Sunday, May 26, 2019
Generation Obey-Them-All
I grew up respecting and obeying older persons, adults (and Santas).
I´m on my bike/skates/skateboard, I make way to others.
I was taught, and understood. There was no debate.
Rule. Period.
These days?
I JUMP when a kid speeds in my direction!
I cried or screamed over "nothing" - I got a reason.
In the face. Or on the butt, depending on whom giving said reason to cry about.
No. I´m not a Mother.
But I may have an opinion, no?
(Most) kids have no respect over here anymore. Parents glued to their stupid "smart"phones not teaching any values anymore, so how are the kids supposed to know anyways.
Teachers?
I read (too) many reports of them not really teaching math, German or whatever but rules, simple things like shutting up when (someone or) the teacher talks.
Saying "Good morning".
Not hitting another kid (or adult)...
Doing your homework...
Have you ever questioned doing not one of these, not greeting, not hitting, not...
I have Nieces.
I´m glad I´m only the Aunt cause...
It´s a very tough job to try to teach your kids respect and rules when other kids roam loose without.
"Oh, you´re just an Auntie, you can spoil them, like a Grandmother can do!"
(Back in the day we got useful things above toys for Christmas. No idea what my Granma got, though. And, awww, the sofa!!!)
We were in the supermarket, Granma and I.
I begged for potatoe chips (never sweets for me ;-)...).
She gave in, I was, say... four years old?
I failed opening the bag - in the store (after the cash-out) and started crying after a few attempts.
Grandma did the same - without the crying, that is.
The bag burst open and the yummy chips were on the floor - I threw a lille fit.
Granma grabbed me and weee.... my butt sure "hurt" and I had a reason to cry.
Other customers just passed by because it was normal in the 70´s to get a reason and today... I can even laugh about it cause certainly she did not really hurt me.
It was embarassement, rather, maybe astonishment, mental hurt, frustration (I fought so hard for those chips (war generation, not much money) and there they were, on the floor!!! And there was no second chance, either.).
What about kids in your place, do they show respect or do you have to jump to give way, too?
Am I too... strict, narrow-minded, old?
Lion of the day...
At the Cathedral...
(I´m sorry, it was so frustrating - AGAIN! I´d went shopping, there was weight on my back and I had to jump.
And no. It was no "learner", that I understand, there I jump, that´s OK. It was an older kid, looking me in the eye even :-( That is not OK...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





13 comments:
Oh that sofa. I had one almost the same back in the 70s. I have lots of old furnishings in my home but that sofa didn't survive the distance.
I think my Brother may still have it, but I have no space!!!
We are almost there!
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end..
Long forgotten (not)...
I think you are right in a way Iris. The trouble is parents almost seem to be scared of their children these days, as if any kind of discipline will curb their creativity 😉 I feel a bit sorry for teachers, especially high school teachers, not an easy job at all. They definitely need more positive support from parents, it all begins at home ✨
Yes, Grace, at home! My Brother and his Wife do a great job, I think :-)
But so many do not.
I think a lot of parents are more intent on being a 'friend' to their children. That somewhat negates the importance and responsibility of being a parent. It's possible, too, that some adults are unwilling to grow-up themselves.
Yes, I agree. But can parents be friends to young children? Not that I know anything of this - and who wants to grow up? ;-)
I tend to avoid children entirely, but that's just me.
Being a parent or child isn't hard or easy. I think it just away things work out. Each generation has it strength and weakness.
Coffee is on
William, haha! :-) So you just hope they will not bump into you? Dangerous (here).
Dora, maybe, yes, I have no idea. I am just disappointed of many here today (not all!!!).
The Liberty Belle - I cannot comment on your blog, it keeps refreshing itself...
Iris, I wish the problem was only in Germany but it is much the same over here as well. Too many entitled children, too little discipline. It doesn't have to be corporal punishment but kids don't have the respect they used to have. This started here about 20 years ago and now those people are parents, which isn't always a good thing. Or maybe they will learn and turn it around.
Post a Comment