Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Perth, 14/02 – Dive Huge
What a day!
I was on the bus 08:06 and shortly after crammed like I´ve never before been, squeezed in a train or place ever from Warwick on.
Not as worse as Japan, but still – bummer!
In Perth I headed to Hay Str crn Hill street and waited in the shadow until a woman came, quickly taken „my very best place“!
Well, ok, I forced myself into the sun, as did the big man who´d waited beside me.
The three of us it was then – best place!!!
Ingo again was up front with the Giant Girl, guess he tried to find me, looking crazily around – hey, dude, I was right in front – best place!
It was again just plain amazing!
The boat came right in front our eyes, they lifted the Girl up, it was a wonderful show! Plain awesome! So worth being squeezed like that before!
Wow.
People left then, the woman, a teacher in her sixties, and I were thinking.... hmmm, is it wise to give up this place? The Diver comes in right from the front, turning right!
She suggested we take turns and I very, very happily dashed into the shadow, my kid´s chair serving me very well!
People came, thought about it, left.
After half an hour I went over and asked if she needs some shadow, an offer she took as happily.
"ADRENALINE JUNKIE", says her T-Shirt :-)
But after just ten minutes the first and second eagerly out for the place-peeps came to stay, so back she was. Shortly after that the man again joined us.
That 19,99-kid´s-chair so paid off!
Our gang of three happily chatted, but without exchanging names – is that a Perth-thing?
The woman said, look, another child, no hair, no hat, what do the parents think they´re doing?!
They got me off my chair a tad too early, bend me over and my, it sure was plain amazing!
So dang far away, yet you could really see the Diver making his way towards us.
He sat down, got something to drink, it went on forever, very, very slowly (no shadow, what a pain!).
The videos do not do justice at all.
He is not huge, not super-huge, he truly, simply is gigantic!
We could see always two men jumping to lift his foot, all the French screaming, sometimes mixed with English, what an efford for the crew, very likely not used to heat like that – though again, we were lucky with only around 25C!
Imagine that in 38plus in their massive, beautiful suits!
And then it happened....
Sadly, sadly, sadly they lifted the Diver up and drove around the corner.
In the aftermath kinda even logical, dumb me! How´s he supposed to walk around a corner?!
I met up with Ingo, had a Popeye-pie at Jester´s - actually wanted an Angus`, but can you imagine the masses of people just plain everywhere??? That´s all I got and, my, am I happy I can eat normal again!!!!
Soon after Ingo went back to his Girl Giant and I made my way to the Geysir.
And what can you see to the right in this pic?
Yeah – right there where you see the ad on „I´m A Celebrety, Get Me Out Of here“ - really?! Here, too?
Anyone really watching this?!
But, yupp, was fun, the Geysir. By gollly is it windy there!!!
On I went to Wellington Square to pay the resting Diver a visit in his siesta.
Then I went to Goderich Street, looked for a place in the shadow and read on with Anthony Bourdain´s book until another volunteer asked me to fill out a questionnaire on the event. Soon two ladies joined – really, never gets boring here.
With the sun going down I went over to the other side of the road, found a place near a tree so no one can bump me in the back again.
The place got more and more packed, a family arrived, I made way for them, joining my tree closer.
Ha, always pays to be polite, I´d say!
Soon afterwards some peeps lined up right in front of us and let me tell you, the lady I gave space to fought for me :-)
The lightning wasn´t too good, but having in mind I have to make it all the way back to Wanneroo I took what I had - not bad, huh? Turn on the sound!
I especially loved the French dude who got rid off his jacket and always danced one circle after "landing" :-)
They sure are proud, the French, wearing their heavy suits, but if it was healthy, I dunno...
But, well, lightning a cigarette in a smoke-free city... hehe. I could hear they were speaking French (learned it at school), the peeps behind me just assumed (rightly) due to the cigarette... hehe, the French, some things never change!
I also loved how motivated they were!
You could clearly see they love what they were doing :-)
I went back – seemingly the only one, everybody was running after the Diver!
In Murray Street underground train station we got horded like lifestock already – what I love, too, about Perthies: There is no pushing. You get some centimeters for yourself at last – try that in Europe!
We waited for the escalators, for the train, awwww, soooooo many people!
But somehow we all managed without incidents, everyone stayed polite and helpful – I might do it again tomorrow!
I hopped off the bus at the Shopping Centre but it was closed already, so Maccas was my choice.
A simple cheeseburger took 10 minutes!
I came home, switched on the TV and madly grabbed my cam – to witness and film the reunion on Channel 9 – call that the.perfect.timing, no?!!!!
Later Ingo found out the TV has a record function AND someone forgot a stick we could use, as well (we´ll leave it there and copy it to our harddrive). By golly, what a day!
And, I have to add: I never feel like I have to hide, to protect my smartphone, cam, purse, I feel quite safe here, such a good feeling! (I still certainly do that, being German after all).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
Into looks like he was thoroughly enjoying this amazing experience Iris, brilliant memories! You would love to be here right now, the weather is perfect. I'm enjoying your Perth series very much and yes of course you can use any of my photos.
Yes, Grace, it really was a once-in-a-lifetime-experience, especially for Ingo. He was the only tourist amongst the volunteers, which made the organisation-team very proud :-)
Oh, yes, I sure would love to be back - grey sky, but at daytime 16C at least. Getting down again, though.
Thank you, Grace, I think soon I have to move - too many pictures and paintings! ;-)
Perth is a good place to strike up a conversation with a stranger and not bother to introduce yourselves.
Great videos again Iris.
Hammy, that is weird....
Thank you, Sami, I stood really forever in those places!
What an amazing experience. I'm so delighted you shared it with us because this is unbelievable and will last a lifetime for you.
Post a Comment