Friday, April 03, 2015

Perth 25/02/ - Locked Up



Got up early, caught the 450, and there he was.
###'s double No.1, in the back with paper, a rustling bag and scissors, making disturbing noise all the way to Warwick. There we gladfully lost him.

On we went to Perth, by golly not as packed as on the Giant's weekend but crammed, too!
On to Freo, an hour too early for the guided prison tour.



Whilst we were walking to the city I saw a bunch of school girls, having brekkie in a public café.

I said to Ingo, "look!!!!! They have money to have a brekkie here?! I never had money for that as a school girl (let alone as a student at uni)."
And Ingo said, "no! See. They do have the money. See where we are, how 'rich' we are and were?"
Not a good feeling, but he´s right, kinda.

Last time we joined the prison tour was in the last century, in 1999, not realizing it was in use till 1991 – bummer.

This time a lady, Sarah, led us through and she did a brilliant job, too!



Other stories, other details.
The riot in 1988, oh, my.
B later said he remembered it being in the news...
Please... if you ever wanna tell about someone/yourself getting burned, say „stop listening“ - I nearly passed out – like really, getting all dizzy – when she told about the riot that started with prisoners dumping boiling water on two of the staff.



I nearly passed out. (hehe, the brolly!)



They used to punish prisoners with whips.
The youngest was an 8-year-old boy who´d „stolen“ fruit cause he was so dang hungry.
Can you believe that? It nearly made me cry.



One other thing was kinda embarassing, there were some Germans, younger than us even, who required a translation via mobile device.

So, Sami'll understand we kept kinda „incognito“ - all the time Sarah had to go, „to the Germans, it's number (whatever)“.

Some cells are quite arty:





I just fail to understand how you can end up in prison, especially back then when it really was a harsh punishment.



Such a small cell for two prisoners and this as the "toilet", eww....



The camping toilet in the other pic does not seem that bad anymore, huh?

Here the good thing was cleaned, ewww:



And the job was wanted, cause payed "well", urgs.

Some art from the prisoners - I think they also have "murals" there, but I´m not sure, 1999 is quite a long time ago...





Here for some was the last station...



We got way too much sun again and for the first time in 20 – in words! - twenty (oh, actually – one) years Ingo went slow in the shadow!



Still we had to pay the beach a short visit:





Awww, the ocean!



We went to Sail and Anchor, really such a nice old place:







We then roamed around a bit at the harbour:



Awww, a seagull:



I just love these colors!





Seagulls...



And I learned about this, too:



People in Freo thought The Giants would leave their boat and walk around.
Oh, how disappointing it must´ve been that certainly they could not...

Maybe, though, someone played a happy song on this public, free instrument to cheer people up a bit?



We then went to Perth, to the Mill, got the Star Trek-edition, had no money for a pressie for Bro, so we have to come back – what is better than gold from the Perth Mint for a goldsmith who refuses since ever to take money for providing you and your partner with perfect glasses?! Aka said Bro, or Brüderchen... Ha! We pay you back!

For dinner... anyone a guess on that? ;-)
I am 43 years old by now and got this:



Sorry for any cravings on your side - you can at least have some!

Yes, we had a burger at Grill´d – thanks for being back to normal eating!



Back on the train home it was.

And guess what.
Right oppisite me ###double No 2 took place, how are those chances???
Either he was a gum-aholic or trying to quit smoking.
He had a bag (rustling each and every time!) in which he had gummy-bears. He did not nibble. He gobbled them down. Making noise every two minutes.

I´m on holidays – stop that!!!!

3 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Freo is so much fun to visit, we were there last week.. You two must be having withdrawals from Grill'd Iris.. They really are good :)

Sami said...

Such great pictures of Freo, Iris. It's been a few years since I did the prison tour, some sad stories there....

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, Freo is just special - and yes, Grace, we kinda do have withdrawals by now :-))

What I think is good, Sami, you might have another tour than last time - or you can have a night-tour, that must be creepy. And one tour leads you into the ocean.