Sunday, December 26, 2021

Mum Is Still Here

Our Mum. 
She had faith in me... a bit. She presented me with six Sparkling Wine glasses ages ago - none broken (knock on wood!). 
(I´m an Elephant in a China Store...)
 
My old home town´s hero certainly is no other than the one here!
 
 
And, Mum was Mum.
I called her "Mutti", my Bro "Mami", it doesn´t matter, she treated us the same - more or less!!!
 
Guess what he got!!!
 

The very same again, just for wine!!!
I never knew!!!

I have a "warming" fire, too, kinda, pressie from Ingo:


Our Mum. 
She would not let go in 2011, not over Christmas.
She wanted, I am sure... that I do not take her passing as excuse to hate Christmas.

We did have snow that year and Bro "forbid" I drive all the way to her.
I´ve been there every day - We had Toast Hawaii often. Bro and I... in the hospital´s canteen.
On "good days" Mum came along and .... sometimes she took a bite from one of us.

And yes. He forbid I drive. And he his 5 1/2 years younger. Times are a changing, huh, who is the carer now.

She did not respond to anyone anymore and on 29th I suddenly got very hungry.
Then a phone call from Bro. Mum was gone.

That is ten years now. Soon.
I didn´t know if to laugh or cry over this WhatsApp-message.

We both got horrible pressies and it was always.... HUH?! You have one, too, when we visited each other, even vases with flowers included, his blue, mine red, fake flowers.
The most ugliest dwarfs!!! I nearly fell backwards opening his cabinet (as asked).
He kept it all.

Oh! I´m lying - this was especially for me:


But guess. They sit in lack and this was a pressie by Bro.
They both grinned big, Mum and Bro.
And ... see title.. it was my birthday and they brought a Ten without Ham 🍕

Henry 🦁

He says hi from Seesen and Braunschweig.

To Mum. And Bro!!
Bet most of you can tell a story like this sadly, too.

Ingo´s parents are alive and kicking and I failed to wish them a Merry One.
 
I am sorry, but....

HOW?!
They could´ve wished us the same.
I´m not the bone that rushes to the dog AGAIN.

They should remember what a hard time this was and is for me.
ME-ME-ME....
 
Mum.... You stubborn donkey. It is a hard time for me.



 

17 comments:

Bertiebo said...

Of course your mother is still there. So is mine

Iris Flavia said...

Yes. And they really come and say hello through this 🧡

Tom said...

...physically losing a loved one around the holidays is difficult. Keep your memories alive.

Iris Flavia said...

I do Tom, I do.

William Kendall said...

My mother passed away several years ago. It's one of the reasons this time of year is so hard for me.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your mother will always be with you. I bet if you look in the mirror, you will see her. Maybe a little bit of her. The eyes. The way she tilted her head. Her mouth. And she's always in your 💝

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know your mother is still there for you, dear. It's hard at this time of year, and the memories get distorted as a result. I know you will make it through this time, though. Happy Boxing Day, dear.

My name is Erika. said...

I hope you had a wonderful holiday Iris. And nice glasses too. I hope they don't ever break because they were a wonderful gift and way to remember your mom. Hugs-Erika

Black Knight said...

Beautiful and touching post. Yes, mom is always with us, in our hearts, but I miss her a lot. She left 20 years ago when she was only 70 y.o.
I regret for not having spent more time with her while she was always kind and helpful towards us. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to remember her with this post.

DVArtist said...

Yes, having family leave us around the holidays is very tough. My Sister passed today 10 years ago. My mom Dec 4, 6 years ago. Miss them so much.

Bill said...

Nice post and memory, Iris. Your mom is hanging with all the other moms watching over us and smiling. My mom's birthday was Dec 30th and she would have been 93 this year.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's a hard loss even after so long.

peppylady (Dora) said...

That fire is so inviting.
Coffee is on and stay safe

River said...

My mum gave presents of things from her house that she didn't want anymore. And we had to keep them because every time she visited, she expected to see them on display or being used.
I love the fake fire for Henry to sit by.

Nancy Chan said...

Even though your mom is not with you physically, she is still very much alive in your memories. The glasses will always remind you of your mom. The wine and fire will keep you warm and comfortable.

Sami said...

It's always comforting to have great memories of your parents, and so nice that the wine glasses remind you of her generosity and love to her kids.
Hope you had a nice Christmas and wishing you and Ingo a wonderful and healthy 2022.

Amypie71 said...

Beautiful memories, I'm sure she is still with you.