Thursday, September 20, 2018

Teachers



Bet you had good and bad teachers, too?

Ingo and my Bro had a German teacher called "Lederstrumpf" (a real mean nickname... leather-sock, don´t ask me why - they said her skin was brown and like old leather).
She taught "British English" - grammar was sooo important.

I had a teacher from ... tadaaa... Great Britain, but he never cared that much about grammar (The last man on the moon, Eugene Cernan has passed away by now, sadly).

First time I met said great teacher was in grade 7...

Well, you start learning English in grade 5 and I was given an "English" name by that stupid teacher back then, "Judy", just like the chimpanzee in Daktari ... I felt like craving bananas all the time ;-)
No, it actually wasn´t funny, my name is Iris and yes, it´s pronounced differently in German, French and English, yet I do identify. Not with "Judy", tough!

So, we did speak some English in grade 7, right?

This teacher, Peter May, came into class, said in German "ok, guys, this is the very last time German is spoken here. You don´t know a word? Describe. Grammar? If not too bad I will not correct you."
And that was it with German!

One pupil said the school books are so boring - Peter May asked our parents to buy "Surprising Stories" and by golly, most read it even at home just to know the end of the story RIGHT NOW!

Language lab: Not the boring school stuff - Rock music, The Stones and alike - FUN!

I bought my first English book when I was in Great Britain aged 12... Charlotte's Web :-)



My French teacher... LOL. He was a small man and threw his keys after pupils who didn´t listen to his teaching. He was "hated".
Out of nowhere he used to say: "All books be put away, paper, pencil on desk. You... and you... up to the chalkboard.

Old and new grammar and vocabulary.

Next year no one wanted to be in his class, so they split up the two teacher´s names in numbers, put them in a hat and we - like in a lottery - picked.
I picked the other one!!!
And I made my friend give me hers and she was happy (and called me nerd - but what the heck, I still speak a tad French)!



Some teachers are great cause they´re not strict - other because they are.
I was lucky to have had both for the right language.

How about you?

7 comments:

Sami said...

Can't understand why a teacher would call you by another name, that's ridiculous and disrespectful!
I remember a strict History teacher but she made learning history so much fun, I used to love going to her classes. Then I had an accountancy teacher who was grumpy and mean and always too her dog, a boxer to class and he looked scary too. I hated maths and they way she thought and never managed to do well.

Iris Flavia said...

Disrespectful, that is the right word!
Well, I was always wondering when I saw all those name tags for key-rings etc in Perth mine never was in and when I ordered a burger (at Grill´d) it said "Irene".
But with the new technology (Iris-scan) I really thought my name gets a tad more known?

A dog (like that, too) in the class room?!
I hated maths, too.
The teacher said girls are too dumb anyways and used tanks to calculates how far away an object was. (He was a soldier before).
Teachers are quite mighty and I don´t know if they know...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I remember I loved English and French and did well at maths because I had a crush on my maths teacher 😀 I guess we all have the good/bad teacher experience.. pretty glad It's all over 😀😊

Iris Flavia said...

Haha, Grace, a crush on the math-teacher might be the best "solution" - not sure it´s over for me, though!!!!

Lois said...

I don't remember many of my teachers very well, except for when I was in 4th grade. Up until then, my family and friends had called me by both my first and last name: Lois Jean. My teacher decided that was too much for her and started calling me by only my first name. I have never forgiven her, because I loved my two names. My family stills uses both names, but most people call me by my first name only now. I guess it is easier.

Iris Flavia said...

Teachers can be stupid, right, Lois Jean?
I as a kid did not like my second name cause no one had it and I didn´t like to be "special".
But then Flavius-es turned up (male version) and, well... In Germany "Iris" is very common, so I needed a combination, hence...
But I am called by my first name only, too.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I heard of great and horrible teachers. I would say mine would be middle of the road.
Coffee is on