Thursday, May 23, 2024

I´m A Hero!

 
In Perth I was SO STRONG!!! I did not buy this.
Nor this:
 


 
 See... 1999 I drove Ingo NUTS but I got this:


I got them all - like watching TOS!!!! 
Imagine... we sat in the Outback of Australia and read James Blish´s books on Star Trek Original Series! We roamed every second hand book store for this!


Book stores are so dangerous!





Leave you with this wonderful pic.
How about you - dangerous stores for you, too?
Come on, I was a hero, I did not buy ONE book!!!

Can you remember, too, how difficult it was before Amazon to get such books?
Living in a small German town... you were a weirdo if you wanted a book "in the original"!
It was brand new and expensive.
My Nieces could these days, used books, too, or kindle, whatever. And they are not interested. Sad.

Henry's 🦁  alter Perth-ego,the Black Swan 🐣:
 

 Have you managed to leave a book store without buying a book?
 
Addendum, for River and her tea-set:
This is why I don´t understand what it is all about - this is what I got as tea-set:
 

 

I still have no clue why there are to separate containers. They are really just containers!
I think it stays being deco only...



18 comments:

Bertiebo said...

Oh yes... a bookstore is dangerous. very dangerous. And yes I manage to leave without buying.
I am only allowed to buy second-hand or exchange in one of those mini-libraries along the road

Iris Flavia said...

Even worse we have those free street libraries...! I brought many a book there and tried to not take one...

Tom said...

...I wish that reading was easier for me.

River said...

The tea set comes together so there is always a pot to make the tea and a cup to drink it from. A very simple idea and handy for a single person living alone who doesn't want to make a big pot of tea. Perhaps your set had a matching saucer that got broken before you found it.

I have left bookstores without buying anything, but only because they didn't have the one book I was looking for at the time. These days I go in and buy books for the twins, though they already have so many.

Iris Flavia said...

Tom, if it isn´t fun you miss nothing!

____

River, that´s a plausible explanation, some part is missing in the teapot-set!
Well, but it looks nice, so deco it is.

You can never have enough books :-)
At times I manage to leave Graff without buying anything, but it is very hard!

Christine said...

Glad you had fun browsing the books anyway

Granny Sue said...

Yes, I have been in bookstores and not bought anything! Honestly, I get overwhelmed by so many choices. I prefer used books generally, and used book stores are such fun. Once I bought $100 worth of folktale books at such a store, and the man gave me one I was not going to buy. Turns out that one is now worth more than all the others combined!
And the teaset...it is supposed to be just the cup and and the teapot and lid, no missing parts. I see a lot of them in thrift stores because who would ever really use it?

magiceye said...

Bookstores are heaven on earth!

Iris Flavia said...

Christine, yes, it was fun!

_____

Sue, wow on that book and big LOL on the teapot-set!!! Deco, that´s about that then!

____

magiceye, dangerous ones, though!

RedPat said...

I have so many books that I can now go into a bookstore and buy none unless it is a real winner. I use the little free libraries a lot.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes, I love bookstores, and can sometimes leave with only one. But usually whatever I can carry in my arms. Now I have my ancient bookshelf that is groaning and needs to be sorted and definitely dusted, with books I swore I'd read again, but haven't.

Iris Flavia said...

RedPat, I need to give away some books to those again!

____

Barbara, same problem here. Some I just can not give away. They make me smile when I look at them!

CJ Kennedy said...

Bookstores like art supply stores are so dangerous! 😺My girlies aren't big readers either. Obligatory book reports and being told what book to read killed their love of reading. Yup, I get book reports. But let the kids pick out what book they want to read and do a report on. I have Der Kleine Prinz.

Your teapot and cup is a tea for one. You brew one cup of tea in the pot and then pour it in the cup. Elegance isn't just for company

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I'm not familiar with the James Blish series (and I'm a big Star Trek fan). I need to look into it!

River said...

@ CJ Kennedy; being told what to read only happens at school and shouldn't kill any love of reading, since at home they are allowed to read whatever they want. Did they have books of their own choosing? I read everything I could get my hands on including those I "had" to read for school, my children did the same and now the grandchildren are all readers. The twins, two years old next week, love their books and get a story read to them every night. Some they already remember the words to, so reading for themselves will happen soon enough.

Iris Flavia said...

CJ, really? Der kleine Prinz? LOL. I´ve never read it in German! Sad with your kids, too!
My Nieces do read, but German only. Whch is sad - I got the ALSTOM-job only because I speak fluent English... so important.

I am not elegant then... I go for Rexi! ;-)

____

Spare Parts and Pics: Go for James Blish!!!! It´s like watching the series!

____

River, the twins turn two already???? Boy! Time runs! And great they love books!

My name is Erika. said...

I don't know how I missed this post. But I'm glad I came back to it. I've never read any of the Star Trek series, but I know a lot of people who have and like them. Thanks for the inspiration. I need to try them. Hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

It´s really like watching it on the telly!!!