Saturday, December 06, 2025

Mother Nature

I found this at FB: 
 

When a crow feels sick, it goes to an ant nest, not to eat the ants, but to bother them. The crow shakes its body, fluffs its feathers, spreads its wings, and lies still while the ants crawl all over it. As they move through its feathers, the ants release formic acid, a natural chemical that helps kill bacteria, mites, and parasites hiding on the crow.
The crow knows what it’s doing. This behavior, called 'anting', is its natural way of healing. Sometimes the crow even picks up ants with its beak and rubs them onto its feathers like medicine. No vet, no pills, just instinct. Nature gave them a cure long before humans invented one."
 
This is for ...
 

 The new internet series:

"Habits of the 1960s that would be unthinkable today 


 Pregnancy

Many pregnant women smoked and consumed alcohol in the 1960s." 

My Brother and I are kids of the 70´s. We sat in the back of the car and both parents smoked, windows closed. They smoked in their shop, customers were allowed, too, people smoked everywhere. Kids around or not. Alcohol I have no idea.

How was it in your place and time? 

Henry 🦁 

Don´t tell the Baby, but I read that Lion-Dads pretend the pain to motivate their kids!
Mother Nature knows what to do, right.
Happy Critter´s Day!
 

 

33 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Iris,
Thanks for the information on the sick Crow anting.
My father smoked a stinky tobacco pipe.
Love the photos of Henry and the brave cub!
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thanks so much for leaving me a comment.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Guess the 70s kids were just naturally anted with Marlboro smoke. My dad was a chain smoker until one day he stopped altogether. I never had that rancid habit.

Iris Flavia said...

Eileen, I think a pipe is much less bad than both parents with ciggies (Ingo smoked the pipe for a while and thankfully gave up and he did it outdoors, too). To a great weekend.

Iris Flavia said...

I bought "KIM"-cigarettes for my Mom when I was a kid - no ID needed! No idea which my Dad smoked. I fell for it, too, stopped, and now if I only see it my throat hurts... there were ads in the cinema for Camel and all, on the TV....

Lisca said...

How interesting to learn about the crow and the ants! Amazing!
Ys, my mum smoked too. I remember entering a pub in those days, you couldn't see who was there as there was so much smoke. When I was pregnant (in 1976) in The Netherlands, I had diabetes and high blood pressure, so I had a dietician write a diet for me. As we were an Italian household, I was allowed to drink one glass of red wine a day with my dinner. It would lower my blood pressure she said. My diet was fat free, sugar free and no salt. In a word: disgusting. I think I got my calories from that one glass of wine. Needless to say I lost weight and was only 46 kilos after giving birth!
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca

Iris Flavia said...

OMG, how tall are you? Wow, you sure gave everything for your baby! Well done! I have no kids so I cannot and dare not to even assume how that must´ve been! To a nice weekend... and... have a glass of wine?

magiceye said...

Incidentally even I have posted a crow today!
That's interesting info about lion dads!

Tom said...

..."clever and brave" is amazing.

Mae Travels said...

The decline of smoking as a socially acceptable passtime is quite remarkable. I worked in offices where smoking was allowed, ate in restaurants with smokers at the adjacent table, and shopped where smokers were rampant. Now it’s the habit of a pariah.

My name is Erika. said...

My parents smoked too. It was and is sooooo gross. I can just imagine how all our clothes smelled. And I knew that about crows. It's pretty smart, isn't it? Have a great rest of your Saturday. hugs-Erika

Bertiebo said...

How interesting about those ants and the crow

Iris Flavia said...

To crows and Daddies!

Iris Flavia said...

To know what your body needs!

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, much better now!

Iris Flavia said...

I think everybody´s clothes smelled of ciggies! Crows are so smart - as many animals, and... we are animals after all, too, huh - to a good Saturday, hugs

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, clever!

Kathylorraine said...

Good morning, interesting about the crows-they are very intelligent birds in other ways too. I was thankful I did not grow up with smoking in the house. My father smoked cigarettes from time to time buy my Mom insisted he smoked outside.
Happy weekend hugs from the lake

The Padre said...

And How About Those Awful TV Frozen Dinners And No Seatbelts - But Dang Did We Ever Have The Coolest Toys Back In The 70's - Old 8mm Film Over Digital iPhones Any Day For Sure

Stay Hip ,
Cheers

RedPat said...

They always say that crows are very smart.
My parents didn't smoke.

Iris Flavia said...

Evening here ;-)
Yes, crows use tools and all! Lucky you with no ciggie-smoke, but, well, reckon I´m Ok. Happy weekend and hugs to you and the lake

Iris Flavia said...

We are survivors! Onto the skateboard, blank knees, elbows and head... and here we are!
To being hip, cheers!

Iris Flavia said...

Smart birds, and lucky you, RedPat, but then... I´m OK.

Jeanie said...

The ants -- who knew? Thanks!

Amypie71 said...

I had a friend, well use to, who thought it was ok to smoke and have the odd wine during pregnancy, definitely not something I would risk. those ants give me the creeps being all over the bird.

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow! Amazing about the crow and ants.

All the best Jan

River said...

Very interesting about the crow and the ants.
I remember everyone smoking and drinking in the 50s and 60s, in the 70s younger people began to quit the smoking or not start at all, but way back then people didn't know the dangers. We were so used to the smell we thought it was normal. Much later we learned how nice clean air and clean houses could smell and how awful it was when a heavy smoker walked past with the smell of many cigarettes permeating the clothes. These days I have very bad fits of coughing, sometimes for hours after I have accidentally breathed cigarette smoke, but it is worse if I breathe in very old stale smoke in clothing that doesn't get cleaned often like coats for an example.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear friend Iris, I love ❤️ this information about crows. I knew they were intelligent birds, but I didn't know about this.
And Henry and cub look ready for anything.
Sending you warm hugs 🫂 🤗 and much love.

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, so, next time you get an infection you know what to do! ;-)

Iris Flavia said...

Wow. No good on that friend and yes, I´d rather take chemicals. I had the ant-treatment by accident in Australia - they were a tad bigger, too...

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, clever birds, huh.

Iris Flavia said...

I just have to see someone smoking and my throat flips - and I was so dumb I smoked myself!!!!! I quit some 25 years ago or so (some remember the day, I don´t even the year as I really did quit). Horrible, what a waste of money and especially health! They say the lung recovers after some years, so I should be fine, bit seeing or smelling it I cough myself silly, too.

Iris Flavia said...

Crows - and Mother Nature leading - are clever, dear friend Linda! And I think it´s amazing how Lion Dads really care about their kids! Warm hugs and much love from here 🥰

William Kendall said...

I did not know that about crows.