My friend fK sent me another pic from her family in East Germany.
I have no other critter to share for...
Memory Lane Moments
·
"History They Didn't Teach You In School
Scholars have left him out of the history books, and Hollywood couldn’t be bothered to acknowledge his existence either. He was Howard Hughes’ top engineer and lifelong best friend. This is about Frank Mann, the hidden genius behind much of Howard Hughes’ success in the world of aviation and mechanics. Frank Calvin Mann (November 22, 1908 – November 30, 1992) was an African American engineer who was known for his participation in many Howard Hughes's projects, including the Spruce Goose. He also starred in the Amos 'n' Andy radio show. Apparently, his lifelong friendship with Hughes was instrumental in opening doors for Mann's exceptional talents.
A native of Houston, Texas, Frank Calvin Mann's parents wanted him to become a schoolteacher, but from childhood, he had a natural ability to fix things. At age 11, he had his own mechanic shop. As a teenager, he worked alongside airplane mechanics, repairing engines. By the age of 20, he had designed and built several of his own Model-T cars. It was unheard of in the 1920s for a Black man to have anything to do with cars, trains, or airplanes. His life-long friend Howard Hughes was instrumental in opening doors for Mann's exceptional talents.
Mann attended the University of Minnesota and UCLA, where he earned a mechanical engineering degree. World War II equipment that revolutionized military weaponry would not exist if not for his involvement. Incredibly, few Americans are aware of Frank Mann. He was the first Black commercial pilot for American Airways. He was also a distinguished military officer. In 1935, following Italy’s invasion of Ethiopia, Frank Mann flew reconnaissance missions for the Ethiopian army.
He served in the World War II Army Air Corps and was the primary civilian instructor of the famous Tuskegee Airmen in 1941. He left Tuskegee after a rift with the U.S. government, which didn't want the Squadron, an all-Black unit, flying the same high caliber of airplanes as their White counterparts. An angry Mann had refused to have his men fly old "World War I biplane crates" because his airmen had proven themselves as equals.
Though they were being given inferior equipment and materials, their squadron never lost a plane, bomber, or pilot, and they were nicknamed the "Red Tails.” After the war, Mann was instrumental in designing the first Buick LeSabre automobile and the first communications satellite launched for commercial use.
His pride and joy was a miniature locomotive enshrined in the Smithsonian Institute, Mann also played a principal role in the Amos ‘N’ Andy radio show. He moved back to his hometown in the 1970s.
Frank Mann died on November 30, 1992, in Houston.
Credit: Respective Owner ( DM for credit or removals )"
Henry 🦁
To cute critters and history, have a great Saturday.





21 comments:
Interesting biography. Those are some impressive accomplishments.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Hello Iris,
Cute kitty! Cute photo of Blacky.
Thanks for sharing Frank Calvin Mann, he was a very talented man.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Mae, the internet is just a great source of education!
____
Eillen, yes, my friend knows I love cats but have none and I love all the history snippets!
...history is written by old white men.
Liebe Iris, die Katze Blacky hat viel Ähnlichkeit mit unserer Nina, die wir vor 2 Jahren gehen lassen mussten, und mit meiner Enkelkatze Yomee. Süß!
Was Frank Calvin Mann betrifft - es ist wohl üblich in unserer von weißen Männern dominierten Welt, manche Menschen und ihre beachtlichen Leistungen unter den Tisch zu wischen. Zuweilen sind es andere Männer, die aber die "falsche Hautfarbe" haben, zuweilen sind es Frauen, egal welche Hautfarbe sie haben, aber schwarze Frauen hatten es noch einen Kick schwerer - wie z.B. der Film "Hidden Figures" beschreibt - die wahre Geschchte von den drei afroamerikanischen Mathematikerinnen, die maßgeblich am Mercury- und am Apollo-Programm der NASA beteiligt waren. Frauen wurden damals innerhalb der NASA als „Computer in Röcken“ und Schwarze als „Colored computers“ bezeichnet. Sehr nett, danke schön! :-(
Ein Film über Frank Calvin Mann könnte durchaus auch interessant sein.
Alles Liebe, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/07/weltreise-2024-6-station-neuseeland.html
Is there still an East Germany? Or did you mean Eastern Germany? Sorry, I'm being a pain , I know. And wow. I didn't know anything about FRank Mann. That's a very cool story! Happy weekend Iris. hugs-Erika
Love the Ink. All black cats are Ink to me after my beloved Ink. It's awesome to learn the real history instead of what was written by old, white men
Cute critter and interesting history, such an injustice.
In our news it was but the bombings around the opening of the Olympics. It was hard to see, such ... I have no words.
Enjoy the hopefully peaceful games.
My FIL was an unarmed police-officer at the games in Munich 1972. He survived (one police officer got shot and died, no infos got out but that and my MIL was pregnant with my BIL)... To peace, freedom and fun!
____
Tom, I hoped times are a changing... In our company there is many a female engineer, I am not alone...
____
Liebe Traude, "Hidden Figures"- danke für den Tipp - ist bestellt. Ich bin gespannt. Meine Freundin (aus der ehemaligen DDR) ist ein Mathe...genie? Ich werde ihr das weitergeben, danke!
Unfassbar, sowas.
In unserer Firma sind Menschen jeder Hautfarbe und Herkunft. Juden quatschen mit Muslimen, kein Problem.
Heute kommt der Film "Slave" auf deutsch im Fernsehen, ich bin angespannt gespannt.
____
Erika, in our heads there still is an East Germany. If my Nieces visit on Wednesday (I forgot yesterday), I´ll ask them!
How are you a pain???
Thank you for liking the history-snippets, more to come! - happy weekend and hugs
____
CJ, I love black cats, too - sad when you are even friends and claim all work on yourself cause you have "the correct skin color"...
That is a beautiful black cat, Iris.
Thanks for the history lesson.
Very interesting info. I had no idea he existed. What a genius!
Thanks for telling us about Frank Mann. I had no idea.
RedPat, yes, he´s a cutie! And yay to history!
____
gig, yes, interesting and great he gets to get known now.
____
Jeanie, you are welcome, I always love to learn...
I'll definitely raise a glass to science and engineering. Where would we be without them!
Growing up we had numerous black cats, this one is beautiful.
I've been having lots of trouble posting a comment here lately and don't know why.
Thank you for telling us about that. Great Frank Mann!
What a precious black cat. IOt was great to learn about Frank Mann.
You'll love Hidden Figures, It's a great movie. I have a cat on my computer too, a real cat, Lola, lying half onto the keyboard making typing difficult. Blacky looks a lot like "no-one's" Missy who dies just a few years ago aged 21.
Frank Mann was so talented, I'd say a genius, and it's a shame he was not recognised as such simply because of his colour.
Barbara, so YES!
___
Bill, yes, so beautiful!
Sorry, blogger throws fit at you, too... Happens to me also...
____
Cloudia, yes, I love history.
___
Elizabeth, Blacky is a cutie, huh!
____
River, I can´t wait (welll, I´m still at Sleepy Hollow, though). Lucky you with Lola. Sad for Missy, but 21 is .. oooold! A good life!
Frank Mann... so sad, because he was "friends" with that man!
Hello Iris :)
Lovely cat and photo. I once had a black kitten but unfortunately she died after someone shot her with a pellet gun. So sad! It's also sad that because of discrimination Frank Mann was not treated with respect. He was a gifted engineer, and I thank you for telling his story. Only Howard Highs knew his worth. I had no idea of his existence until now.
All the best Iris
Sonjia
That's a fascinating history lesson! Frank Mann is an incredible figure who deserves more recognition.
Post a Comment