Wednesday, March 12, 2014

(Good Bye) High German - How Ya Goin'



(Pic me early 70´s. Guess I couldn´t read yet and the glasses were fake ones, too - note the supercool "chairs" in the background! Gotta ask Bro if I can have one!)

I just had to laugh so hard, my belly hurt and my eyes were tearing!
Here in this region we speak the so called High or Standard German, mind you when Ingo joined the German armed forces in South-Germany waaaay back then his fellow guys there considered him being an arrogant asshole speaking like the "news-guy" on TV.

When he read there are "Krombeere" for lunch he was quite excited to see what he´ll get.
Um. That´s dialect over there for Kartoffeln, potatoes.

And back then when I was into flat sharing whilst studying one housemate, who was from South-Germany, asked me if I had a "Teppsch", he´ll get a visitor.
My first thought was - Teppich?? Carpet??? And I was about to ask him jokingly if it has to be a red one.
He could see from my face I didn´t get him right. He meant Decke - a blanket.

You know those "overheard in..."-pages?
There is certainly a German one, too.

And the one today sure did crack me up! It is funny:

The situation took place in a supermarket in Salzburg, Austria, to where a guy from Northern-Germany had moved.
At the cash-out the girl asked “A Sackerl a?" which means: Sackerl = Einkaufstüte = bag, if he wants a bag for his groceries.
He thought that´s Austrian for "see you" and hence said "Asakala" when leaving somewhere for quite a while. The "friends" told him only waaay later what he was really saying :-)

The short, full story is here.



Reminds me of 1995 when a retiree at a rest area asked me, when I got out of the car: "How ya goin'?"

And I thought, boy, can´t he greet first and told him straight away where we are going next.
Just to later think, gahhh, also in German you say "Wie (how) geht´s"!

Languages!

Asakala for now :-)

2 comments:

Sami said...

The intricacies of languages, even in the same language every area has different words for the same thing! Just to make life more interesting!!

Iris Flavia said...

And funny :-)