Friday, April 24, 2026

A Happy, Concentrated FFO

 
 
A rather miserable try to capture my Dad at work for...
 
 
 
I would only have made it worse if I kept on so... that´s my Dad-portrait. 
I think here you see him in his role as watch-maker. He loved his jobs so I reckon that qualifies as "happy" face.
He was also an optometrist and a goldsmith, a hearing aid acoustician and businessman.
Well, and a Husband and Dad. 
He was into astronomy and had three telescopes under a real dome. Back in the day that was rather expensive and my home town is small.
As optometrist he got the telescopes much cheaper. 
 

He hung out there with Ingo without me knowing this, I was still in my kid´s room, there were the skip-window is open in the roof. Did I love when the rain came....
De facto I met Ingo´s Dad before I met Ingo!
Ingo´s Dad was a criminalist who investigated successfully in my parent´s shop against a trainee.
Dad also invited school kids to watch. Or, well, anybody! There was a sign: "For free!" in front.
My Dad, huh... In icy cold nights he dragged us kids out of bed to watch the stars (less light pollution).
 
This is how he really looked like:
 

 
Note that hair sticking out at the top!
And yes. I had to earn my money.
Delivering newspaper / being chased by dogs - I am AFRAID of dogs! - , working in the factory, I was raised "humble".
 
For Gillena´s Lunch Break I have this:
 
 
Now, some funnies, cause after all  it´s Friday!
 
A documentary about wolves in Germany is on TV.
Anchor: "They're saying the wolf has killed another deer."
Older man: "What else is he supposed to do? Harvest asparagus?"
 
It is  asparagus season over here and Braunschweig used to grow them a lot.
 

 

 





 Henry 🦁 

Happy Friday to you!




50 comments:

magiceye said...

Lovely portrait and introduction to the fascinating dads!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, thank you!

Lisca said...

Your dad sounds amazing! What an interesting man!
Yes, I sang along too. A moray!
Cats are so funny. My cat usually sleeps in his 'bed' but is quite happy to sleep in a carrier bag or even on a paper towel.
I probably need 9 hours sleep, but my cat wakes me up early. That's why I'm not as pretty as Rose.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca

Iris Flavia said...

Dad was a good man. LOL, yes the moray! To cats, I enjoy them only online. I slept more than 9 hours, was of no use ;-) To a happy weekend.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Your Dad's portrait is great, as you truly captured one of his life passions. I also loved learning about him, and getting to know about how you were raised. It must have been fascinating growing up in your home, especially since you had telescopes and a dome. I can tell how much you loved him by your post. Blessings!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, and yes, I miss him very much at times, though those cold nights were not funny! And we were very much alike which lead to fights once in a while.... But he was a good man.

My name is Erika. said...

I recognized your Dad straight off. You can really draw actual faces. Nicely done. :) !!!! And how cool you had an astronomy dome on your house as a kid. That must have been very neat. And we call your skip-windows skylights. We have multiple on our house, and I wouldn't mind a few more. They let in good light and not the rain when it comes. Have a super FRiday and start to your weekend. hugs-Erika And yes, 35 degrees C is hot for me, especially when it's not dry heat but humid. With my Nordic background, that's a little too steamy for me. hugs-Erika

Gene Black said...

Happy Friday. i would have loved to hang out with your Dad.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, thank you, Erika, I was disappointed of the portrait but... was stuck, kinda!
Cool is the correct word, it was freezing and in the middle of the night! I wasn´t asked it was, "come on!!!"
Skylight, new word learned.
Funny fact: Despite Dad and I were so alike he hated the heat... To a great Friday, hugs (9C / 48F here, brrrr).

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, you´re 24 years too late for that... Darn cancer took him at age 65.

Anonymous said...

Lovely portrait and tribute to your smart Dad good for you trying charcoal. Thanks for the laughs-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your portrait really captures your Dad's quiet smile of enjoyment and satisfaction! He was a man of many interests and accomplishments, clearly.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, yes, getting the charcoal out again... last I used them 1997...

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, I miss him. And he missed so much. Thank you.

Granny Sue said...

I think your portrait is very good, Iris! Your Dad was such an interesting man, very smart. I am impressed that he had his own dome, wow.
Thank you for the funnies! Good laughs. Imagining wolves picking asparagus now.

Maria Medeiros said...

Happy Friday! Wonderful portrait of your dad! Truly lovely!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you and LOL on the last.... We have white asparagus growing here - which I sadly don´t like.
es Dad... was also into other hobbies. He built historical weapons and started the musketeers - reckon I need to honor him there, too. My Brother now holds the position.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you. I miss him.

Mia said...

What a great portrait or your Dad!!! Congratulations, Iris.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you. A portrait from a time long ago. I was a baby still!

MELODY JACOB said...

I love the detail about meeting Ingo's father through a criminal investigation in the shop before you even met Ingo; it feels like the kind of serendipity found in a classic novel. Hearing about your early jobs delivering newspapers and being chased by dogs makes your upbringing feel very grounded and relatable, even if it instilled a lasting fear.

RedPat said...

I think that your portrait of your dad is quite good, Iris. I loved the story about his telescopes. he sounds like he was an interesting man.

Jeanie said...

I loved both the photo of your dad and your spot-on interpretation of it. You really nailed it, Iris. The expression, especially -- that's so hard to do. He sounds like a wonderful and talented man. And very cool about Ingo's dad too!

The Padre said...

Good On Ya !!!

Excellent Post ,
Cheers

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, oh, a novel, I never thought of that - can you imagine our surprises when Ingo "introduced" me to his parents? Huppsi.
I wanted a cat and got a German Shepherd instead - that´s were the fear started, I was 5 ;-)
All good, I manage.

Iris Flavia said...

He sure was (and thank you, RedPat). I miss him. Pretty much today...

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Jeanie, yes, Ingo´s Dad is some cool dude, too! They live with Ingo´s younger Brother but he calls occasionally.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you and Cheers!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The portrait of you Dad looks great, it nice to learn more about him. I am sure the kids all loved coming to your house.
I did not know there were wolves in Germany. It is cool to have the dome on your house, I always enjoyed looking through a telescope. I enjoyed the funnies and the Henry and cub photo.
Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great weekend.

Iris Flavia said...

Eileen, yes, I´m happy to share about my Dad. I miss him. Wolves come in from "the East".
Wearing glasses telescopes is always a ... pain! but... to a happy weekend!

DVArtist said...

You are just way too hard on yourself, Iris. Your art is excellent. I love that you did it in charcoal and I love the little hair sticking up. Yum on the coconut and I love the funnies. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Fundy Blue said...

You had the coolest Dad, Iris, and you can see his deep engagement with the watch. It's a great portrait! OMG ~ He had his own observatory! That's a first in my books. I'd have been right up there looking at the stars with him. What a unique story about meeting Iago's father and him. And I laughed through your funnies, especially the contrary cat one. Gotta love cats for the independent creatures they are. Actually every funny was awesome. Have a great weekend!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Nicole. Also very much for seeing the weird hair :-) To a lovely weekend!

Gillena Cox said...

Bravo, great portrait of your dad
Happy Friday
Thank you for linking to AFFF today

Much love

Bill said...

The portrait of your dad is great. Obviously you have some great drawing talent and the portrait looks fantastic in charcoal. Funny funnies, thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

Amypie71 said...

Your dad sounds like a very intelligent man and I can see why that outside deck was important. I can see the resemblance between you both, have a nice weekend.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Your dad sounds like he was a fascinating guy, and a man of many talents. I love the dome, and the idea of letting school kids check out a telescope!!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Louise. Yes, my Dad was.. "special". And Ingo´s Dad, oh, wee, it sure was a surprise! To laughing and a great weekend! And cats!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Gillena. And to a happy Friday!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Bill.... Have you visited Nicole? She has great talent!
But thank you, to smiles and a great weekend!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Amy. Yes, I have his eyes, hands and stomach. And the darn stubbornness...

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, he was some guy I miss very much. Cancer took him away at age 65... He shared everything.

Tom said...

...I was raise humble too and that's a good thing!

River said...

I agree with others that your Dad was amazing and your portrait is also very good. I was raised humble too. Mum:" get a job and work for your money, it means more when you earned it and no matter what your job, be the best you can be. If you clean toilets, be the best toilet cleaner, if you sweep streest, be the best street sweeper" and so on.
I DID sing "that's amore" 😁
PUDDING!!

Bertiebo said...

Your dad was special, I can see that, and interesting. You made a wonderful portrait, in words here and on paper!

Iris Flavia said...

I agree!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, yes, he was a good Dad and weeee.... in school I never jumped as high as when a dog chased me - I did my very best! The gate fell close and... I ripped my clothes but the dog didn´t get me. I skipped that house then, though...
Amore and Pudding 😍

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Bertiebo. I sure miss him now and there is so much more that came back to my mind...

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear friend Iris, I love your sketch. Of course I love cats...and Henry and cub are adorable. Your charcoal drawing of your dad is amazing. Hugs and love to you.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, dear friend Linda - hugs and love back.