Friday, June 11, 2010

Meet My Colleagues



... or Different Concepts, Different Ways To Care For Your Employees

I had a doctor´s appointment today (routine check-up) and since she starts so late, I took the day off.
Anyhows I have to jump in the car this arvo and head to lake Tankumsee (German) - it´s another quarter-meeting.

Obviously our Boss likes the water - it´s already the 4th or even 5th time that we do a Boat-Tour.
But, well, I have made no suggestions, hence I cannot say anything against it.
From my team only two will show up, that´s me included already - actually I think that´s rather sad.
After all our Boss tries to show he cares for us, no?
He stated it as "leisure time", maybe he shouldn´t have...

So, whilst my Boss arranges a Boat-Tour with a BBQ afterwards, Ingo´s Boss tells him to work on Saturday - for not even extra-cash!




I´m really no fan of temporary employment!
They treat their "workers" like "products". There is heaps of work? Work also on Saturday! There isn´t much to do? Stay home - use your time account or it´s a leave day paid or you simply get no money for that day.

Once Ingo came home with some... uh, gotta ask him, but if I remember right some 700€ only.
Ok, I´m working, too, and we have no kids - but imagine it was another life we lead - we´d be forced to ask the state for money.
If we hadn´t booked Cuba already, Ingo would´ve been forced to work - what kind of a work-life is that?

As I know it, holiday is at least one week in a piece, so you can relax. Enjoy life and return to work refreshed and with power.
In temporary employment not so.
Where is life-quality, huh?

Ok, it´s a bit tricky to complain after I read Rodney´s post on Privilege and Responsibility - though it´s another topic altogether, I sure do know how privileged we actualy are, compared to many countries.
But in comparison with people like me and in Germany, Ingo is off not as good.

My SIL btw sits on the other end of this concept and defends it heavily, admitting though that it has a bad reputation...

What do you think of the concept "temporary employment"? Do you work in one?

1 comment:

Hammy said...

Not personally a fan of temporary employment but for people who only need to work 2-3 days a week that's ok. As long as the boss doesn't take advantage of them.