Ingo as usual took off to the market on Saturday and got all for Steckrübensuppe.
He did this dish when he came home half-dead from hospital, celebrating life in 2008.
A man of 1,84m (he claims 1,83, but who cares about 1 cm - that´s 6 feet something) weighing but 63 kg (139 pound?).
It was a hard time. Oh so often I sat in Wolfsburg thinking... what if he´s "cold" when I come back, what am I doing here?!
But Ingo said, go to work, you wanna see me die here?
He´s still alive and kicking, or.... slaughtering a poor Steckrübe!
A rutabaga. A dish his Granma used to make. I´m not a fan but Ingo added Brussels Sprouts, so I "get it down" - kidding. Will not be my fav, but it was actually a bit yummy after all - and the DOING was FUN!
We had so much to add to this dish. Knives in hand, preparing a hot soup whilst the cold wind was furious outside.
It kinda made me think a bit of how our parents lived through winter 1945 - such a cold winter.
Waiting, from my maternal side - to catch a boat to Germany.
Not the Gustloff, my Grandma kept the family together. There were 4 seats and they were a "party" of 7...
Wiki says: "MV Wilhelm Gustloff was a German military transport ship which was sunk on 30 January 1945 by Soviet submarine S-13 in the Baltic Sea while evacuating German civilian refugees from East Prussia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland and Estonia[3] and military personnel from Gotenhafen (Gdynia) as the Red Army advanced. By one estimate,[4][5] 9,400 people died, which makes it the largest loss of life in a single ship sinking in history."
Luckily Granma said no, Russians in their back. She was some brave woman.
Out of 14 Grandkids she raised two. My Bro and me.
"Ach choi, ach choi!", "Ach Gott, ach Gott!" she exclaimed running over my lille Bro with her bike. LOL, I´ll never forget that - "Oh, my God, oh my God!". No one was hurt, so I can laugh about that!
Fierce, strong wind, icy cold, and here I sit, all long gone (Mum passed 2011) and Ingo put on the heating when he left.
Other I fight my way through with AA and count down the days.
Never have I looked forward to Christmas this hard.
My week AKA:
Monday I wasted time getting a Corinna-test and Ingo wasted his so I could take two monitors from Siemens home.
Seesh, with getting bread, too, I finally burned more than 2000 calories :-)
The whole week I was in "meetings" - it´s a pain and I do understand my T now, whining upon meetings, it´s mostly a waste of time.
Or people just wanting company. Working from home makes some feel lonely, I suppose (I am fine).
My left monitor gave me a disco-feeling. On-off-on-off....
P and C introduced themselves on Wednesday. I think they´ll save my mind and soul.
Both do not get along with AA, either.
And boy. From my "workplace" at the back of the room I see how the trees are torn by the wind!!!
The disco times have to stop! We dragged ALL equipment into Ingo´s car and drove to Siemens.
Not even 30 minutes later my Admin called... it was the darn console!!! I could´ve brought that over in my backpack on foot!
Saturday... apart from the soup making Bro called.
Oh.My.
I cannot understand!!!!! Not! So not!
I had the feeling I´m happy.
Time for myself. "Retired" but not lying on Ingo´s budget due to renting out. Learning to cook, bake, doing sport, sewing, "art"....
But .. no!!
My Brother flipped!
He said I sound so happy!!! SO.Happy!!!
How can that be?!
I´m under pressure (I´d rather like to perform Bohemian Rhapsody, believe me! ... haha, Freddie-joke).
How. It´s weird.
See, I "work/learn" 10+ hours, write down 8 max, it´s stress and I sound happy?!
Since this is for Elizabeth´s T is for Tuesday...
Harrrrr....
I do feel like a pirate!
I´m ready to fight.
Or just chat with people I never met, who lived just nearby and now where we had the yummiest Pizza and the worst beer ever.
Have you ever had wine (as a German) cause the beer was so bad?!
We switched to water as wine - kabooooom...
It´s on the way to my Bro, Ingo drives there every working day.
She has two cats and is fun.
The other claims herself old and is but 4 years older than me, why, thank you, that makes me old as well ;-)
I so hope I keep this job, it´s an up and down.
Henry 🦁
How´s yours?
Addendum!!! Yikes. It´s snowing!!! Bah.
20 comments:
What a long and interesting blog you wrote. Thanks. I've never heard of that soup. Let's google it later. Oh and Iris you also give me the impression that you are happy.
Bertiebo... I think I´m happy.
It´s a lot of pressure. Made by "AA".
Here you find the soup - wish I could invite you over, we still have a bit (Ingo cooked for whole family!).
A fortunate decision. At some point I have heard of that sinking.
...Ingo looks like master in the kitchen with all of gadgets! I'd stay clear of that HUGE knife!!!
My chopper is smaller that that big knife. I wouldn't know how to handle that big knife. It is wonderful to be able to work together in preparing the meals. My hubby will stay clear of the kitchen because he wouldn't know what to do. Lol! Looks like a delicious soup for winter. I like that gadget for cutting onions. No more tears.
Soup making is wonderful when it's really cold out. I like your photos of the vegetables.
I think all your readers are too smart to fall for the spam message that someone posted here! Who would contact such a fraud?
best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Soup sounds good and it is wonderful in the winter. It's nice Ingo likes to cook, too. I'm glad you are settling in. You will be fine at the job. Every new job brings its own challenges in the first weeks as you get to know how they do things or like them done. You've got this, Iris.
I made soup yesterday from my freezer scraps. I think you are happy and enjoying the challenges.
Looks like you had fun in the kitchen cooking together. Blinking monitor sounds like fun. Not. Glad you got that straightened out. New jobs are all up and down, but soon you'll get the hang of it. The best part is working from home. Happy T Day
interesting post-I love soup and making it together even better. I bought rutabago but don't really know what to do with it haha will search online-all those years I had commute long distances to work I would have loved to stay home and work-they had talked about it but never came to be.
Love your pirate mug-Happy T hugs Kathy
The post makes me want to make soup!
Soup sounds like the perfect thing for today. It's bitterly cold and windy here, too. Of course, making it with a loved one would be even better. Lucky you, lucky Ingo.
I always love reading your calendar. Glad things are working out job wise.
Your pirate mug is SOOOOOOOOO cute. Love it! Thanks for sharing soup making, that great calendar, and your pirate's mug with us for T this Tuesday, dear Iris.
We're having soup tonight with grilled cheese with tomatoes and onions. It has been very windy here since last night with Storm Barra making an appearance. Lots of rain and worst winds tonight and tomorrow morning. Be glad when it leaves. Glad to hear work is working out for you.
That is one serious knife in your first photo Iris. I hope the soup is delicious. I love soup, the hubby not so much. Maybe he needs to talk to Ingo about that. Smile. That is life, isn't it? Work takes up all your time, and when you aren't working, you wish you were. I am glad thought that work is going well and you like it. That is the most important thing since work take sup so much our time. Hope you had a great T day today. Happy week ahead. Hugs-Erika
Oh yes, it's much more fun to prepare food together. I've not heard of rutabago. I must look it up, but then, I'm sure we can't get it here. They don't do root vegetables. We can get potatoes and carrots, but no kohlrabi or swede, parsnip or turnip etc.
Yes, I think you are happy. You certainly come across as happy.
I'm glad you got that monitor sorted out as it could cause you serious headaches.
I love you pirate mug. Oh Arrr!
I'm impressed with your onion cutter.
Yes, you have mentioned this story before, that awful loss of life in the Baltic. And yes, the winter of 45 was very cold, my mum tells me.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca
SO many wonderful ingredients that are going into your soup. Sounds delicious although I have never had this kind of soup.
Sounds like you have had a very busy week between work and Ingo in the hospital. I hope he is back to normal although it sounds like he is if he is cooking soup.
Hope you continue to adjust to your job.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate
Love That Lion In Search Of Soup - Easy Peasy My Friend
Cheers
I am a HUGE soup fan!
So glad that things are working out well for you jobwise.
Happy Wednesday, Iris!
I really like soup and this sounds so good. I haven't had a rutabaga in a long time. I don't even see them in the stores any more. You are so busy and life seems to have taken a good turn for you. Have a wonderful day today.
I've never had rutabaga and don't like Brussels sprouts, but I'm a fan of onion and red pepper. Our weather here is clear and chilly. It never (or rarely) gets _really_ cold here.
Post a Comment