Friday, May 23, 2025

FFO, Smile, Ad Dat Du Min Leevsten Büst

 
6C/42F as I write this.... This is for Nicole´s FFO and Gilenna and I cannot wait for summer!
As my t-shirt I got 1991 in Braunschweig at H&M that is still somewhere in my wardrobe I really have to sort out (OK, it´s so worn I cannot wear it in public anymore, but I still have it and it still fits! And looks like in the lille sketch)
 
For Annie´s Smiles I have this from my friend fK - her real loved one is certainly her wife but she knows Ingo loves Platt, so just imagine this is for love and it makes you smile, wiki:
"The Low German language (self-designations Plattdütsch, Plattdüütsch, Plattdütsk, Plattdüütsk, Plattduitsk etc. or Platt for short) is a West Germanic language, which is spoken mainly in northern Germany and the eastern Netherlands."
 
Here goes, "That you are my dearest" - Bertiebo might understand the text?
I admit, I had some trouble, but started this:
 

Now to the song:


 
Actually "bad memories" as this was another man who rang the bell when my Mom and Dad were asleep... 
 
Ingo roamed our house long before I knew him!!!
Watching the stars with my Dad...


 
Oh! my window is open in this pic! I always could hear the rain...

Dad invited school-kids and welcomed everyone to share and learn.
I miss him, he was a good man.
He was, amongst other,  an optometrist, so the gear was not that expensive.
Today anyone can afford it but back in the day this was special. 
I sadly have no pic of the SIGN he had outside that everyone is welcomed, just ask in the shop. It´s for free.
 
Also another way to make people smile:
 
Some funnies, eh`?
 

 Not that I have a dog anymore....


She loved him more... LOL, think she sensed I actually wanted a cat!!! Animals are not dumb...

Btw...


Music is magic, huh?

 
Atm life is too stressy for that here... but isn´t that too cool!!! And...

 
Luckily my stomach is OK, Kermit!


Also I thankfully study at home...


To cuteness:

 
Men who can make fun of themselves are the sexiest... and "Dean" is a pro!

The series:

"These 17 German words are known worldwide – from “Kindergarten” to “Schadenfreude”  


#5 Fest

Beer festival, wine festival – we all know it. And the word "Fest" (and the German drinks popular there) actually exists in English. Yes, "Oktoberfest" has also become a household name.

All I can say to that is "Prost!", whether you toast with a "Hefeweizen" (a type of beer) or a good "Schnapps" (a type of schnapps) ;)"

Henry 🦁 


Happy weekend after another tough day soon! Studies: Physics. Meeeeh.



52 comments:

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

When we moved to Germany, we moved to Platt-Land - near Brunswik (Braunschweig). I had a tough time of it, but then I found on the radio: Dit en Dat op Platt, I listened every moning driving kids to the KiTa, and now I actually understand most of what that guy sings ;) The subtitles are ... divine!

Iris Flavia said...

Big LOL - Ingo does that still on his way to work on the radio!!!
The accent gives me a hard time, really, but actually we speak "high German", so why did you do this, for fun???

Ingo was called "arrogant asshole" in South Germany cause he speaks like "the man from the TV-news"... he was stationed there as soldier, not funny!
What would life be without accents, huh?

Iris Flavia said...

If you visit in person make sure to say "hi", please!

River said...

I didn't understand a single word he sang, but it sounded nice and the guitar was lovely, soothing even. Lately I HAVE been telling people when I see something nice, like their dress or their hair etc and it is nice to see the face light up as they say thank you.
Is Hamburg in the Platt area? I don't remember if my parents spoke high or low German and of course now it doesn't matter.

MELODY JACOB said...

It’s wonderful how memories like these carry so much warmth and connection—whether through language, family moments, or small acts of kindness. The way you share these stories reminds me how the past shapes the smiles we carry forward.

New post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2025/05/lochwinnoch-nature-reserve-travel-guide.html

Bertiebo said...

What a nice song! I listened to it twice and I think I can almost understand it word for word. Almost. I have to work now, but this evening I will sit down to listen to it properly again.

Annie said...

My father always told me how proud he was of me and every time he did I grew a little….in fact it was the last thing he told me and I will never forget that moment. I have always told my children how proud I am of them…and now my grandchildren 😀 It’s so important.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

GREAT you tell people, wonderful. Also great to see the smiles you get, huh?
Hamburg has a little Platt accent. I was in Tornesch every summer, nearby and it takes me seconds to switch to that accent.
My Mum went to a game of American Football with Hamburg with me here in Braunschweig - she never saw the ball but had a blast chatting with the visitors from Hamburg - thank you for the memory!

Iris Flavia said...

I so miss her. She was some woman. Thank you. I needed this on this cold day. At least it´s raining (I love rain).

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, those are fine memories! And yes, it takes not much to make others happy and stronger!!
Hopping over!

Iris Flavia said...

Wow. Here just a guess.... Maybe give me a translation (kidding I understood most of it, too)....

Iris Flavia said...

My parents never said this, nor does Ingo.
But Ingo presented me with trams and trains, I guess that is the same 😘
And Dad payed for the journeys through Australia.
Some cannot say, but do? Hugs x

Lisca said...

Oh, Platt is very much like Dutch isn't it. The song is delightful. He is an excellent guitar player. I understood some but not all of it. Mum &n dad are fast asleep but my door is unlocked , so .... etc
Yes, Graham taught me to tell people nice things and encourage them in what they are trying to do. It is so uplifting when someone tells you you look great or what you've done is wonderful.
Your dad had an observatory! Wow! That was very special. I have my daughter's telescope but don't know how to use it.
Have a nice weekend,
Lisca

mamapez5 said...

I guess we all have a favourite hidden away, only fit to wear around the house but we can't bear to throw it away . Your house and childhood spent there sounds interesting. I smiled at your memes and I love Henry. Kate x

Iris Flavia said...

Yes Platt is much alike indeed and yes, my door was open ;-)
Yes, Dad "wanted it all", just never a "Queen-concert" ;-)
He dragged us kids in icy cold nights out to watch the stars, ack!!! Australia is the better place. Wish I could´ve taken him there...

Iris Flavia said...

You are right - if I find the shirt... it end up on the wall like a picture!
"Interesting" is the right word for a kid that grew up in a shop ;-) x

Gene Black said...

I loved the song. His voice is nice and his playing was lovely. I want to play guitar like that, but I can't seem to keep those Picking fingers in order.

Tom said...

...Iris, keep finding humor in your days. Laughs are healthy.

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, you really had that cool astronomy observatory on your roof. That would be fun to have. And dogs know who they like. Some dogs like everybody-that's Miss Maddie. She would love you too. Her philosophy is that there are no strangers, only friends she hasn't met. Growing up we had a dog who didn't like any of my brother's or my friends. When my husband came along our dog loved him. She would even go out with him and not with us. I knew he was a good guy because of that. And he is. Have a wonderful rest of your Friday and start to your weekend. And it's cold here too. It's only about 4 degrees C this morning, and has been cold like that much of the week. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Story of my life to come...

Iris Flavia said...

I will, I know, I do, Tom!

The Padre said...

So Dig The Henry Smile Shot - Loved The Bro And Dog Photo - Enjoy Your Weekend My Dear

Be Well ,
Cheers

Jeanie said...

Your dad sounds like a good guy. Have a lovely weekend.

RedPat said...

Your dad had a great set up for watching the stars, Iris! How wonderful that Ingo went up there with him before you knew him.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Iris, I was being nosy and read what you were saying to Charlotte. I thought UK was the only country that had local accents but obviously I was wrong. It makes me sad when people make rude comments about the way others speak. Accents are part of the diversity in a country. When I first moved to Lincolnshire we heard the accent quite a lot and now it's very rare to hear it at all which I feel is rather sad. Your dad had a great set up and it's funny to imagine Ingo up there with him. It's like something that happened to us. Wishing you a happy and warmer weekend. Hugs Angela xXx

CJ Kennedy said...

What a lovely memory of your dad and his sharing his love of astronomy with others. The squirrel and Dean meme made me laugh. I hope your weather has improved. We're in for more showers this weekend. At least it's not snow

Bertiebo said...

Here you are: https://archive.ngw-online.de/uploads/media/Text_-__Dat_du_min_Leevste_buest.pdf

Gillena Cox said...

Very interesting post and thanks for linking tk Art For Fun Friday
Happy Weekend
Much♡love

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I always enjoy the Star Trek jokes. Nice guitar playing on that video!

Bill said...

Very cool that your dad had a setup to watch the stars. Tne guitar playing in the video is really good.

carol l mck said...

Love the 'little girl' creation ~ great music and humor posts ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores ~ clm
aka (A Creaitve Harbor)

DVArtist said...

Another great post. I love your art piece and I also love the German language. A really nice memory about your dad. Thank you for joining FFO and have a great weekend.

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

In our village many of the olders still spoke Platt when speaking to one another, and the accent gave me a tough time, I learnt High German in school, and studied in Bayern ;) So, two answers, to understand everybody, and because I love learning languages.
If I ever go to the Lion City again I sure will!

Rostrose said...

Liebe Iris,
dein Post war wieder eine herrlich bunte Wundertüte – von Plattdütsch-Liebe über nostalgische T-Shirts bis hin zu optometristischen Erinnerungen. Besonders süß finde ich die adoptierte Katze im Hundefell und das Luftgitarrekänguru 😄 Ich bewundere ja, wie du mit so viel Witz und Wärme deine Gedanken teilst – und das bei Physikstudium und Alltagswirrwarr. Ich hab mich bei dir mal wieder köstlich amüsiert!
Ganz liebe Grüße!
Traude 🎶🧃🐸
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2025/05/freundinnen-tag-in-der-klimt-villa-und.html

Christine said...

Fun summer art! Thanks for the smiles!

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed the guitar in the video.
LOL at the Star Trek meme.

All the best Jan

River said...

On his deathbed my father told me I was fat and stupid. I thought the cancer and painkillers had him confused, but he looked right in my eyes as he said it, so he knew what he was saying. I got over it.

Iris Flavia said...

Nah, the observatory was not fun for us kids. Due to light pollution best viewing was in icy cold nights, so Dad would drag us out of bed for the stars as this was far better, cut oh-so-cold!!!
Our dog got cancer and I was too young to ask to let her go. She suffered badly and got so aggressive I didn´t dare to get my bike cause she would go at me. I walked the 2 km to school. And ever since I am afraid f dogs.
My PILs boxer does not care! She comes over and licks me wet, ack!

Iris Flavia said...

I.Wanted.A.Cat! Or a Henry, that´s but a big cat.Ok, rather not. Cheers, dear friend

Iris Flavia said...

He was. Life is so mean. When he could retire he died of cancer. Makes me mad still, but that is life (darn smoking!! That is dumb!) To a lovely weekend, sun is out! But I will have to study.

Iris Flavia said...

RedPat, and I was wondering why Dad just said yes as Ingo asked if he can take me for 6 months to Australia as we were just together! And I only learned this fact of knowing each other so long lately!

Iris Flavia said...

There are even ugly accents here, Saxony from former GDR and Ingo dragged me into a bus for two weeks through Tuscany with "them"!
And once you learn how nice the PEOPLE are accents do not matter :-)
A bit warmer but not warm enough! At least sunny hugs xXx

Iris Flavia said...

You still have to expect snow???? I am sorry, that is awful! Here maybe t-shirt-weather... Yes, sad, Dad had to leave so early....

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you!!!!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, happy weekend to you, too!

Iris Flavia said...

To Star Trek!

Iris Flavia said...

Dad always needed some hobby, he had many! That, or work...

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, glad you had fun reading is. Thanks goes to FB for most, though!

Iris Flavia said...

LOL, I would not call it "art" exactly... I need to get back to watercolors but studies are tough atm... I know few who like "my" language... yes, Dad.... Ingo is 8 years older than me and his Dad is still around. Aw, well, life, huh, to a great weekend anyways!

Iris Flavia said...

Liebe Traude, was soll ich auch tun? Den Kopf in den Sand stecken kommt (noch?) nicht in Frage... Schön, dass du es mochtest! Positive Rückmeldungen bauen auf! Ganz liebe Grüße zurück und ein schönes Wochenende!

Iris Flavia said...

12C... I really wait for summer! So... to Smiles!

Iris Flavia said...

The guitar-video really is sweet - Bertiebo gave the text in English, btw!