Friday, May 19, 2023

FFO And Smiles

 
 
I took cheap paper and cheap pencils (from my very early days about 3 years ago?) - not such a bad outcome, what do you think?
I do think better paper/painting materials make a difference? 
 
But... call me stupid. My parents were kids of war and I learned to never throw anything away unless it is not "good" anymore.
 
I threw away the last goulash from Saturday yesterday after I could not finish the meal, and I felt bad for doing so (but then I don´t wanna get sick, either).
Neighbor W, also a child of war, told me he had to eat the heads of fishes to survive, so... I use up the old stuff.
 
Or maybe I put them in a box for free to take cause it was a pain and took forever!!! LOL! Good enough for kid´s first tries, huh?
 
Not a fan of sweets but a huge fan of The Simpsons (not a series for kids), so I could not resist to buy the tic tacs! 
 
With this I certainly join Nicole with FFO.
 
And to give smiles for Annie...
I was surprised about myself! I was the shyest person around and stood up against a real tall, "mean" man when going to get Ingo´s meds on Monday (there were enough people around for in case - so I did!!!)
 
Ha! Don´t you mess with me, no matter how much taller you are! 
I gave him a (lille mean) SMILE (crossed my arms like he did), and he backed up.
I am second, you are third in line!!!

Don´t mess with me.
To all shy people: Have faith in yourself
It took me over 40 years to learn - but it is so worth it!

2006.. we met this woman:


First time we met was in Cottesloe, where she lived, in a café (where there are people to protect you in case).
She asked us to stand very still.
So she can try and see us. She was nearly blind at that point. It started when she was only 14 years old... I need glasses, she ... too late.
We had a coffee and she invited us to her home. To her home!!!!
 
She had no partner.
And I thought... We are still "strangers", one of us could be a weirdo!!!
And she takes us to her home!!!
 
We had loads of contact via blogger and e-mail. So she rightfully trusted us.
 
Why we lost contact? I think she fell in love with Ingo and hence "broke up" with me also. 
Sad, I tried a lot, but.. nope  - maybe I let her know we come to Cottesloe next year for the festival?

Anyhows, I have memories of her - dog-poo involved - that made me SMILE!
(Really, I grabbed and dragged her to me before her blind stick hit it, ewww...)

Some more smiles here:

 
 
(This is Bart´s Mum, Marge from The Simpsons)

 
(Cookie Monster from Sesame Street).
 
Do you still watch series from your childhood? We do (we have no kids, it´s just us).
 
Henry 🦁

 
To smiles and trust!
If you come from Nicole or Annie, Tom gave me another idea, if you like, see here.
 

 


16 comments:

Annie said...

I'm sorry I didin't manage my visit last week....it was a blogging friend we visited and have know her for 14 years now. We have made many friends thanks to our WOYWW link ups on a Wednesday.
I love your tic tac drawing.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

To such visits!!! And blogging! x

My name is Erika. said...

Yes, I do think better quality supplies give you better results, for most supplies and depending on what you want for the results. I like your Homer page. And Cookie MOnster too. That is a very true statement. And like you, my parents were Great Depression kids so they taught me to waste not, want not, as our quote goes. I hope you have a super end of the work week and start to your weekend. hugs-Erika

Gene Black said...

I was not a "child of war" but the child of parents born at the end of The Great Depression in the USA. I have an extremely hard time tossing out anything that I might use in the next 20 years.
However, having worked with Public Health, I have no problems discarding "iffy" food.

William Kendall said...

I love the Cookie Monster meme.

Christine said...

Nice art. I knew some people lived during the war they saved everything even condiment pkgs from restaurants here

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun art. If you aren't going to use the "cheap" art supplies anymore, you can always donate them to a school.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Bill said...

My daughter loved the Cookie monster.

RedPat said...

I like you Bart drawing but really like the Marge shoes. Too bad they are in kid's sizes.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm useless when it comes to thowing stuff away no matter how old it is. I'm not really familiar with Simpsons but the drawing looks good to me. Have a nice weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

River said...

From my childhood? No, there were none but The Flintstones. But I watch series from my kids childhood, not the Simpsons yet, I still have to collect them on a hard drive, I think my daughter "no one" has them on her hard drive and she can copy them over for me.
Do you not have a freezer to put left over serves of food so it doesn't go bad? When I make something like soup or beef casserole (stew, goulash) I straight away put a few portions in the freezer for the next weeks then I don't have to cook again for a while, just thaw and reheat.

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, yes, that is the problem. We cannot waste or want!!! I bought two hilatious T-Shirts yesterday and boy...
I had to tell myself, we near to never eat ou, got to the pub or cinema etc.. (One is cookie monster btw!).
And I got good water-color supplies, too. How hard times can ruin thinking in good times..

__

Gene, I think war and Great Depression are the same somehow.
Ingo is sick, so I stay with food until it becomes iffx and that I was afraid of!

____

William, you´ll love my new T-Shirt then!

____

Christine, yes. I heard too many war stories from my neighbor. Different to what you see on TV cause a real person is telling you what he really went through....

____

CJ, yes, I put out "pre-loved" stuff from time to time. Like many do. And often I put it in fron of the school nearby.

___

Rajani, thank you.

____

Bill, I just bought a second T-Shirt with... it? Him? Well, Cookie Monster :-)

____

Angela, I do give stuff away for free (cause I am too lazy for ebay etc...)
The Simpsons are great. You learn math without knowing! LOL! xXx

____

River, The Flintstones, yes, I remember them and The Simpsons copied them in one episode!!! (I don´t remember which one).
I should´ve put some goulash in the freezer right away but thought I manage, then it was "too old".... Lesson learned!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love the Simpsons! You did a great job on Bart! And I want those Marge shoes!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

My FH loves TicTacs and we both enjoy the Simpsons :) And I love that you stood up to the bully and now that you know you have the courage, you don't have to be shy anymore. I don't watch Sesame Street anymore, but do watch the Simpsons and South Park. Both could teach us not to be shy, though it doesn't come so easy. Love the Henry Cub ... look at those ears, Ha! So, I am not so sure about kids in power, but I seriously think that if Women ruled the world there would be peace :) No mother wants to lose a son to war. Fun post, Iris ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

Wars have long-lasting impacts on people, Iris. My parents taught me not to throw away things either. My mother's side of our family really struggled during the depression, and as a consequence, I hate to waste food. Sometimes I come up with some unusual meals when I'm using up things in the fridge. I love that you stand up for yourself. And I love your Simpson sneaker. I can't imagine losing my sight. Lovely photo of you and Deanne. Have a good week!