Sunday, October 08, 2023

Lille Family Time - The G(O)lden Times?


As I mentioned the other day my parents parked me in front of the telly when I was little - in front of shows that were actually not really for (unsupervised) children, like The Muppets Show.

The only ones I liked were the Animal and the Cook, and certainly Kermit.
The two old guys at the end... politics, changed to German gusto but nothing for a 4-year old.
I never understood and I plain hated Ms Piggy (who did not???).
 

 Certainly this is based on Forrest Gump :-)

We have a book on The Simpsons...
 

I made many a note. Post(s) to come.


It is the second book! 
 
 
The first I gave to my then-boss at cgs. He is a mathematician. He never gave it back to me!!!
Hence Ingo had so much trouble with the 4th Dimension he bought a second copy I gave to my colleague(s). K is a fast reader and asked if I want it back when she is done or if she can give it to C (both good at math).
LOL.
ESE Braunschweig is infected!!! At least #16 - we have two places here (a new house is being build so we all have but one place, yet we all want to work from home anyways!).

At The Simpsons all is based on math, history, science. 
Yes, maybe you can watch with your kids. But... I would not let my Nieces watch this! Not by themselves, at least.
It implies too much. 
The Simpsons teach life - with it´s ugly sides, too!
 
We have it in German here, but when Nelson snarls "Riech dich später...!" - "Smell ya later..." (?)  you have to know that also smelling is a sense that can express feelings.
When Nelson wants to smell you again... he likes you. He is not the mean kid, on the contrary.

He is the misunderstood one. There are several episodes, one, where Homer even prefers and takes care of Nelson over Bart.
Can a kid understand this?
 
Yes, one can laugh about the boy who has no real home and has to reveal he wears his Mom´s old underwear. And the pupils laugh (and he... inside... cries).
 
In one episode Nelson sings secretly a sad song expressing how much he misses his Dad. Next morno he punches Bart real hard. It is not funny at all, it is sad. An adult should be there to explain.
Sorry if I have another opinion about this.

I saw a small docu on the smells. Women were to do sport till they sweat. The shirts were given to men. Those who liked the "odor"  liked the women for real. Smell ya later. Science-based.

Lille Family time????

Yes!

My Nieces do watch "TV on demand".

What nonesense is that.

We had three programs - plus East German TV as we lived near the border/frontier.

Sesame Street at 06:00 p.m. - Translated to German and later a German version!!!! My Dad and I quit watching that as "Samson" with his stupid "huiiiuiiiuiii" drove us nuts - poor Bro was by himself.
 

06:30 - The Sandman, ...
 

then - if you could sneak it in The East Sandman...
 

 
 
and then... it.was.bedtime!!!

Which meant: 
brush your teeth, wash your face, give a kiss, close the door, lights out, go to bed.

Only for a reason you come out!!! (Reason is: need to pee.)

My Nieces not only have "TV on demand" (on demand, that alone drives me nuts! We were happy when we HAD or GOT something, they DEMAND!!!)

Bedtime... drama-time! My Brother and his wife "care". It´s endless.
And then they whine to me it is endless. Home-made endless.

How was your bedtime?  Endless stories, cuddles, one more glass of milk (teeth sure love that) etc, etc, and etc????

When you wanted to change the TV-channel, btw, you had to get your butt off the chair and walk to the telly. Yes. Remember? Mine now is on my right monitor and but one click away.
Yet still:

Not "on demand"! 
We have no Netflix (would get German programs only and pay for that) - we look it up. 
Oh!!!! Sometimes Ingo comes in, "Lost places on N24 docu from 08:05 on till late into the night!"

We are old! 😉
And we live.

Do you have "TV on demand" and pay for it?
Ours is for free and... tell you what... I have books! And I can read by myself, Ingo is not required to read them to me.
Though, this is coming soon as I still have questions on Electrical Engineering from the seminar in rail systems... I have the .pptx on my work-PC and I.want.to.understand!!!

We had a nice chat the other day, K and I. We both have 5 books on the run. Ack.
How about you?
I need to retire. I need time. Playing lotto sadly is no option as I do not believe in luck for myself.

Or is there "LUCK ON DEMAND"?
Demanding was no option when I was little. AND!!!
When I asked big Nice if she has a wish for her Birthday:

"No. I have everything I want, I am happy".
Reckon Bro does a GREAT job after all - a teen in puberty said these happy words to me!!!!



16 comments:

Bertiebo said...

I'm a stranger in this world. I have never seen the Simpsons and I have never seen the Muppets. Of course I know about them, but never seen. And about bedtime: I went to bed and continued reading.

Iris Flavia said...


Your parents never found out??! I didn´t dare to secretly read in bed...!
You should catch up on The Simpsons.
2010 or such they predicted Trump will sit in bed, is president and twitters. Just one example.

Breathtaking said...

Hello :=)
When I was a child these programs didn't exist, but later in life I very afraid enjoyed watching the Muppet's and the occasional guest.

I sold all my exercise apparatus just recently as I am very afraid of falling. I'm sorry to learn that you have health issues also, and hope you improve with your equipment.

Iris Flavia said...

Hi there! :-)
All the guests were American and unknown in Germany back then.
Yes. I am with you! I hardly dare to drive my push-bike cause I´m afraid to fall.
But last night (as maybe I get a job not that close by) I dreamed I perfectly safely rode my bike!
Was a good dream, maybe my brain tells me my body still can do it!
Yoga is a safe alternative, have you tried this?

Tom said...

...Iris, you sure are a Simpson expert!

CJ Kennedy said...

I have watched the Simpsons, but I'm not a fan. I didn't like when the girlies were little and watched it. Until I changed the channel. We have streaming services because Himself couldn't get his beloved Boston Red Sox (baseball) through and antenna and free TV channels. Bedtime ritual? My bedtime was Go to bed. No story. No milk and cookies. Brush your teeth and go to bed. I didn't get into bedtime rituals with the girlies beyond their toddler years. It would have been endless!

My name is Erika. said...

Kermit loves Miss Piggy. I think she's fun, and I can't say I hate her. But I wouldn't want to be around her much-smile. nice drawings today, and happy rest of whatever is left to your weekend. hugs-Erika

RedPat said...

I never watched the Simpsons much at all. At bedtime I would take my book and read for a while and then sleep. Still do the same.

Bill said...

I never seen the Simpsons. No tv, no demand. :) Growing up, if I wanted to watch something I would have to ask. We only had one tv and us kids didn't run it. How times have changed. Bedtime was time to sleep but I did read too.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like your drawings.

Growing up we always had a short story read at bedtime and then to sleep ... As I got older I could read my book for a short while then it was lights out and sleep time.
Pleased to say that our children have continued this routine with their children, our grandchildren.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

I haven't had television service in years, and truth be told, I don't miss it.

Iris Flavia said...

Tom... I think you are right, a bit.
But it´s so interesting!!!

_____

CJ, that was my point. The Simpsons is not for kids - unsupervised. Too real.
There is (certainly ;-)...) a The Simpsons-episode on baseball. I have a note in the book on this.
I am with you on bedtime rituals!
Was that good? We still live...
Glad I have no kids and didn´t have to make a decision. I often felt lost as kid.

____

Erika, see. I was too young to underestand!!! Really? Someone really loved Miss Piggy and it was "my" Kermit? Ow.
Cold Monday here now...

___

RedPat, I was not allowed to read. Lights out.
Those were the days (or nights).

____

Bill, yes. I had to ask and accept a "no", too. As well as the "watch that now"!
I had my own very old b/w-TV at age 15.

____

Jan, thank you. I had no extra-light, oh-no!!!
Think your way is better.

____

William, I like the ... "noise" after a day in silence.

River said...

There is no "Luck on Demand" if there was I would have won lotto years ago.
I agrree it is more ideal if parents watch with the kids to explain what the kids don't understand, but if there is too much the kids don't understand something else should be chosen to watch. My kids even loved scary horror movies. Maybe because there is four of them and they all helped each other understand?
Sesame Street was a morning TV show here and there was a lot of learning, numbers, letters, colours and shapes as well as learning to co-operate and be nice. The Muppet Show was in the evenings about 7.30 on Sundays and after that was bedtime because of school the next morning.
I never had troubke with bedtimes, after dinner there was toothbrushing, the TV show, then bed. Friday and Saturday was different, bedtime was a bit later, same with school holidays and when the kids got older bedtime was later too. We didn't close doors and sometimes the kids would call to each other from their rooms until I said "enough now" and they went to sleep. sometimes they would read in bed if they didn't feel sleepy right away.

River said...

Miss Piggy loves Kermit and that is why she chases him and tries to scare away all others who might want "her" man (frog).

Iris Flavia said...

If .. no I played lotto once. Didn´r win. Never again.
Yes, having siblings helps!!!
With age I got more time, also. But then no kisses no more.
My Brother too young to interact.

I know now about Miss Piggy. I hated her!
As said, no one explained her feelings to me!

Jeanie said...

I have TV on demand and now watch it more than regular tv, which is pretty bad here. At least I can watch old shows or movies that way. I loved the Muppets. Still do. (But I'm with you on Miss Piggy!)