Saturday, May 30, 2020

Can You Believe This?!



I had to call Ingo, "come, see! Can you believe this?!"!

We had shit#y weather, too cold, sunny, but, too cold, no rain since weeks, but LOOK!!

A couple of years ago, before a certain person "redid" my family´s garden, I picked some strawberry plants to take to Braunschweig, LUCKILY I did!!!!
They are the only ones left :-(

1974 my Mum went to the woods with me.
My Mum, not my Dad, please do not think of Hänsel and Gretel, I came home safely ;-)

She dugged out two or three plants "with me" and they made their way into our garden, wood-strawberries all over, they multiplied like crazy and gave those tiny, sweet fruits!

And now they fought their way on the balcony through winter, as my T always says, "no need to take them inside, they will do!", and I listen to him.

Oh, Mum, these are for you!!!



I still wonder how they do it?
I watered them once and then forgot about them, as said, too cold to enjoy the balcony.
But when putting out another walnut for Peanut, our squirrel, ... weeeee.
There they were! Tiny, but feisty!

Need to send a pic to Bro, or should I?
Maybe it just makes him sad as he has them no more.
But they were "mine" anyways, he´s more than 5 years younger than me.
And I was only two years old.

Lion of the day:



They are no longer Seesener strawberries, they´re Braunschweig
ones now, Henry says.
Clever Lion that is, huh? And he prefers love, not strawberries. A gently shouted "hi Henry!", when you pass him and he´s happy, that cutie pie.



He´ll take care.

And, btw... in this case he´s a token for a trolley/shopping cart, too, he helps you out whenever he can!
I have a different one I show you soon, he´s too precious to use, Ingo turned him into a jewlery for me.

(These last two, the T-shirt and the Key-ring are just pics I took in the shops, I do not buy it all)

24 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Schöne Erdbeeren. Ich hatte viele Pflanzen in meine letzte Wohnung, aber hier hab ich nicht genug Platz dafür gehabt. Heute gibt's bei mire aber Erdbeeren und Blaubeeren, yummy. Dir einen schönen Tag, GlG, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhh, Blaubeeren mag ich auch! Ja, der Balkon ist viel zu voll mit Pflanzen, aber was soll ich tun?! ;-)
Dir auch einen schönen Tag, kalt und bewölkt hier... GlG, Iris

Ella said...

Are the strawberries still fresh?
They are two years younger than you ... LOL
That indeed is a small wonder that the strawberry plant lives so long!
I like the key ring with Henry.
Enjoy your long weekend and don't complain so much anymore! Is not cold! In a month you will complain that it is extreme hot!
A little BIG hug for the elephant that gets cold!! 🐘

xoxo

Iris Flavia said...

Ella :-)
The strawberries are still on the plants! You can´t get it more fresh! They still need a few days.
Hahaha. You will NEVER hear me complain about heat, I´m Australian proofed, 40+C is a joy for me!
45+ I might say, uh, a bit too hot. ;-)
Litlle BIG trunk hugs to you xoxo

At Home In New Zealand said...

We can buy plants of little alpine strawberries which I think are similar to what you have there. They are so tiny and so sweet, little bursts of intense flavour. It's wonderful that they are still going strong after so many years and even better that they come with precious memories. Enjoy them :) Mxx

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, it´s especially the memories!!
It is sad, thouh, that I cannot remember being in the woods with my Mother at that time. My memory sets in when I was about 4...
But hmmm, can´t wait to enjoy the berries! I xx

Sami said...

I had no idea strawberry plants lived so long. I've had no luck with strawberries, the plants I've bought only give a few and mainly they get eaten by the birds.
I like the T-shirt and key ring :)
Have a nice weekend Iris.

Iris Flavia said...

Sami, I think "wild" strawberries from the woods are stronger! They fight through even cold winters in pods.
Sadly I´m not allowed to bring you some - they still multiply like crazy!
A nice weekend to you, too!

William Kendall said...

That's been productive.

Iris Flavia said...

Hope it will go on!

Tom said...

...I didn't realize that strawberry plants lived so long, you have a real treasure.

Bill said...

The strawberry plant that keeps on growing and giving. Fresh strawberries are the best. We just had a strawberry (frozen) and banana smoothie. It was great!
Another warm 23C and sunny. Have a good weekend, Iris.

magiceye said...

Oh wow! Home grown organic strawberries! Great!

Mae Travels said...

The connection between your cherished childhood memory and real strawberries in your own home is fabulous. What a great connection.

be well and good luck with the job hunt!... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Tom , the woods make you strong! OK, they muktiply and recon I have great-great-great..... kids here :-)

____


20C, Bill, but I´m positive we have a BBQ on Monday, I bought meat!
And Hubby brought... big strawberries, local ones! :-) To a great weekend!

____

Magiceye, YES!

____

Mae, yes to both, thank you, to a happy weekend!

Jeanie said...

Those strawberries are so sweet -- in more ways than one. I adore the story that goes with them, too!

Iris Flavia said...

Jeanie, thank you, yes to both!!

gigi-hawaii said...

Cute story about how you managed to acquire the strawberry plants. Yes, I know Hansel and Gretel, the story, very well. Even in Hawaii, imagine.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never tried to grow strawberries, but I absolutely adore the ones you have. Perfect, too that they survive and thrive in harsh conditions. LOVE both lions today, Iris.

Sonia said...

Lovely Strawberries! Perfect weather to relish them in salad and smoothies! Thanks for sharing!

peppylady (Dora) said...

We usual have patch of strawberries. But now we don't. I sure miss fresh strawberries

My name is Erika. said...

Nice strawberries. They look yummy. And really nice to have those plants and they give you a spring treat. Happy weekend!

Iris Flavia said...

gigi, does your witch´s house is of gingerbread, too? ;_)

____

Elizabeth, yes, these are lille, tough guys, as are the lions!

____


Sonia, it´s just a hand... nah, not even a handful, a tiny wee bit, the more of a treasure it is!

____

Dora, hubby just got some locals from the store, As in Strawberries ;-)

____

Erika, yes, a lille treat! A nice weekend to you, too!

Joan Elizabeth said...

We have wild strawberries like that in our mountains garden and they sure do multiply like crazy. I guess I think of them as more or less a weed but don't attack them too much since they fill empty space but I rarely even think of harvesting the fruit of which there is plenty.