As you maybe know I lost my job and in hard lockdown there is not really a chance to find one so I...bake and do stuff ...
I found a recipe for the BEST bread ever! Low carb and you can freeze it with no worries, comes out fluffy again!
Then I had butter... best-before-date was gone, but it smelled OK, so I looked for a recipe to pimp and freeze it.
Orange-cest, some herbs, chilli... ét voilà!
I had the bread with a thick layer of the pimped butter, YUM. You need nothing else.
I was heading into my 5th year of life.
The doc said I´m too small and skinny and hence I was sent to a home where fat kids were to loose, thin/small kids to gain fat.
It was plain horrible, also because the staff said: No pressies from the parents on birthdays - we provide a coloring-book and crayons (the ones with the "ball" on top for beginners, I hated them ever since).
Three other kids got pressies from their parents. Not me. I felt forgotten (and later was the only kid left at the train station cause my parent´s new car´d broken down).
Two lanes in the eatery:
One for the ones to gain, one for the ones to loose fat.
I got bread with very thick butter - EWWWW!
But I had a "fat" friend. We - and how dumb is that, but luckily! - we were allowed to share a table.
Certainly he took my bread and me his. Yah, guess. 🤣
Our parents sure were surprised there was no progress!
By now I love butter. Especially the pimped one!
Sad I don´t have the name of that "boy", he was my big help, shy as myself. Would like to find out what´s become of him, maybe he is a cute Mr Sexy by now, who knows. Or a cuddly carer?
It was January, at the ocean (Langeoog?) - we were out and about in any weather!
Art-wise hence:
Invisible detail...
And the journal:
The lille fire? Post to come...
And another time-warp, I DID this 😁:
To make you laugh: Breast-story #2 (kinda):
I was out in a pub with a colleague, music was blaring loud.
He asked how my day was, actually he shouted that at me, due to the loud music.
I hence shouted back, "THAT OTHER COLLEAGUE GAVE ME A REALLY..." -
... guess, pause till the next song and into the silence I yelled "SHITTY CODE!" (beschissenen Code) with "code" in German for non-IT´lers is "Kot" which means "animal POO". So I actually shouted (for German ears) "SHITTY POO!"
Guess how many heads turned into our direction. My colleague (and I)... "leave your body", that was our wish. (There´s a The Simpson´s-episode on that wish from Seymore´s side)
Yeah. I always take the winner´s pot, not.
Reckon none of you wants to go out with me now anymore?
To join Elizabeth and Bleubeard´s "T Stands For Tuesday" ...
Before the making to show you this beauty properly (and yes, that´s still Santa - but it´s the biggest cuppa I have!):
And our Henry 🦁? He feels spring (24 days to go!!!! Birds are chirping) - he cant wait! 17C expected, yay!!!
Addendum: Found this in the street as give away:













36 comments:
I can't believe you got sent away to get fattened up!! That seems cruel. Why not just tell your parents to feed you a bit more of everything? Maybe you would never get fat anyway, some people are always thin, no matter what.
It was doctor´s orders and I was only 4 - not an age to argue about that. But now I need to do sport to not get fat, LOL.
But yes, it was horrible. I was a very, very shy kid (I still am, maybe both).
That tea seems like it would be really good! Nice to have with your bread :-)
The tea sadly looks better than it tastes... aw, well.
Laurie, I don´t know if they do this anymore, sending especially such small children away, those were the 70´s 😉
But you sure are right the other "fat" children sure must´ve had a hard time.
When Ingo was in reha he said he had to eat and eat and the "fat" adults sat on the other side, but could see the thin ones. A dumb concept, I think!
Oh Wow, fancy being sent away to be fattened up or slimmed down, how sad for you to have no birthday pressies. I love that you found a friend and it would be interesting if you found him.
I love that you use all food stuffs and make interesting things, pimped butter!
Sorry I didn't realise you lost your job, sadly I think many more will before this is over.
Take care
Jan S
Fancy, well 😉.
For a shy kid it was horror. But I live, right! All good. They gathered kids from all over West-Germany, so I have no idea where to search.
Yes, cooking/baking I started only when I lost my job , one good thing at last...
Clever pimped out butter in a car pan. Little You is so cute with your rake. Your memory is sad or maybe bittersweet. Sad because you were so little to be sent away from your parents and they were only trying to the the best for you. Sweet because of the friend you made. If you want to try to find him and you are on Facebook, you could make the post public and ask did anyone attend the home from and the time you spent there? If others make the connection, you might be able to find your friend. As to going out, you'd be hilarious to be with. You're hilarious here! The tea caddy is so pretty and I use Christmas cups all year long. Whatever happens to be clean. Henry looks pretty fierce and like him I'm looking forward to warmer weather. Along with the warmer weather let's home we can finally Corona to the curb and get back to normal. Take care and Happy T Day
I remember we had places like that in Holland too. Our parents always threatened us (particularly my sister who was a very poor eater) with what we called the 'colony'. But that was in the 50s when the country (and its inhabitants) were still recovering from the hunger and food shortages of WWII. Were you in DDR in those days?
I must say you bread looks very yummy, almost like a cake. Can we have the recipe please?
Your orange and lemon infusion looks very nice. Just the sort of thing I like drinking. And the Radler of course is my favorite. It's not the same as Shandy. I don't like Shandy, but I love Radler. It's not so sweet and has lemon in it, whereas Shandy is made with lemonade (I think).
The kookaburra tea-bag-holder is cute. I didn't know what a kookaburra looked like (I know the name from songs), so now I know!
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca
Fabulous post! The bread with the pimped butter looks so yummy 😀. That's a lovely photo of you, thanks for sharing and your friend sounds wonderful, I wonder what became of him? Loving your art with those snowflakes and the tea sounds very tasty, I'd love to try a cup with you! Henry looks very regal, cheers and Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x
CJ, I would never know if it´s the real person, so... rather "dangerous"? It were kids from all over West-Germany.
Thank you for saying you´d go with me ;-)
I have Christmas stuff here in general all year long (just bits and pieces of course).
I hoped Corona might die in the cold, but whatever it takes I want back to normal!
____
Lisca, no I grew up in the West, luckily!
I put up the receipe tomorrow :-)
In summer I love a good Radler, too - or an ice-cold beer!
Have you heard a Kookaburra? We call them "lachender Hans", too.
Hugs
____
Jo, you´re always welcome for a tea :-=
Hugs
...most things are better with butter!
I So Agree With Mr Tom, More Butter Is A Solid Answer - And The Photo Of You As A Kid, My First Thought, Practicing For The Sport Of Curling Before It Was Cool - Well Done
Cheers
The doctor told my grandmother I was small for my age, but not to worry that I didn't eat enough. He said if I got hungry, I would eat. Such a sweet Dr., because now all I want to do is eat (and eat and eat). If I went to the Dr today, I would be considered fat. NOT OBESE, but fat. My ideal weight is anywhere from 95 to 98 lbs. I weigh 116 (as of last week). I'm 20 lbs over my ideal weight. I should probably go on a diet, but, like you, I like real butter, along with real coffee cream.
LOVE your calendar. I was going to ask about the fire, but I see I have to wait for it.
That orange-lemon tea looks wonderful and using a Santa mug makes it festive. I REALLY love the kookaburra teabag holder, though. It's a real gem.
Thanks for sharing your bread and pimped butter, your story about the fat/skinny farm, your calendar pages, your tea, and your teabag holder with us for T this Tuesday, dear Iris.
Would love that low carb bread and pimped up butter!
That is the saddest story -- to be sent away at such a young age to gain weight. Maybe that was something done more then. I could see it as a teen or older person, when a child can really understand but that's so young. And then no presents. I think I would have had issues about that for a very long time.
The butter looks delicious and I can imagine how delicious it would be on a wonderful piece of bread. I read above you will share the recipe! I can't wait!
I like that tea cozy.
How sad to mistreat a 4 year old that way! I wonder how much you can really remember about your reaction to this abuse. I'm sure your parents couldn't help complying with the orders of the medical profession!
be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Oh my gosh I've never heard of such a thing as that Iris! It's always been the parents responsibility to make sure kids eat healthily. Love the sound of your pimped up butter, I hate to waste food also and often rustle up something with any left over veg etc before I do a new food shp 😊
I never thought to pimp out my butter, sounds interesting. I always buy Danish butter, it's just yummi.
Poor you, I can't imagine being sent to a place to put on weight or lose weight as a kid.
I had a friend when I was a kid who was obese, but her parents always insisted on her finishing all the food on her plate. Then she would hide chocolates and sweets under her bed and eat them at night.
As an adult she got bigger and bigger and had a gastric band surgery. She lost a lot of weight, but sadly just wanted to eat and eat and put on weight again. Eventually she died with a heart attack at about 50 years of age.
I was very skinny when I was a kid. My mother forced me to eat Weight On pills but it did no good. Now, look at me. I am so obese due to medication and sedentary life style. So sorry you were sent away to gain weight. That must have been depressing.
Four years old? That's terrible. Maybe you can track down your friend via Facebook. You don't know his name, but if you describe the situation, he might recognize himself or someone else will
I love that idea of the pimped butter. I'll definitely be remembering that :) Your story is a sad one :( The Kookaburra is my favorite bird, and they weren't on display during my last trip to the zoo. Your teabag holder brings a smile :) Happy T Tuesday!
wow- I can't believe there were actual places to send children whom "some expert" deemed too fat or too skinny:( Gosh, you looked adorable and perfectly fine iris!
Your bread sounds yummy, and I love to "pimp"/ make compound butter sometimes. I tend to use flavorful herbs like rosemary and thyme or sage.
Love the tea holder and Henry photo along with your fun planner art! Happy T day!
So sad to be sent away when you were so young! I love that diary with the hearts!
Tom, absolutely! :-)
___
Padre, you sure made me laugh, Curling I only know from The Simpsons!
____
Elizabeth, I do not look up what that´s in kg and I have a tip for you: No weighing. I don´t have a scale, I just don´t care, as long as the clothes fit, all is OK (I have one pair of jeans that tells me... less butter?)
It was a mini-mini-fire and luckily I was still asleep!
Next time I can present another tea-bag holder :-)
Happy T-day, dear host!
____
magiceye, recipe is online tomorrow on already another request, the butter was just... not really after recipe, just got some ideas :-)
____
Jeanie, yes, to add: before that my Dad "left" me in the woods, I´m still alive, those were the 70´s!
Tomorrow the recipe will be on!
____
William, yes, have you heard the birds, we call them "lachender Hans" as they seem to laugh.
____
Grace, that was the way in the 70´s her in West Germany...
Yes, I hate to waste food. Both parents learned what hunger was in WW II, I am raised like this, hence.
Plus... I have a brain! LOL
____
Oh, my goodness, Sami, what a sad story - and it´s the parent´s fault, too!!!
Here we had one show from the US "my life with 300+ kg" and then one with even more weight.
I am lucky to faill to understand how you can get that worse...
____
gigi, pills for a kid?!!! That´s even worse!
Medication can be nasty with side-effects. I´m sorry!!
____
Bertiebo, I´m afraid to attract "wrong" people that way.
_____
Divers and Sundry, those were the 70´s, we survived, right?
Yes, such cute birds! Noisy, though!
____
Linda, yes, I was and am small (maybe not skinny anymore, though!)
Thank you and a happy T-day!
Mae, blogger sneaked you in. I don´t see it as abuse. My parents didn´t know better. It was awful, yes. But here I am - happy and all, I have no hard feelings, it was the 70´s! They didn´t know better...
Sounds like a terrible memory with the exception of your friend. You are the second person I heard of this year that was sent to fat camp. Apparently, the USA had them as well.
Love the sounds of low carb bread. And yes, slather on the butter. The more the better.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate
Well, in my case it was a "too-tiny-camp" ;-)
There is a The Simpsons-episode on a fat-camp, though! Also kids, how sad.
Hmmm, butter!
I can't believe they sent you to a place to gain weight. That sounds so terrible. And no birthday gifts. That is something to scar you forever. I was always super skinny until I was a teenager and then its been a struggle. I wish I still was too skinny. Smile. But your butter sounds yummy. You should share this bread recipe with us one of these days. I hope you had a great T day Iris. Hugs-Erika
Erika, it was like that in the 70´s. And with the first child parents still are in try and fail-mode, I reckon.
They were the only parents to stick to the rule. And in the aftermath that was OK. The rule was there to not make the others jealous. Recipe is on the way - hugs from here :-)
Never heard of kid being send off to be fatten up. I knew kids that was send to fat camps, to loose weight.
I sure wasn't a fat kid growing up.
Plus never heard of pimp bread.
Coffee is on and stay safe
Yes, these days it´s rather teenagers, not kids, but still both, skinny and fat, the world never changes...
They should have sent you to my house. You would have fattened up right away. I love reading your posts. You are a very interesting, strong and beautiful lady. I think if we could hang out together you and I would get into a lot to fun trouble. I love the bread and the "pimped" butter. Have a great day Iris.
Never heard of anyone being sent to be fattened up. LOL Great story, though.
It is good that you can remember it and not be emotionally disturbed by it.
I was a skinny beanpole as a child, boy did that change later! Regarding your teacup being Christmas; mine was this week, too. My favorite cup all year round is a Starbucks Christmas mug. Happy T Day.
Nicole, that would be great to have some fun trouble!!! :-)
I´m not good with compliments, but: Thank you!
____
Sharon, it was along time ago. To Christmas! And not fatting up - these days I need to do sports against that!
Post a Comment