Wednesday, April 03, 2024

You´re Safe With Me?

 
Pics taken in Ghost Town Cook in South Australia´s Outback.
 

 ... I hope!
OK, 98% we have the project Fortescue and my section is... don´t laugh: FS - Fire & Smoke.
Me. Who flips at the word fire. Or smoke. I´m officially in there!!!
My colleague explained to our teamlead he wants me in this project!
And the other men are OK with the decision, also.
 
Pilbara, here I come (well, sadly only virtually). 
Maybe it´s only April, maybe longer who knows, wish me/us luck! 
 
 
Can life get crazier?
The train we let through in 1999... I´ll work on a newer version!
 
3km long, 141t iron ore per wagon...  it is HUGE.
The INFINITY train!!!!
All the way from the mines to Port Headland the train has to brake as it´s downhill, so the motor is a generator and fills up batteries that take the empty train back.
No diesel required!!!! Green energy
 
And, well, the danger of fire. 
Daytime temps  ~ 43C/110F, plus the tracks get hot, too, the braking train and all that on batteries, weeeeeee....
 
So exciting!!! And with nice colleagues!
 
"We’re part of the problem.
We don’t shy away from the fact that we are a heavy emitter. In fact, every year we emit 2.5 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent into the atmosphere from our Australian iron ore operations and Fortescue marine vessels. This is why we have committed to eliminate fossil fuels with a target to achieve Real Zero terrestrial emissions (Scope 1 and 2) by 2030, without carbon offsets."
 
And we are hopefully a tiny part of this!

This is for Tom´s Signs2.
 
Henry's 🦁  alter train-ego, the Wedge-tailed eagle 🐦
 

 Pic taken in Train Station Adelaide before we took off with the Indian Pacific.



 

16 comments:

River said...

It sounds like a big and complicated job so I hope it all goes well and maybe lasts for a while, lomger than a month at least.

River said...

P.S. spread the vegemite very thin, put butter on the toast first, then thin vegemite, not as thick as the butter even. It is easier to get used to the taste that way.

Iris Flavia said...

River, you won´t believe it - I LIKED the Vegemite!!!!
For the first time!
I tried a couple of times and yes, as you said, butter and thin - yum! Now I regret I didn´t buy any in Perth (here you don´t get it). It´s healthy and I wonder how come I like it now? Age? ;-)
Yes, well the project is but norms - but.... I am just happy to be part of it and hopefully learn how they develop everything!

Sami said...

Great signs and best of luck with the new project Iris :)

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Sami, if your Hubby has info, please let me know :-)

My name is Erika. said...

That sounds like quite the project you're working on. Green energy is good, but it always seems less green when you you get into it. But better than fossil fuels perhaps. And so many things to think of. Have fun with the new project. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, I so agree. We might get the Iron Ore "green" to Port Hedland and then? The ship? Diesel? But it´s a start! Every bit helps, right? Hugs to that!
Also I get more sensible about fire... just wrote an e-mail to the other peeps here in the hose - electricity is from the 1960´s and the fire-escape does not reach the ground (we can jump from the balcony, but the others? We live ground floor).

RedPat said...

That is a lot of danger signs, Iris.
Good luck with the project - and they asked for you to be on it which is great.

Iris Flavia said...

RedPat, yes, ain´t I lucky!!!!

CJ Kennedy said...

that's quite a project, but you're up for it.

Iris Flavia said...

I hope so!

Jeanie said...

Maybe learning more about the fire will help alleviate some of the anxiety -- especially if the work ends up helping it.

Iris Flavia said...

Good thing: I won´t be on the train ;-)
And maybe - you are right - I can learn how to handle fire!
Most people in train-fire desasters die of carbon monoxide poisoning anyways. But this is about freight trains. So you have "but" personal (sitting on a battery in the heat)...

peppylady (Dora) said...

If the United States gets Trump in. We isn't a fan of green energy.

Christine said...

Good signs

Iris Flavia said...

Dora, that is very sad.

____

Christine, well... scary, too ;-)