Thursday, June 17, 2021

On Names

 

 
As you maybe know my surname translated is Emperor.
Guess ...

My parents had one staff-member, her name was Pabst, Pope.
And one customer whose name was Graf, Duke.

"(Mrs) Pope, can you call (Mr) Emperor, the Duke is here."

Other customers... huhhh???

Once at work I got a phone call. (Well, more than once but this one was funny).

"Emperor." - "WHO???" - "Emperor." - "WHAT?!" - "EMPEROR!!"
"Oh. I wanted to talk to  (Mr. KΓΆnig) King..."
 
Mr. King was my boss´s boss. Try not to laugh and don´t say, "I send you down, then." 
He was a nice guy, Mr.  King.
 
Once we had two new customers. Boss´s boss wanted to be in the party, we were hence 5 people.
My boss started to introduce me first, as I stood right next to him.
You get the picture, of course, ... started with Emperor and ended with King.
The customers... Try not to laugh at those faces! 
 
Do you have such a funny name, too? (From some of you I don´t know the real names, hence...) .
 

See, one reason I kept my name after marrying Ingo. All the fun! Ingo uses my surname, too, very often cause his... complicated.
 
Boy. I had one classmate up to grade 5. A surname even more complicated than Ingo´s.
Side-note. A Perth-friend once sent a parcel to us. She simply wrote "Ingo" cause the surname she forgot (it was a surprise for me).
 
That school-mate ALWAYS had to give her surname letter by letter and she made fun of it speaking like real fast.
 
5th grade and ask me now. Like a pistol I can shout "K-r-z-y-m-i-n-s-k-i"!
DUMB knowledge!  (It´s pronounced "She-minski", btw, just to confuse you a bit more maybe...)
 
Have you fun with your name, also?
 

Henry 🦁
 

He just shakes his head (don´t break your brick-neck, Henry!). 
His friend and master was called Duke Henry The Lion. Not that complicated... 
 
* addendum, cause Ingo says I always assume you all know... my Dad was a watchmaker, optometrist, goldsmith, hearing aids admin and certainly businessman / tradesman, the latter other you are not allowed to have your own business in Germany. 
 


** addendum #2 - just talked on the phone to a company and the guy asked about my e-mail-address.
First name (iris) was taken hence it´s my second, flavia.
"With two 'vv`??
"No like the race guy"
"Ahhh Flavio Briatore 😁" - He knew at once.
My paretns were wise with my names (with my Brother´s not so much - he passed as female Helga and got all girly pressies for his confirmation... he gave them all to me, thanks, lille Bro! πŸ₯°)
 

 

29 comments:

Tom said...

...I haven't a clue what my name means.

Iris Flavia said...

Some have no meaning - we´d go nuts if every name did!

My name is Erika. said...

My maiden and married name are both pretty obvious. I was an Anderson (son of Anders, the original Swedish was Andersson) and I married a Nelson (son of Neil or the original Swedish was Neilson). Not very exciting. That's why I changed my name, they weren't very different. Love the block Henry too. I recently bought myself a lego set to work on, but so far I haven't had time to start it. Hope your day is going well.

Anonymous said...

Good morning, this was an interesting post I know my husband's last name has a history and it was changed from the original when his grandparents fled from Germany his mother's parents also fled from Hungry during the war. His last name was changed so it would sound less Jewish by his grandfather when they came to the States

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh you have no idea how many times when I meet people they burst into the song Amazing Grace, Google it πŸ˜‰ I mean I know I'm amazing but I get fed up hearing it all the time πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, that is interesting. Here names are just "thrown around", I guess! Lego. I don´t have the patience, Ingo assembled Henry.

____

Kathy, oh, that war sure sells it wounds! Sad you have to change your name cause it sounds Jewish. I´ll never get wh<t they have against Jews - hard working, honest people who mind their own business!

___

Grace, I burst into song, too! πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ No need to google THAT! Thank you for the earworm! Didn´t even sweet Obama sing it?
Amazing you 🧑

magiceye said...

Fun with names. Well here goes. I had 3 colleagues whose names were Wagh (Tiger) Waghdhare (Tiger catcher) Waghmare (Tiger killer). Go figure!

Jeanie said...

That's interesting, Iris. I'm not sure what my father's (and my) surname means. Yours are fun! I really love that photo of your dad at work. He was a handsome man.

Iris Flavia said...

magiceye, Henry wants to join the fun!

____

Jeanie, Dad, oh, well. He was a name-giver πŸ˜‰
Sad you don´t know about yours.

Anonymous said...

Iris-agree

William Kendall said...

My actual given name means warrior. I go by a nom de guerre online.

Iris Flavia said...

Kathy, yes.... will we ever learn.

____

William, Henry says: Yes, Sir, Brother!

gigi-hawaii said...

Funny post!!! My uncle married a German woman, named Helga, when he was a dentist in the U.S. Army in West Berlin back in the 1950s. They divorced about 10 years later, because Helga had an affair with a Persian man. Oh, what a life!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy! Glad my Brother´s name in real ends with an "e" then!!
Interesting. Do you have stories how it was like in West Berlin back then?

Divers and Sundry said...

My name doesn't have a meaning currently, but I'm sure in its beginnings in whatever language it started it meant something quite specific. Lost to time now.

Iris Flavia said...

Sad! Like... really...

Bill said...

I have no idea what my name means but yours are interesting. :)

Bertiebo said...

Hahaha, I love the part about the Pabst and the Graf and the Kaiser. And also: I kept my own name when I married. I never have to spell my own name. My husbands name: all the time

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Love the block Henry. My first name means God is my oath. i was named for the Queen of England. Bleubeard has two connotations. First, he reminded me of bleu cheese and second, when he was a baby, he had the cutest little beard.

dee Nambiar said...

"(Mrs) Pope, can you call (Mr) Emperor, the Duke is here." haha! What fun.

With a surname like that, it's great that you kept it. Me too -- didn't change it. (My excuse was that I couldn't let go of my byline. :D 😬)

Lowcarb team member said...

Growing up my nickname with some people was 'Jam', I'm sure you can guess why.
Strawberry flavour was my favourite back then closely followed by apricot.

All the best Jan

Spare Parts and Pics said...

My wife's maiden name is Noble... that's a good one!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I recall my mom taking her watch in to get clean at jewery store.
Coffee is on and stay safe

CJ Kennedy said...

Loved the work names story! 😺

River said...

My maiden name is also complicated, similar to Kryzminski, but a four letters different. Teachers and kids at school just couldn't manage to pronounce it, even when told repeatedly. My given name was another problem with teachers insisting I meant Elizabeth and telling me off for not knowing how to spell my own name correctly.

River said...

I meant Krzyminski..

Iris Flavia said...

Bill, I am lucky with this :-) Or sometimes not...

____

Bertiebo, I sometimes wonder why our Hubbies did not take our names for real?

____

Elizabeth, this is wonderful! And so great to learn about Bleubeard´s name - awwww...

____

dee, would you like to explain? I understand you are attached to your name, as am I?

____

Jan, visit me today ;-)

____

Spare Parts and Pics... now that´s a good name!

____

Dora, yes, still the same today.

____

CJ, Henry says thank you. He lifts his crown ;-)

_____

Oh, boy, River, teachers can be SO dumb! Sorry! Must´ve been very frustrating...

LOL, thank you for correcting the name and making me laugh big on that.
I have not met her ever since!

DVArtist said...

My maiden name and the one I still use is Campanella mean little bell in Italian.

Iris Flavia said...

Such a very sweet name!!!