Thursday, November 21, 2024

Wipers



"Memory Lane Moments

Mary Anderson: The Unsung Hero of Windshield Wipers. Did you know that the windshield wiper, a crucial feature in modern cars, was invented by a woman named Mary Anderson? Born on an Alabama plantation in 1866, Mary was a real estate developer, rancher, and inventor who made history with her innovative idea.  

In 1902, during a snowy day in New York City, Mary rode a trolley and watched as the driver struggled to see through the icy windshield. She designed a spring-loaded lever with a rubber blade that allowed drivers to clean their view from inside the vehicle. 

Patented in 1903, her invention laid the foundation for windshield wipers as we know them today. 

Despite her groundbreaking work, Mary never profited from her invention. By the time windshield wipers became standard in cars, her patent had expired. Yet, today they are essential in safe driving, highlighting the vital role of creativity and perseverance. πŸš—❄️πŸ’‘
πŸ‘‰Also read and see more photos: https://besrilankan.com/21-historic-photos-that-captured.../
 #MaryAnderson #Innovation #WomenInSTEM #ForgottenFounders
"

Series:

 


"30 bizarre wildlife facts that are actually true

Howler monkeys are almost as loud as jet engines

Howler monkeys more than live up to their name, as they are so loud that their calls can be heard up to five kilometers away and are estimated to reach 140 decibels. For comparison, a jet engine produces about 150 decibels during takeoff - enough to damage an eardrum.

Howler monkeys make these loud noises to mark their territory, with neighboring groups roaring back and forth to let others know their location."

 Henry 🦁 

 

 
Looks more like a big yawn, Baby...



24 comments:

River said...

Of course it was a woman who invented such a useful thing. We don't have howler monkeys, thank goodness, bt we do have possums that mark their area with guttural loud barks that echo outward like the ripples in a pond. And always late at night.

Bertiebo said...

Interesting story. I owe Mary a debt of gratitude, especially now. It's snowing!

Iris Flavia said...

Possums make sounds?! We had one at a NP and it was quiet. Just wanted food.... Other we have dogs, cats and ravens that are loud.... The latter in the mornings.

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, we had snow here, too! Eek!!! 2C right now....

Tine de Jong said...

This just goes to show that women can also invent beautiful and good things. And I knew that about the howler monkeys. Nice post shared. Wish you happy days.

Anonymous said...

Good morning. I did not know this about the windshield wipers-thanks so much for sharing her story.
Happy weekend coming up hugs Kathy

magiceye said...

Where would the world be without women!
Wowsome fact about howler monkeys!

Tom said...

...women rule! Or they should!

Christine said...

Terrible she is not recognized

julie ann lozada said...

Mary Anderson’s story highlights an important, though often overlooked, invention, while the howler monkey fact is a fun reminder of the incredible power of nature’s sounds. Both showcase how creativity and nature can surprise us in unexpected ways!

http://www.itsjulieann.com/

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you and I fully agree to both!

Iris Flavia said...

You´re welcome, Kathy :-)
To a great weekend soon, hugs to you and the lake

Iris Flavia said...

Where would the world be without men, we all are needed :-)
As howler monkeys!

Iris Flavia said...

Or we should be equal, how about that?

Iris Flavia said...

At least she and her work are not forgotten...

Iris Flavia said...

That is all very true!

Jeanie said...

Hats off to Mary Anderson. On a rainy day I would have trouble driving without her!

Bill said...

Thanks to the world for Mary Anderson. I remember driving in terrible weather and I can't imagine not having wipers.

CJ Kennedy said...

I had heard the story of Mary. Typical for a woman not to get credit.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Now I know the store of the windshield wiper

Iris Flavia said...

So yes!!!

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, when I still had a car I was thankful for that, too!

Iris Flavia said...

Well, she maybe should have... oh, it was a time when women were "nothing"...

Iris Flavia said...

Always think of her as credit maybe...