores.
We went out of teh hotel only once ... twice in Mexico and once on our own. Ii got a bit scared as there was a soldier with a real... "rifle". Likely for our protection, but you never know...
Your rug is cute, hugs!

____

Mae, LOL!!!! Our teacher got on our nerves with that number so you can wake me up in the middle of teh night and I give the correct answer!

____

Elizabeth, yes, at age 30 it happened, too, and I smiled but by now?!
I HOPE we get it done, does not look good cause Spain does not deliver...
Cat says thank you! And I just got another drink to... share and never repeat!

____

Lisca, we have stores that have drinks (softdrinks and liquor) plus snacks.

No, "lassen wir" is wrong, too - there is NO logic "wir können reden" that would work, though! No logic. Don´t ask me... maybe my Niece (12 years old) can help to explain...
Yes, that buttermilk was yummy! Happy... Happy. You are so strong. Hugs

RedPat said...

We have to go to a government liquor store for liquor and most wines. Some grocery stores have a selection of beer & some have small wine kiosks. The most beer is at the Beer Store & the best wines are at the liquor store.
Love the kitty with the red hat.

Bill said...

One stop shopping for all drinking beverages can be found in grocery stores here. You cat drawing is amazing, well done!

CJ Kennedy said...

Sounds like a very stressful week. Oooh, migraines. I used to get those. Not as many now that I'm not in a corporate situation. I found that increasing caffeine helped me, especially a bit of chocolate. Love your kitty in the read hat. Like my Calli only with glasses. Happy T Day

Lowcarb team member said...

Sounds a bit of a stressful week!

I do like your kitty in the red hat and scarf ...

Take care and if you celebrate Valentines Day, I wish you a good one.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

The Brendan Fraser Mummy films are a lot of fun.

Sharon Madson said...

Strawberry buttermilk sounds terrible! Sorry. I will stick to my Earl Grey. Happy T Day.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Iris, your posts do make me smile. Your journal pages are a delight. We saw a (definitely) older man being asked for ID by a young cashier the other day! As for learning the German language- I was put to the back of the class by Frau Donmal. I speak much better French! Happy T Day, Chrisx

peppylady (Dora) said...

Idaho has special stores to see strong spirit. Beer and wine one get in grocery store.

Coffee is on and state safe

The Padre said...

Now That Was Truly A Mouth Full - Highly Entertaining

Well Done,
Cheers

Iris Flavia said...

Deb, so I´m not the only one who has to prove the "old" age, LOL.
Exactly and now it goes the other way round, LOL!!! hugs and to senior discount!

____

RedPat, crazy rules. And yet you see teens of age 14 and below with hard liquor in the city...
Kitty says thank you!

____

Bill, cheers on the cat :-)

____

CJ, acupuncture was my only help. And sadly my stomach hates coffee, my sweet tooth hibernates 95% of my lifetime.
I´ll call the kitty Calli, if you like :-)

____

Jan, thank you, yips, a bit stressy here, but better that than no work! I got an extra-kiss, hope you had a wonderful Valentine´s (we don´t celebrate, everything "love" is just extra-expensive then).

____

William, not helping!!!! Other you send me such a video-thingy ;-)

____

Sharon, it was yummy ;-) - To me, at least.

____

Chris, thank you :-)
Any yay for the man, I am not alone! I definitively speak better German than French. I can still ask for the way and do minor chit-chat and that´s that then...
Have a great day x

____

Dora,crazy it is split up like that! I still fail to comment in your place...

DVArtist said...

Here in Oregon you can buy beer and wine in the grocery stores but the hard stuff is in state run liquor store. I think your job is stressful no matter what. You handle it very well though. I go to the dentist tomorrow. It has been a 4 month wait to get in. Love reading your journal. Have a great day today.