This is our red-light since... "forever". This is just around the corner. And certainly after a while...
My surprise when I went to the new doc to find this!!!
That´s how they looked like behind the grey curtain.
And maybe a "sign" we are one Germany after all, we just mix it up!
I would embrace if we switched to the cuties for good!
So far I only saw them in big cities like Hanover and here, Braunschweig. They only pop up here and there as little surprises - nice I found one!
Which do you like better?
I think they reflect the societies of the time a bit.
West Germany: Performance, work harder, more, get better, strive, move forward, no fuss!
East Germany: Take it easy. There isn´t much work or goods anyways. Let´s party! Let´s share!
As you maybe know I have colleagues/friends from "over there" and they told me many a story where at times I even doubted they were true!!
But, each on his/her own told me more or less the same!
Ingo had relatives there and visited - same stories, too.
Ingo once ordered a "GDR-care-parcel" for nostalgic reasons.
WOAH. fK was visiting - she grew up in GDR - and was all "sugared"!
I have a T-shirt and an earring (lost one) of the cute guys, too.
"My generation" will live with "the wall" stuck in our minds forever, especially people like me who lived so close, we could watch their TV-program or send helium-balloons over for making contact.
I was lucky! Bedtime? Ha - no!!! First Mr.Sandman West - but then also Sandman East!
> Staying up longer than my cousin near Hamburg - ha-haaaa!
Weee. How again do the light-men look like in Australia? I cannot remember! USA, never been there. Are there differences in the "Western" part of Europe? Will keep my eyes open.
This is for Tom´s Signs2.
Addendum!!! Tom sent me this upside-down traffic light!The Irish sure are very proud people!
The series...
"The tastiest dishes with the funniest names
I pass - too sweet.







27 comments:
I like the simple lights, the west ones, they are similar to ours in Australia. So east Germany is party country? I thought when the wall came down you would all amalgamate and be the same. When my mum visited long ago, she said she would bring me a little piece of the wall, but either she forgot or wasn't allowed to get a piece. It isn't something I need anyway.
You must be a striver then ;-) Which is nothing negative!!!
East Germany was party, yes. They had not much. Socialism at it´s finest. Good products went to the West, they had to do with the crap. Electricity was cheap or came with the apartment, same with water but you could not move where you wanted to. You more or less "got" a job and when there was no material, ... take the day off. You want a car? Hope your parents ordered one when you were born.
Alcohol, though, was cheap and parties were common. There were many communities and they were happy in a different way than us in the West.
Pop by, we have a piece of the wall in the city. Quite big.
I prefer the East-ones. Saw them in Berlin. And I would love a bear claw, this morning
Not everything "over there" was bad!
...Iris, your traffic lights brought back memories of Syracuse, New York's upside-down traffic light. Irish immigrants in the neighborhood couldn’t stand seeing the “British” red over the “Irish” green. So in the 1920s the traffic light was installed with green on to.I will live with "the wall" stuck in my mind forever too. Each night on the TV news there were stories about the wall and when the wall came down it was like a miracle!
https://uncoveringnewyork.com/upside-down-traffic-light-syracuse/
Very interesting post. That attitude exists in Hawaii where life is slower and more relaxed. Go to the beach and bask in the sun.
Love the erstwhile east germany signs better!
You sure have me laughing here, Tom!! The Irish are really, oh, boy! I really had to go back to my pics - I haven´t been driving for 6 years or such - boy would I be confused!!!!
Yes, the wall came down so quick, the people were here in no time (of course). Ingo as firefighter had to help, it was chaos.
And still there are - in railway at least - confusing bits of the old system!
That´s way more healthy, too (maybe not directly in the sun, but laissez faire!)
Yes, kinda friendlier!
Now That Is A Paw - Way Cool
Cheers
We have bear claws here, yummy.
We have bear claws here but they are too sweet for me.
I will have to look at our traffic signals.
Handsome Henry... cheers!
I´ve never seen them here.
OK, I´ll never try those claws! Yes, please look up your lights, RedPat :-)
Not a fan of bear claws either.
Those walk signals are cute!
Here, life is a little slower than many places in the US. People are not as driven, which can be both good and bad.
I am at an age where I´d like to slow down. ATM studying hours 9-10 until my brain says: NO MORE!
Bear claws are yummy.
Cute light. I love bear claws. Oh and lion claws. LOL
I just came back from a walk in the snow to check the traffic signals and our go figure is like yours but is white. Our stop is a red hand.
A bear claw is delicious. And it does look like a claw-sort of. I like the east version better-it's more vintage. I really liked the speeding signs in Iceland because when you were going a good speed you got a smile, and if your were going too fast you got a frown. hugs-Erika
Never seen them here...
Yes, Henry especially :-)
Ah, that´s different! Thank you for checking - in the snow, too!
Yes, the speeding smilies (or not) I´ve seen here, too. I´ve seen both... ;-) hugs
The east version is different
Post a Comment