Saturday, January 25, 2020
The Red Door
Took this pic after we had a very local beer at the CRABBS-people - buy... ummm... drink local, right?
This is a bunch of young mates who revived a local beer Ingo´s Dad enjoyed back then (it´s a small world, huh).
A tad creepy, huh, the scenery.
Reminded me of this:
I watched the movie in our local cinema in Seesen, just a few houses up the road back then (now it´s long gone).
As maybe every girl I fell in love with E.T. ... and forgot.
Then at our local (here we go again) shopping centre (Madeley) - the Kingsway Shopping Centre I found this book at the free library they have now.
I was thrilled!!! I left other books there and here in Braunschweig at our local free library, but I took this one home.
E.T. was a botanist, I´d totally forgotten - or, having seen the movie translated to German back then they did not reveal this properly?
This is why we (have to) buy DVDs - so we can watch in the original.
We have to fight over here!!!
Ingo got Quantum Leap.
Aka...
And each and every time you have to fight your way through to get to hear the original :-(
Why are there so many German people incapable of speaking English?
Yes. We get translated every f##### bit to German!
Oh, how did we enjoy going to the cinema in Broome, they have the oldest outdoor cinema in the world!
And with the newest technology, too :-)
I remember we watched Life is Beautiful - we watched EVERY movie.
And... bummer.
That is an English title, right?
They give the original, right?
That was ITALIAN!!!!
So. Two German blokes sit down, hear Italian (which we sadly do not speak) and have English subtitles.
Greaaaat.
90 seconds later we watched a movie.
The brain is an awesome thing. You did not have the feeling you are surrounded by two non-native languages, you simply watched a movie!
Sadly we had to "laugh" badly when the German got mean.
People near us looked at us in ... disapprovement.
I leave you with a beautiful pic of Broome...
Sorry, I meant beautiful, not scary! ;-)
Different one: My Brother gave me his Louis de Funès-series and dumb me certainly picked the French language - with German subtitles.
A disaster. 1/8 maybe I understood, the rest I had to read.
It was easier with Italian, which I only understand "Pizza" ;-)
Speaking of. I remember I had a customer. He was Italian but lived and worked in Ireland.
Can you imagine his accent? Worse: When I have trouble understanding someone on the phone I tend to talk louder, no logic in that.
My colleagues sure had fun, LOL.
Lion of the day:
Thank you, Bill, for the Irish Lion!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










14 comments:
Goodness, I feel like I joined a time warp today. I never saw ET, so had no reference to the red door or the red light. Further, I never saw Quantum Leap, but Scott Bakula sure looked young in that trailer.
Sure enjoyed the Lion of the day, Henry's Irish brother.
Sorry 🙏! I didn't want to upset you with my comment!
ET war ganz gut, aber ich glaube nicht dass ich den Film nochmal ansehen möchte. Freie Büchereien sind gut, eine sehr sinnvolle Idee. Der Löwe ist sehr hübsch! Dir einen schönen Tag, GlG, Valerie
Nice assortment of photos. I especially like the red door one.
... the oldest outdoor cinema in the world, how neat!
Broome looks beautiful. I loved Life Is Beautiful -- I saw it in Italian too but with subtitles in English -- that helped.
That entry to the beer palace looks very disturbing and scary!
Great post and photos Iris, it certainly brings back memories.
Have a wonderful weekend.
That's cool that you have the oldest outdoor theatre in the world. Never saw ET and didn't know that there was a book too. The lion looks good, feels like an old friend. :)
Have a wonderful evening.
Quite a lion!
I didn't there was a book ET. And I didn't know he was a botanist. I enjoy that move but I think I need to see it again also. It's been years! I was a quantum leap fan too. I also haven't seen that for years. And fun photos of you and the car. We also do the same thing too. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Hugs-Erika
I remember loving ET and still do, I have the dvd on my shelf, I also have Quantum Leap, the movie, not the series, on a flash drive in the bowl with all the other flash drives.
I love the Lion door knocker :)
The Broome outdoor theatre is something I'd like to see in person one day.
Elizabeth, bummer. E.T. was soooo cute!
And clever, too, not only for kids! As Quantum leap - interesting thought, time-travel.
Scott jumps, or leaps into people and makes things right.
He has a hologram that helps, yet they fail to get him back to his time.
Once he leaped into someone in the 50´s, in a diner in the South of America.
He sat down, hungry.
He´d leaped into a black man. Months later Dr. Martin Luther King had his speech.
____
Ella, you did not upset me at all - bureaucracy did. I answered you on your last comment - please do not worry! Hugs!
____
Valerie, vielleicht sind es die Kindheitserinnerungen gewesen :-)
Die heute auch einen schönen Tag, und GlG, Iris
____
Anne, yes, it looked tempting :-)
____
Tom, yes, so cool! You can see the stars - Broome is without light-pollution!
____
Jeanie, yes, that´s the way we saw it, too.
But as English is not my mother tongue I at first thought it might be complicated - it was not!
I do believe through blogging and being able to get DVDs and watch in the original my English got better - we did not have this back then!
____
Alexandria, please, tell more!
____
Bill :-) Yes the Lion sure waves at you (from the inside).
E.T. is not only for kids, btw! It´s an Alien that wants to collect flowers and plants, but his crew had to leave and hence he is stuck.
He ends up - for a while - with a mother and her three kids.
He gets to know what beer is (.. funny) and also how greedy some people are. And how creativity can help you.
____
Erika, what is the same thing, travelling?
Yes, somehow that botanist-thing´d gone here, too. Maybe they said "botanist" and I was too young to understand what that means?
They likely did not say "Gärtner" (which would be wrong, too).
Yes, Quantum Leap is great - first time for me!!! A nice rest-weekend to you! Hugs, Iris.
____
River, there is a movie on Quantum Leap, too?!
Weird as it is... From Germany it is difficult to get stuff online!
As you see in the pic even Quantum Leap came in German (with English, too) - and that was Amazon, too!
How far are you from Broome? It´s worth a visit and when you do, Perth is not far away!
Grace and Sami live there, bet they might love to show you around!
Ingo still owes me a Pizza in Sun Pictures, so if you go and it is still allowed to bring in food - have one bite for me :-)
Oh you made me laugh tonight Iris.. 'Why can't more Germans speak English' 😄 I would love to speak one more language.. French would be nice 😉
Oh, French, sooo long ago, Grace!
I´d love to be able to speak Spanish - could´ve used that so often!
Post a Comment