Thursday, March 19, 2015

Luckily (?) I Am (Or Was) A Wessie



Now this is really weird. I found this article from a former East German photographer.
There were places where both could go on holidays back then, like Bulgaria.

East Germans were not allowed to make contact to West Germans. And had to witness that the staff cared a lot more about the West Germans, too.
Can you believe this? Sure, “we” had money, we could tip with D-Mark. Still.

Same in Budapest – East Germans were allowed to exchange money – 40 DDR-Mark, which is nothing, not even enough for a hotel.
Common question was: Are you German? East or West?

At Lake Balaton in 1983 they did meet, East and West. West Germans offered rides in their Mercedeses, Holdens or whatever, handled West-German newspapers over. At the end of the day, East Germans crawled into their tents, whereas West Germans checked into their hotel rooms.

Some managed to sneak in West German calendars and got “rich”, selling them. Just… there was nothing to buy from the money.

I dunno.
At school in history all we seemed to learn about was that Austrian little man who caused such horror in the world.

Did we learn anything about East Germany and it´s people? No!
These days I work mainly with former East Germans and often find it hard to believe what the older ones tell me about how living was like "over there".
Especially when it comes to plants – I still have to ask where, when and how to plant my Gallipoli-Poppy-seeds, thanks again, Grace, East Germans learned that at school, we did not.
They did because… they needed to grow their own food, can you believe that.
Often I “joke”, hey, I´m West German, how am I supposed to know this? And yes, we joke, without hard feelings. We are colleagues, we like each other. It´s no one´s fault or influence.

I know that one of you just set off in a plane from Frankfurt when the wall finally fell – I wonder, though: What went out into the world, how did others think about Germany being reunited?
Was it a matter at all?
Did you think, hey, they go way too fast, it won´t work that way?
Or, hey, dangerous! Not them again?

We in West Germany sure thought, hey, too fast!
For 40 years they lived in socialism, they just don´t know what hard work was – and many failed, like… leaving work “shortly”, like they did in the East, to see a doc, go get a hair cut or such – and got fired.
Many complained, too.
In the East they didn´t have had much – but apartments were cheap, heated and with water, there was “work”, there was a “plan”.
Now they had to make their own decisions, get active.
You can really say those who wanted to be successful came over into the West – the others stayed in the East.
And even today – though everything is newer in the East… they are still poorer, there is still less work, fewer good jobs in general.

Universities are better over there, though.

I dunno. I guess I really am some lucky gal. I grew up in “the golden West”.
It sure was another world over there, weird, what 40 years can do!

Nice to see that some of their stuff survived, like the Spreewald Gherkin, Hallorenkugeln, Rotkäppchen-sparkling wine and such.
Hmmm, guess I need to ask Ingo to make a Soljanka :-) Just give it a go – super-yummy! I had it three times - due to getting to know it only last year, when we indeed were in East Germany!

Did you witness the wall falling, what did you think?

12 comments:

Ingo said...

I came from a village (op platt wi schnack "von Dörpe") There we learned when picking fruits (don't think about stealing ;-)we (the kids) called it "mouth robbery")Started in Mai with strawberries, followed by cherries, plums, peaches and last apples and pears in September!

Iris Flavia said...

Wessie-you-village-kid knew when to eat what - Ossis knew when to plant and grow before that! ;-)

Ingo said...

And they know how bananas smell, and don't have the time to stand in a queue (could be a long time of waiting)!

Sami said...

We were on a plane out of Germany when the pilot announced the fall of the wall. Everyone was excited with the news. Although I think people thought it would take a while for East Germans to integrate with the West German way of life, I didn't think it would take this long and still not totally integrated, or still living two different lives...

Iris Flavia said...

I know, I meant you, Sami ;-)
Yes, weird there is still the same problem for so many...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm keeping my pickled gherkin cool in the fridge for a special occasion Iris :)

Iris Flavia said...

That Gherkin truly is honoured, I suspect, Grace :-)
Hope you like it!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also remember when the wall fell. It's hard to imagine after all these years, Germany still feels that way. I have read how SO many tried to get to the west, one would think the east would surely embrace their new found freedom. I'd say you WERE and ARE quite lucky, dear. Thanks for sharing this second look on the 2nd.

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, it´s weird.
I wonder when the wall will be gone. It is not yet.
Not in our heads, heards, streets, houses (you really do feel when you "cross over there" - much better, all "new". Not for long and it will be the other way round again!

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fascinating post and I am glad I could read it since I didn't know you back in 2015. Thanks for the repost. And fascinating how life differed between the east and west. Happy March Iris. Hugs-Erika

Lisca said...

What an interesting post. I remember our eldest (who is English) was studying German and went to Rostock for a year to practice (after the wall came down). He worked for a business that didn't have a clue about marketing etc and he ended up teaching them the basics of marketing/business and helping the business do better. I think they were very thankful to have him working there.
People in East block countries that wanted to travel could get a permit, but they didn't have any money, so via via they would organize to stay at people's home. When I was still living at home we had a Hungarian couple staying with us (My uncle plays for a famous symphony orchestra and he had contact with Hungary). They had no money at all but that didn't matter. My dad took them everywhere he could and we enjoyed their visit very much. It's not always about money.
I had an east German penfriend as a child and she would send me pictures of singers and film stars printed on that very rough paper, and she had this old fashioned German handwriting that I had trouble deciphering. I often think about her and wonder what has become of her.
Thank you for an interesting post,
Lisca

Anonymous said...

Great second look-hugs