Monday, December 07, 2015

The Rufer?



Ingo asked if I´d seen him from near already. No, so we went.
It´s not "The Rufer", not the one here or here, no...



Would be rather dumb if he would rufen, no one would hear him, right?

So, no, this fellow here is doing something else...



He is the ...



In case you´ve heard the word before I better let you know that the meaning here is a made-up one.

If you look up "türmen" in the dictionary, you´d get the not so nice "to abscond".
But really this also is short for Turmwächter , Wächter - guardian.

Since 2014 he´s doing his job there, taking care of us.
I´d love it even more if the sign said, "Er wacht über die Stadt und die Bürgerinnen und Bürger von Braunschweig."
Who, just who needs the "Bürgerinnen und"?! It´s just more to read, no? Certainly does he take care not only of the male but also female people living here.

Anyhows: Meet the Türmer :-)

4 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Good heavens, literally :) he is high up there watching over men AND women Iris. How cool is that, I know you remember the Rufer from Perth oui!

Iris Flavia said...

I sure do, Grace. After all the dude came as far as us, all the way from Berlin ;-)

Revrunner said...

Looks like he's getting ready to take a dive. :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Weee. Would be a deep one!