Thursday, September 08, 2022

Kohlrabi-Time

 
 
Ingo had sauce with his meal - not a fan of that here.
Funny wiki EN also calls it Kohlrabi, did you know? 
 
"Kohlrabi (pronounced /klˈrɑːbi/; scientific name Brassica oleracea Gongylodes Group), also called German turnip or turnip cabbage, is a biennial vegetable, a low, stout cultivar of wild cabbage. It is another cultivar of the same species as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, Savoy cabbage, and gai lan."

Certainly it was too much, so the next lunch was this:

 
Art-wise...

 
Bought in 2012 - nice idea, no?

Henry 🦁


Whilst I type TV goes down the dRain, cause it´s raining, thunder, lightning  - yippeeee!
I love this weather, too!
 
And read a book now 😍



23 comments:

River said...

I don't think I ever tried kohlrabi, maybe my mum cooked it when I was very little, but I don't think it was known here in Australia. Certainly we ate a lot of cabbage, a LOT, and I still love cabbage. I love fried left over potatoes too.

Sami said...

I find kohlrabi a bit bitter for my taste.
Don't quote me on the shish kebabs at the Altstadtmarkt Iris, it's what I read online. Not sure it they still sell it. Hope they do and you get to enjoy it, lol

Iris Flavia said...

River, I love any kind of cabbage :-)
Crazy you don´t find that in Australia! Sad...

____

Sami, next time Ingo makes some for you, with butter and parsley it´s not bitter at all! :-)

OK, I´ll have a look if I find the kebabs, no worries if not, reckon they use garlic and Ingo hates garlic (I´m not a fan, either), other I make him try some, too!

Bertiebo said...

I haven't eaten that since I was a child. I didn't like it at the time, but my mother thought I should eat everything. Never whine about food. Ha, I don't think I'm going to start anymore

Iris Flavia said...

I was allowed to skip food, but didn´t get anything extra.
The way Ingo makes it is actually yummy! Not bitter at all, rather fruity.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I'm not a great fan of kohl-rabi, but reckon it is good to try different things when the opportunity arises. Enjoy your rain :)

Iris Flavia said...

You should try Ingo´s - with butter and parsley it´s yummy :-)
Today so far just cloudy...

Tom said...

...I love left over fried potatoes!

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, hmmm.... sadly Ingo cannot have this no more, so I have it for lunch and he does not see it. Would be too mean.

William Kendall said...

That's new to me.

Iris Flavia said...

Thought that´s a common legume?

CJ Kennedy said...

I've never heard kohlrabi called turnip cabbage or German turnip.

Christine said...

your dish looks so good! Nice apple painting Iris.

Iris Flavia said...

CJ, you call it kohlrabi then? Funny.

____

Christine, was yummy, and thank you :-)

RedPat said...

I have never eaten kohlrabi. I like cabbage and I like turnip so would probably like it. Maybe I will get one and try to cook it.

Carola Bartz said...

Ich bin kein großer Freund von Kohlrabi, vielleicht liegt's daran, wie meine Mutter ihn gekocht hat (sie war eine gute Köchin, aber manche Sachen, wie z.B. auch Rosenkohl, waren nicht ihre Stärke). Hier sehe ich ihn nur selten. Turnips gibt es, aber das ist ein Wurzelgemüse während Kohlrabi - wie der Name ja schon sagt - zu den Kohlsorten gehört, auch wenn man ihn schon mal white turnip nennt. Vewirrend... Wie auch immer, beides sind keine Favoriten, aber vielleicht sollte ich Kohlrabi einfach nochmal probieren und dann so zubereiten, wie es uns zusagen würde. Wenn ich welchen finde...

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I haven't had Kohlrabi for years, don't ask me why. My mother used to fix it and I always liked it, but it just hasn't caught my eye in the market ... hmmmm ... think I will have to look into it and give it a try. Love your mortar and pestle and, of course, the apple. And we were on the same page with the "Apple of my eye" idea. Have a great week, Iris ...

Andrea @ From the S ol

Iris Flavia said...

RedPat it is yummy :-)

____

Carola, ich freue mich schon so sehr auf Rosenkohl, das einzig gute - neben Grünkohl - am Winter!
Rosenkohlsuppe, hmmm, oder einfach, wie Kohlrabi, mit Butter, oder angebraten, ach so viele möglichkeiten - ich hoffe, du findest beides und machst was Leckeres draus :-)

___

Andrea, thank you and yes, go for kohlrabi, don´t foget the parsley :-)
Love your apples of the eye!
Happy Friday!

mamapez5 said...

Hi Flavia. It was atough call whether or not to post today, but like you my post was ready and waiting before the news broke so I decided to go ahead and publish as not everyobe who reads it is a follower of Annie's Smiles. You can find my post HERE
I have never tried kohlrabi but at least I now know what it is! So thank you for the info.
I am sure the Queen would prefer us to be smiling at all our great memories of her, rather than weeping over the loss of her, so have a good week. Kate x

EricaSta said...

Yes... we like in autumn Kohlrabi too. It's healthy and delicious.

I admire your artwork.

Lowcarb team member said...

Kohlrabi, is a lovely a low carb vegetable ...

I like your artwork here.

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, thank you, you helped make me love cooking and baking (though this time it was Ingo´s job).

Fundy Blue said...

"You're the apple of my eye" made me smile, Iris. I've seen kohlrabi in our grocery store, but I've never worked up the courage to try it. Take care!