Tuesday, April 02, 2019
A City Nearly Died
I have another interesting story (I think) to share.
Until October 14th 1944 Braunschweig "only" had to take 15 attacks and do you know why?
Braunschweig is right between Hannover and Berlin but because our Welfen and the Windsors were "siblings" most British soldiers spared our city.
Yet in the night 14th-15th 240 bombers threw 200 000 firebombs and 12 000 demolition bombs into the city, which was badly destroyed.
I tend to faint when I read about burnings, so I don´t go into further detail (I "read" Eckhard Schimpfs book about it - it was very horrible).
The article - those words I read - says the people were not only afraid of the bombings throughout the war but there was also anger and bitterness upon why they used civilians as targets.
But.... didn´t every party do so?
There was hate against the German government that started this stupid war, too.
Life took place partially in bunkers, horrible.
But some even were able to make jokes (just like we did in hospital in the last weeks with our Mum).
Right around the corner here back then firefighters arrived but did not help at first cause they had no mission order. Can you believe this?
For days the wooden parts of the houses smoldered and it was the French who took care the fires didn´t start again.
People were angry and mad upon this stupid war.
And despite it all people went to work.
The author of this article really lived just around the corner. "Our" house was not affected, as far as I know.
I think it is important to also tell of "the other side" of the war, that´s why I bought this book.
Not all Germans were bad Na#is...
Lion of the day:
What I am thankful for?
I never had to witness war. And that there are books like this one, people who were reasonable. And are.
I only wish we would've learned about this in school.
My Dad's Mum (I cannot remember her) once answered the door, there was a colored, huge soldier from the US, he wanted to ask for the way. She didn't speak English and ran in panic to come back with gherkins and butter for him. "Poor man" - he still didn't know the way.
Misunderstandings, huh? "War, what is it good for?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
Reading about War is so depressing.
Yes, that is true, too. But at school we just learned one view. "We are guilty" goes not for everyone...
I think we all should read about war. It is a reminder of things not to do again (although we always seem to fall into that trap.) The civilian thing is so sad but as you said, all sides did it. Germans to Brits in the Blitz, Brits and others to Germany as you shared, and it continues to happen even today, although I think some of the weapons are more sophisticated and able to better target. Still, things happen. I do believe it should be taught more in schools as well. And always look to those who helped.
It is good to know more about what happened in the war Iris, but I have to be honest these days I'm thinking more about what lies ahead for the world.. it seems #45 is leading the world back to those horrendous days 😱
It was a horrendous time.
Jeanie, I agree, we fall in the very same trap over and over again. So dumb and sad.
Grace, that is true, too, I never ever thought that big baby would stay so long!
William, yes, let´s hope it doesn´t happen again!
I agree with all of the above, we should all learn about the wars and hopefully avoid the horrors of wars, but that doesn't seem to be happening...
Still so many people suffering atrocities because of greedy people who want to stay in power at all costs.
I agree, too, but what I actually meant was that not all Germans were/are bad, yet in school they taught us so.
Post a Comment