Saturday, May 04, 2024

The Darkest Trends Of The Victorian Era#6


 For part #1 with explanation see here
 
 "School is over

Back in the good old days, education wasn't exactly a major concern. Children had more important things to do, like earning a living! Who needs to be able to read and write when you can be a little chimney sweep, right? Sure, there were a few fancy church schools that were supposedly "free", but let's face it, most poor families needed every penny they could scrape together.
 
In the meantime, the rich people sent their snobby offspring to prestigious institutions where they learned fancy things like Latin and Greek. Talk about priorities! Thankfully, someone in government finally woke up from their afternoon tea slumber and decided to make schooling compulsory for all children under the age of 13."
 
To education, huh!!!!
 

 


5 comments:

Bertiebo said...

Yes, those were very different times. And once it was settled, fifty kids in a class was no exception. Nice pic!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy, 50?!!!! We were 30 and that was too much!

River said...

Now it is compulsory until 18 here! I remember when I was in Primary School the leaving age was 14 and at High School it was 15, so that's when I left and went to work.

River said...

We had 35-40 kids per class.

Iris Flavia said...

I think age 16 here? We were too many, too, poor teachers - and pupils!