"Robin Williams as the Denver Bronco's first male cheerleader in 1979" - found on FB.
Why, why the heck did he take his life.
He was kind, funny and everybody thought... happy.
Depression is awful and dangerous.
And, as you see in the pic... he does not cheer, as in smile - maybe that was a very early sign...
And it seems we still have no cure for depression.
Take care of those who look not happy... and... be brave.
And remember all the good he did, the movies and the little gestures like being polite to the people in the street...
The formerly Braunschweig Lions, now "New Yorker Lions" - name change due to the sponsor - have male cheerleaders, but they wear men´s clothes.


10 comments:
Wow Iris. I had no idea Williams was a cheerleader. Hard to say why he took his life. Depression? Too much pressure because he was so successful? Until we know and understand more about suicide, it's hard to know what a person is thinking.
The German news said depression. But I could imagine it was also the pressure because, as you said, he was so successful. It must be overwhelming. I think he showed up once to make a point in the cheerleading-team.
And he did - we have men in ours!
I'm pretty sure Williams had some condition that would have made his life really difficult, and he wanted to spare his family going through his decline...a mental diagnosis. Depression by itself can certainly knock friends and loved ones into difficulties as they try to help. I'm so glad we're living in a time when drugs can help most people with mental illness.
He had been diagnosed with a horrible disease and did not want to put his family through the terrible ordeal of watching his decline. A friend of mine had her mother go through the disease and it has awful.
What a talent he was.
Yes, he was one of a kind for sure. I always thought he was manic, the way his stream of consciousness was so rapid fire. I have read that he hadvdrugbissue, but that's a Hollywood disease I think. I know he had had 5 wives, and I can imagine he was not easy to live with. But what genius. So sad that he had so many secret struggles.
Even after decades of study, no one knows enough about depression or what causes it and how to fix it. There are many dfferent types of depression too, brought on by different things and havig to be treated differently. It doesn't help that some with depression don't realise they have it and don't realise they need help, or they don't want people always "on their back" about getting treatment, "do things differently"; "get out and meet people"; "take up a hobby that makes you feel better". The world is filled with advice and if depression is caused by something specific such as the death of a loved one, these can help, but when the depression is a permanent glitch in the brain, what do you do? Medication is not always helpful since the cause is not apparent.
Barbara, so sad. Reckon he could´ve founda less painful way to go?
I had burn out and was told it is depression - the drugs did me no good, my brain was still funtioning in fear and I only got tired...
Very tired. I let go of life... Until I stopped the drugs... (citalopram)
____
RedPat, why no other way to take your life - it must´ve been a pain.
Yes, he was an outstanding talent!
____
Sue, 5 wives, oh, boy. So sad. He had a difficult life with everybody looking on....
____
River, I think they still cannot diagnose depression.
I am very pretty sure I had burn out (Dad dying, Bro flipping, Ingo nearly dying, Mum leaving gto death, working full time, my T´s girlfriend dying very slowly and then losing the job).
They told me it´s depression. I was sporty!!! So much so I walked with soldiers.
The medication took me down sooooo much. I had no depression! And my brain was turning and turning despite the meds, as you said, NOT helpful.
I then decided to let go and whew... it was drugs, really (citalopram). I thought I have to die. It was horrible.
With burn out you just need a time out. Depression is something else... And has likely many ways...
Depression is a terrible thing. I know people who suffer from it, and sometimes the meds don't work, and a few of them are always looking for quick fixes. It's tough disease, Sorry I'm a bit late from yesterday. It was a really busy day. hugs-Erika
I thought I had commented.... Anyway, wanted to tell you that I love the little bird cocking its head and the puppet feeding the squirrel.
Yes, I was spanked too, and I like to think that i too have 'respect' as a condition.
And the newly hatched electrician! So funny!
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca
I think my original comment may have gone into spam folder ???
I'll try this as anonymous ...
All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment