Ingo found this very interesting Youtube-Video that shows how much real science is in Star Trek!
I´d like to share some screenshots:
"Metin Tolan (born March 27, 1965 in Oldenburg in Holstein) is a German physicist and university professor. He was Professor of Experimental Physics at the Technical University of Dortmund and a science cabaret artist. From 2021 to 2024, he was President of the University of Göttingen."
With humor he explains many a Star Trek fact, that is based on real physiks - much unlike Star Wars, btw.
"Frank Donald Drake (May 28, 1930 – September 2, 2022) was an American astrophysicist and astrobiologist.
He began his career as a radio astronomer, studying the planets of the Solar System and later pulsars. Drake expanded his interests to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI), beginning with Project Ozma in 1960, an attempt at extraterrestrial communication. He developed the Drake equation, which attempts to quantify the number of intelligent lifeforms that could potentially be discovered. "
He began his career as a radio astronomer, studying the planets of the Solar System and later pulsars. Drake expanded his interests to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI), beginning with Project Ozma in 1960, an attempt at extraterrestrial communication. He developed the Drake equation, which attempts to quantify the number of intelligent lifeforms that could potentially be discovered. "
"A warp drive or a drive enabling space warp is a fictional superluminal (faster than the speed of light) spacecraft propulsion system in many science fiction works, most notably Star Trek, and a subject of ongoing real-life physics research."
As you can see Albert Einstein, the Casimir effect, the Alcubierre drive, W.A. Hiscock, M Pfennig and l. Ford and C. van den Broeck all "helped" developing it!
Isaac Newton sure would be proud to be in this.
Remember that episode? Let´s do some math!
Still playing around... in ENGLISH!
And here is the Fibonacci sequence... now, who´s correct?
Isn´t this too interesting?
We certainly got the book.
50 years,726 episodes a 45 minutes, many movies... you could watch Star Trek 24 days consistently!
Not only that, look:
The first of these books I got in Alice Springs in a second hand book-shop in 1999.
It was as if you watch the series.
Picture this: You sit in the Outback, "watch" Star Trek and when the sun goes down... a sky full of bright starts, The Southern Cross... it was WONDERFUL!
I drove Ingo nuts, because I wanted each and every one! These books were written in the 1960s and I really have them all!
Every.Second.Hand.Book.Shop.In.Perth! To get the last missing one. In each place that had a second hand book shop in Australia I was on a mission... Glad we had 7 month for this!
Here is the video - sadly in German:
The new series:
"33 retro dishes that are rarely served today
In the 1960s, aspic dishes, often artfully presented with various ingredients and decorations, were the culinary trend par excellence. Ham aspic, for example, was often served at festive occasions and used to be found in many restaurants. Today, aspic dishes are no longer as common in restaurants and are rarely found on menus."
I´d skip...
Henry 🦁


















20 comments:
I liked aspic dishes ... never had them in restaurants though, I made them at home fish and shellfish mostly, but with many kids it became too troublesome. I might take it up again now ;)
...I've never been a Trekkie!
Interesting. I read that some things, like beaming someone up, can't happen. At least not as far as we know in quantum physics. But I love star trek shows. They're the best kind of sci Fi. Happy rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika
Henry will have a blast being weightless in space!
Never had aspic, although I considered trying to make one back then.
Not a Trekkie or science person either, I confess, so all that is kinda gibberish to me!
Hope you're having a fine Sunday, Iris!
I've never had aspic either and I don't think I ever will. I watched a bit of Star Trek but not a lot.
Well, rather not my thing... My Mom bought the meaty-one with egg for my Dad.
Well, then this is like totally not interesting for you, Tom ;-)
Yes, sad beaming won´t happen, but then... my job would be gone, too! To a happy rest-Sunday, hugs
He really was up there, it was a school project.
Here you can bus (cheap one) at the supermarket and Ingo sometimes gets good one from the butcher. Thank you, Sue, I´m kinda wasting my time watching "Lost in translation"...
I´ll never try aspic, RedPat... Gives me the creeps.
Nice to see the retro dish!
I would never try...
I liked the original Star Trek with William Shatner. He is from here in Montreal.
Yep, I know :-) And he´s still got his humor!
I only slightly got into the very early star trek from the 1960s but not so much the latter stuff.
Physics is a language a bit too hard for me, I might understand basic stuff. I remember the Tribbles episode of Star Trek. I don't have any of those Star Trek books, but I do have the ET one.
Aspic is usually a meat-flavoured jelly, or some other savoury, I don't remember ever having any, but I do remember saving the drippings from roasting meats and when the fat rose to the top, the "jelly" underneath would be scraped off and used as soup stock, I have some in my freezer right now in containers, stock at the bottom, fat on top. The fat also holds the meat flavour a bit and is good for frying eggs and other things. Not for people who prefer oil, it's greasy especially if you use too much.
Yes, TOS was the best!!
Not really into physics, either, but that man explains it so well!!! Wish I had a teacher like him!
The ET one I got for free at Madeley´s Kingsway SC - I left another book in return. Only from the book I learned ET was into botanics!
Aspic... Ingo eats it sometimes, bought at he butcher.
My Mum bought the cheapy one with the egg inside for my Dad. Brrr....
Post a Comment