Friday, November 08, 2019

They Are Real - respeggt



At the cash-out at the "good" REWE (recycling is much faster there) the guy in front of me was really unfriendly.
He just blurted, "card!!!"

The cash-out-lady didn´t look happy, but whilst this guy was giving his pin (yes, Germany, not advanced), the lady took a sip of milk-coffee from a real glass , not a cheapy paper cup - a treat she got from the bakery behind her.

I said, "oh, that looks yummy".
She stared at me, puzzled, then smiled and answered, "thank you, yes, it is yummy, indeed, in this cold weather it´s really sooo good."

Darn guy´d finished, so it was my turn.



And... she said to me: "Hello...".

Now, that puzzled me - we´d just talked, right?

Thanks to the darn recycling I got 26 cents back even, btw.



Cute stamp, no, I´ve never seen that before!



I think she is so used to "customers" not recognizing her as a real person, she turned into a machine, partially, over time.

How is it like in your place - if you still use cash-outs with persons?
(Here we have the automised only at IKEA!!!).
I always certainly see there is a person, sometimes in a good mood, sometimes sad, stressed or actually sick and should be home. Respect, right, not only towards eggs...

(Or the guy at our shit#y REWE we call "Fatty". He is extremely unfriendly, always, his hair is always very greasy (German: fettig) and he obviously eats a lot and does no sport. I met three neighbours in this house who complained about him, too, and when there are two cash-outs open and on one is Fatty, the other cash-out has a much longer queue. I understand you have a bad day here or there, but always?!)

Lion(s) of the day:



Taken again from the docu "Meisterjahre" showing the Braunschweig Lions holdings hands at the Eurobowl as the German national anthem was played. Respect, right.

17 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Klingt hart! Wir haben nur Rewe hier am Ort, Aldi ist im nächsten Ort, Lidl etwas weiter. Aber die leute dort sind alle nett und freundlich. Unfreundliche Leute sind schwer zu ertragen! Dir einen schönen Tag, GlG, Valerie

PerthDailyPhoto said...

So can't you just tap your credit/debit card on the machine Iris? I hardly ever use cash anymore. Sounds like you made the lady's day just by chatting, it doesn't take much does it to remember everyone is a real person whichever side of the counter they are on. Happy weekend xox

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Valerie, das ist hart! Ja, als ich noch mit bei Ingo und seiner Oma wohnte gab es auch nur einen REWE im Dorf. Darum bevorzuge ich die Stadt.
Aber wenn ihr wenigstens freundliche Leute habe, ist das ein Ausgleich, ein schöner. Dir auch einen ebensolchen Tag, GlG, Iris

___

Grace, on some machines you can, on some not, with some cards you can, with some not.... Germany, remember... behind, uahhh...
Right, I hope the lady could keep her smile a bit, it´s so easy to help out that way and it´s sad so few do (that I see at least, I hope there are others). A happy weekend to you, too xox

magiceye said...

The machines doing humans' job will never become human but humans become machines doing mechanical jobs, maybe?
Fatty should just leave if he doesnt like the job but maybe he cant.

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, to both. And both is sad. And/or annoying!

Tom said...

...six eggs wouldn't last long in this house. Remember that life is hard, but going through it being a grump makes it harder!!! Enjoy your weekend.

Iris Flavia said...

Tom, tomorrow I buy another 10 :-) These were just for 3 days. Yes, life changes all the time, doesn´t it.
I´m wishing you a great weekend, too!

Jeanie said...

Unless it is insanely busy and I only have a few items, I always try to go to a person because the self-cash outs I think are bad for employment and people need jobs. And usually we try to chat, or I do. Most of the time, pretty good. But I think you are right about the machine. So many just have people who ignore them that the cashiers get bored too.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Jeanie, yes, so many are on the phone even!!!
And I agree, it´s a loss of employment, those self-checkouts...
Glad you´re one of the good persons, too :-)

Lois said...

It must be a hard job. I would not want to do it all day!

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, tough...

William Kendall said...

I actually prefer using cash whenever possible.

Lowcarb team member said...

If I can I always use the check out with a person behind the till and most of them do actually talk to you … long may this continue.

Yum to free range eggs … from free roaming chicken :)

All the best Jan

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Where we shop, we have a choice between self check-out or a live person. I generally choose a live person, although the wait time is a little longer. Most are very friendly, which is nice.

Sami said...

I always buy free-range eggs too and I'm always friendly with the cashier and say a few words, but mostly they are friendly too.
If you are always grumpy makes the job harder and you shouldn't be doing it at all!
Have a nice weekend Iris.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I never go to the self serve registers. We don't have that kind of recycling here, but we have seen an uptick in the self serve registers. I can't make them work, so I don't try. Twice having disasters and having to have a real cashier come and reset everything made me never want to do that again. I also try to be friendly to the cashiers. They have to put up with people like me, so I like it when I can make them feel good about their jobs.

Nice lions today.

Iris Flavia said...

William, why?

____

Jan, that´s good on you! I learned that in Australia, too!

____

Spare Parts and Pics - good choice to take the live person, I guess!
It´s their income, too...

___

Sami, I agree with you totally, in all aspects!

____

Elizabeth, we need - and have - a live "supervisor" at IKEA, too!
But also At BIG W in Australia is always one.
I think in other countries but Germany it is normal to be friendly...