Memory Lane Moments
"Hedy Lamarr, often proclaimed “the most beautiful woman in the world.” The 26-yr-old Lamarr was thriving in Hollywood when, in September 1940, Nazi U-boats hunted down & sank a cruise ship trying to evacuate 90 British schoolchildren to Canada. 77 drowned in the bleak north Atlantic. Lamarr, a Jewish immigrant from Nazi-occupied Austria, who had been making America her home since 1938, was outraged.
She fought back by applying her engineering skills to development of a sonar sub-locator used in the Atlantic for the benefit of the Allies. The principles of her work are now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA and Bluetooth technology, and this work led to her to be inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.
Read more and see more photos here."
To smart beauties!!!

12 comments:
I had no idea Hedy Lamarr was so talented. I remember my Dad loved her. She was very pretty with lovely hair.
Very interesting. I did not know that about her. She was on chewing gum pictures when I was a child and that was all I knew till now.
Wow to you two!
I´ve never heard of her before!!!
...another bit of history that should be learned.
I'm glad that Facebook publishes things like this. I'm always learning something new and interesting (when it's not fake!)
I've seen a documentary about her -- she was really remarkable and so many don't know it. Thanks for sharing this.
I remember seeing her in old movies. What a smart beauty she was.
She was not only beautiful, but brilliant, too. I always liked her.
I had heard this story about Hedy Lamarr. Behind the great men are women equally brilliant and talented.
What a woman. And so beautiful too. Thank you for this story, Iris! I had never heard it before.
i recently saw a show about Heddy. She was quite the woman. I hope you had a nice weekend. hugs-Erika
Nice to learn so many of you already knew her!
Post a Comment