Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Heritage ...



(I mean... a gate for... what? A ladder to nowhere?...)

What is our "Heritage" - oh, you could talk about this endlessly - and in so many ways, positive... and too many negative sides turn up.

I do not have children (it was my choice, I would not have been a good Mum). I have Nieces, though, and, technically, also nephews (Ingo´s Bro´s, two boys, one an adult already!!! And two more girls, too.).



This is what you see when you walk up Howard Street in Perth to the "real" CBD, as I did on March 1st on my own. You´ll also find this:



Howard Chambers.
They say Heritage is about the things from the past which are valued enough today to save for tomorrow..

Wise words, please, if you care, have a look here for more wisdom:
What is Heritage?.

What is your heritage?
As you can guess mine is not "fine" - I am only half-German, though, and my German Grandfather (who died when my Dad was 14) never served as a soldier.
Time might tell.
He was the only watch-maker in town and now I live in Braunschweig, the city that "makes" the time for Europe with it´s atomic "clock" (and much more)...

(More beauty is to come)

Life... isn´t simply this "heritage"?
How my big Niece laughed so silly and loud about... I don´t even know what I told her, it was something she did as a toddler.
Her lille Sis came running from Grandpa to ask what is so funny?
If my heritage is humour I´m happy.
(Even if, not even hitting 50, I have no real idea what I´d said back in last August!)

9 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Heritage is something out of our control Iris, we can't be responsible for what our forebearers did, we can only hope to leave a better heritage for our children and grandchildren. You have to tell us the funny thing you said if you remember what it was 😀😀

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Grace, you are right. For the first part!
The second... I don´t recall. She was like an old Bavarian man, slapping her knee, laughing! :-)

Sami said...

Now I'm smiling at your niece slapping her knees laughing. That's funny :)
I have to agree with Grace regarding heritage. We have to do better for the future generation, that's all that can be expected.

Iris Flavia said...

I agree with both, Sami (I just wonder where that Bavarian girl is from!!).
We have to try to do better, but politics often keep us at bay...

William Kendall said...

Interesting patterns on this curious gate.

Iris Flavia said...

No description, sadly...

peppylady (Dora) said...

There things in all families when it comes to heritage should come forward and other should be eliminated.
Before my son here born and no one grows up in perfect family. There was one thing that I didn't want to continue on...it probably been going for generation...well I decided to break the mold.
I am sure I messed up in some other area.
On your first photo I didn't notice the ladder tell you point out.
Coffee is on

Iris Flavia said...

Well. I wasn´t thinking of my family but of "The Germans" - thank you for putting it right - heritage is family, not a nation!

Jeanie said...

There is good food for thought in this post about heritage. I like it very much and gives me much to think over. I love doing my family history and I've learned it isn't all pretty but we get to work on our part. Sometimes better than other times but hopefully we all leave something for others to remember us by, whether it is a smile, a funny story or a life saving moment.