Sorry it´s blurry, pic taken in Broome 1999, cartoon in the Western Australian, "Pigeon-Pie" the cartoon was named - I took a "film"-pic!
Pigeon one wants to share:
"πr²?" - Dumb one: "No, Pie are round!"
I laughed my head off.
Saturday morning, I turn on the telly and... WOW! Ran over to Ingo after I saw the "birth", and Ingo then stayed with me to watch more.
Archimedes (287-212 BC) needed a technique to store as much grain as possible on as small a place as possible et voilá... he came up with π ("The number π (/paɪ/; spelled out as "pi") is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, approximately equal to 3.14159." Wiki)
On they went with the parabola ...
that´s how roos, for example, move most efficient.
Termites have their buildings created that way, too. Hello Australia!
This was Litchfield NP.
The sea-creature nautilus "works" with 1.618 ...
... and Da Vinci from that developed the golden ratio!
Hmmm...
Take bees - their hive-construction is twice as steady as steel!!!
Certainly they also mentioned Mandelbrot ...
... that man haunts me, LOL!
They could join Halloween!
Fern for example produces copies of it´s leaves, so-called "satellites"...
... also romanesco and many more do this, even clouds - and HA! I read about Mandelbrot in The Simpsons-book already. And this...
I was never good in "math" at school (#Infinitesimalrechnung - which I never needed), but real mathematics sure is soooo fascinating!
Second show had certainly Newton on, and music, all is math (or physics) - Henry only can get a gazelle despite being taller and needing more power because the gazelle has smaller hoofs and sinks in - her advantage of getting through the atmosphere easier due to her smaller body gets lost!
Weather, ... math! Physics. And... chaos. Our thinking, our genes.
Can a butterfly trigger a tornado?
8m of a windmill´s arm went to 80m - can we go bigger or will chaos take over and they go into fatal destruction?
WHY!!!! Why could school not have been like this?!
PRACTICAL stuff, from real life to get you interested in the dry process of understanding the formulas?
Really, with all available today... being a fab teacher would be so easy!
Watch such programs and teach the kids! Does cost no money even.
Draw pictures or take photos and integrate the art class, let the kids paint what they saw or heard later.
Take biology in (and history), call it "art and science" and - kaboom - you´re back at where Leonardo da Vinci started back in the day!
Studies on swarm-movements ... high-quality cartoon-movies. Wikipedia! It´s a swarm-movement! The swarm manages to give high quality!
Maybe you say, ohhhh-boy, yes, I know this since ages!
Well, I did not.
Next: Drugs.
Beer as #1! LOL! Call me a druggie then. An Ale-druggie. Chocolate-beer. Honey-beer... endless options!
And what is beer? We´re back at pooping! Pooping grains, not lice.
The Egyptians started it all, of course.
It was even "money". The pyramids... the workers had beer with them!
Muscles don´t hurt as much and they can work harder, who ever knew, I did not!
To beer! 🍻
And later this is how people got sedentary - they wanted beer!
(and maybe bread) !
In Mesopotamia they used beer to keep the people at bay.
The Maya... even The Simpsons have more than one episode on this! Frogs!
And with that dealership came up, too.
I never did any other "drug", despite being offered (I´m such a bore). But. This was interesting, too! History-lesson! Medication was drugs in the stone age. They were called "bee-men", who provided this.
Magic mushrooms - still a popular drug today (I learned now) - or to be a medication against depression.
Nutmeg was another drug and Shakespeare consumed weed. Word-plays gave it away,
Cannabis was used for paper and ropes on ships.
Potatoes were used to make schnapps..
And glasses as well as printing was invented in the "dark" Middle Ages!
If respect and safety was the rule...
I might want to become a good teacher.
I understand the - here not allowed - concept of home-schooling a Perth friend did for a while.
Teach the basics and then... what YOU think is important and HOW.
If I wasn´t that old I maybe would want I kid (haha, kidding).
Oh, I remember grade 2, yes grade 2!!! We were 7 year-olds! Some boys´d learned from older siblings that teacher M. is weak.
First lesson they jumped over the tables and made that man cry.
I was horrified.
I was taught respect.
So, maybe this is our future: We learn from the telly!
With Sesame Street...
... and Die Maus that´s how my learning process begun in the 70´s.
... and will continue in 3 hours! DIE MAUS will be on!
OK, declare this the most boring Sunday-post.
But I got excited. Then again, my then-boss told me off for taking a math book to Cuba in 2006.
More on that another time 😉
Henry 🦁






















22 comments:
2+2=4 but also 2+2=2² ,what is easier? a+a=b or 2a. Mathematicians try make equations easier: So Pie are square! (sorry, but I didn't ate a squared pie) Is there a difference taste compared to a round pie? Questions over questions should be solved ;-)
Now I´m tempted to make a square pie.
Don´t we have the square "ash-trays" from aluminium foil? ;-)
Your last sentence is important. And true: we must always keep learning. Not that I understand anything about mathematics though
Science is sooo interesting, and this program did not nag you totally with the formulas but with the concepts!
I went on till the arvo and I got stuck in front to absorb it all!
Learning is supposed to be interesting fun!
Your post reminds me of a television series from the 1990s called Connections. James Burke, would show how obscure events or inventions were related. Something like how the spinning of flax thread in the 17th c. was connected to nuclear power. Himself and I used to look forward to each episode.
OH! I´ll look out for that!!!! Thank you!
...I'm able to do simple arithmetic, math and how it's taught today is way over my head. Film indeed was expensive, I'm glad to use digital.
Tom, this was FUN! As said, I´m not good at math... but this was on REAL LIFE. It made all sense.
And yay to digital!
To beer and to science!!! I've seen similar shows about these number rations and life. It is cool, isn't it. And did they talk about how a spider's web is stronger than steel, if you could make it thicker of course. This was an interesting post. Thanks for sharing Iris. And hurrah for beer and bees too. hugs-Erika
Charlotte is as strong? Yippeee! Nature (and science) is AWESOME!
I have to share my Charlotte and her web still! Cheers and hugs!!
BTW.. - Erika... Tesla in on TV now. I would love to teach!
I liked math when I was in school but as life goes on, I never had a use for it. Just add and substract, divide and multiply gives you all you need.
The pie are round joke never gets old.
Bill, same here, never any use. Missed out on the good stuff!
____
Divers and Sundry, this series really was beyond the ole joke ;-)
Math can be fascinating. Glad you enjoyed that show so much. I would like to see it.
Math started puzzling me once algebra and calculus entered the picture.
Not at all boring! I agree schools should have more practical aspects to the learning, it would be more fun and with fun kids learn more.
I love math and physics, but have only basic understanding of both. I WANT to know, understand, more but my brain doesn't work that way. I am a daydreamer.
Ingo; In Australia, well certainly South Australia, some pies are square, I think the brand name is Four and Twenty and the pies have meat and gravy, like the ones eaten at football games. They are small, individual size, to be held in the hands.
Also Pi as 3.14 in America is a date, March 14th, so some people call it pie day and make pies for eating on that day.
RedPat, the show certainly should be available to you - if only I knew the name ... It was translated to German.
____
William, it was the teacher´s fault. Same here!
____
River :-)
Same here. I tried a certain book twice and failed. Twice.
We need to visit you some time - in Perth I never saw a quare pie! And small is always good - Jesters has "party pies" - just my size.
And yes, March 14th I always only get when bloggers share! Must mark it in the calendar and make pies!
Wait, I´ll do that NOW. It´s a Tuesday next year.
Oh how I wish we had digital when we started travelling!!!
Cheers to beer!
I've never tried chocolate beer, we have it here but i'm not really a big beer fan, I don't mind the odd light beer in Summer though but apart from that no
Post a Comment