I went to the most dangerous store yesterday again to get an addition for our friends from Perth and certainly....
I came home with two more Braunschweig-books, what else, eh?
The author was born 1949 and describes a new store - on the corner where I get Ingo´s bread these days!
The store is no more, but he describes how you could buy beer there and no one cared when a kid bought two bottles for the parents.
Mind you. My Mum gave DM 2,20 and sent me to buy her cigarettes - no worries!
Now cigarettes cost at least €5, four times as much or more and you need to be 16 or 18 years old.
The flower-store Ingo sometimes bought... well, flowers, existed back then already!
I read the book in one day.
Despite I´m much younger I remember those "Bolchen" the author describes, huge candies, hard as stone, tasting like raspberries. Our poor teeth! Clack-clack-clack, our mouths were too small!
Did you have these, too?
And he describes how everybody knew you by name - still the same today!!
(Young) Henry 🦁
To books!




18 comments:
I don't ever remember having candies like those ones but we did have gob-stoppers that filled the mouth and bulged out the sides of your cheeks - at least they kept us quiet as we couldn't talk when eating one!
LOL, yes, they kept us quiet, nicely said!!!!
I remember going to the shop and buying cigarettes for my dad, but not beer, that was only available in pubs and hotels and children were not allowed in. Now, you need to be 18 to buy cigarettes here AND you need to show ID and a single packet can be as much as $50! depending on which brand you buy. Even the cheapest I think is $30.
WHAT?!!!!And people still smoke?! By golly, wish we had these prices here. Too many still smoke. Kids, as in 16-year-olds and such.
$50!!! Wow.
Beer. You get at the grocery store here. But you need to be 16. And even I had to show my ID two years ago. I was 48!!! Holy cow!
I was born in'49 too and I do remember being sent to buy cigarettes for my Dad also could buy alcohol too but Mom did not allow any in the house.
sounds like an interesting book
Those were the times, huh!
And now we fuss around. And kids always find a way to smoke or drink anyways!
Was a fun book. I love to read about places I know!
Yep :-)
Nice memories. I dont bite into hard candies just wait till they melt in my mouth, safer that way
Nice memories. I don't bit into hard candy just wait till they melt in my mouth, safer that way -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
I remember once a couple of kids handed me a hundred bucks to buy a couple cartons of smokes. I then proceeded to teach them a very hard lesson about never trusting strangers by going inside and asking the clerk to let me out the back door. I then left through the back lane and caught a bus out of the vicinity.
Times they're a changing!
I used to buy cigarettes for my father. Back then in the 60s they only cost .25 cents a pack. Today, here they cost €16. Crazy that you still see kids smoking, where does the money come from?
Inflation! Prices keep soaring!
We had candies similar to that -- we still might! Sounds like good purchases for you!
One of my client smoke cigarettes a pack is about $7
Coffee is on and stay safe
Christine, as a kid waiting? Well I never bit into it but they were just too big and clacked against the teeth.
____
William, LOL, they learned their lesson for sure!!!
Oh, the same all over in the world!
____
magiceye, yes and no?
____
Bill, I have absolutely no idea!!! Maybe you´re even more "cool" if you have the money for a smoke and hence have nothing but your stupid coolness?
Sad, huh.
____
gigi, for these (ciggies) I am thankful. Sadly it does not help.
____
Jeanie, I will keep my eyes open for the Bolchen but sure will not buy them ;-)
____
Dora, that is rather our price then - hence affordable, oh, but, no.
Interesting book, and as kids, many of us bought cigarettes for our parents.
Yes things have certainly become very expensive. I remember when cigarettes were $2.50 a packet NZD and that was in the mid 1980s
Post a Comment