
I was shocked by the online-news today but then there was so much to do in the day, I forgot all about it.
Till I read a friend´s FB-entry on a killed child due to a car-accident... on Mother´s Day even!
In Hamburg (also Lower Saxony, been there many, many times) a 73-year-old man killed a 4-year-old boy and injured the mother severly by trying to get out of his parking lot in reverse gear (story in German here).
Maybe he mixed up pedals, they don´t know yet.
He is "shocked"
I really wonder when we will get tests for people from 60/65+ if they still manage to drive/see/know the rules/can handle a car???
I know it´s the rule in USA, is it in Australia, too, no idea right now.
I really do love the message: Heck, if I die in a car-accident, no worries, I am old anyways.
Yeah, great. Who cares about you??? Care about the ones you take with ya!
I love my Mum. But I really am not sure she should still drive a car. She is "only" 67, but she doesn´t drive often, which makes her insecure about the whole thing and each time I am the front seat passenger, I don´t feel good.
I´d pay money for the test, really.
I know it must be very, very hard to face the fact: I am old. I am not a safe driver anymore. I should let go, give the licence back and take the uncomphy public ones.
I know that.
I hope I will make a wise decision if I reach that age.
"The 73-year-old is shocked". Yeah. What about the lives he destroyed?
Yes, I am aware I could produce an accident, too.
But not whilst parking out in reverse (or the other way round) - because I mix up which pedal is which!!.
And I know stories about notes at the indicator on which direction is what and so on...
Just to add... the Doc I went to as a kid (who was old back then already) nearly knocked me over in a very same situation when I was about 14.
I know that feeling. Luckily I was on a bike!
Are there driver-tests from a certain age on in your place?
Do they cost your money or is it on state?
If first: How much is it and do you consider it useful, are you "happy" to pay cause chances are high those who cannot drive anymore will not?
I know it must be really hard to give up car and license... and, well... turn to old-age. But at some point it just is the way life goes.
Next step then is to sell your bike. Like Ingo´s Grandma finally agreed on after falling.
You can´t get old without getting old, right? No idea when the fun really stops...
3 comments:
I think that you have to have an eyesight test when you are 70 or 75 and then regularly from then on. Not sure about a driving test though. Wikipedia has some Australian licencing info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_licence_in_Australia
Yeah I think Hammy's right. There is an age in Australia when older people are assessed. Duncan's great aunt who is 92 had to take a practical driving test recently. She passed (I don't know how).
I can understand why some older people don't want to lose their independence, but there comes a time when I think you need to lay down your own pride for the safety of everyone else.
75! That´s rather old!
Post a Comment