Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Have A Bite



Found this sign in Südstrasse, it´s the Sushi Bar.

Very, very sadly I have troubles with eating fish, especially raw, I do know it´s healthy!
Thank you, Dad, dumb genes you gave me - but good ones, too.
My Mum and Brother love fish...

Well, not even this nice lady can make me try...



Pic taken pre-spring...
BUT!

I can make up for this with this brolly my Dad brought from his journey to Japan!!









Back then economy was strong. Sell a certain amount of SEIKO-watches, you get a little holiday in Japan for free!



Here Mum went, no brolly, Dad had to do that! She was pregnant with my Brother, as you can see, boys always take up more "space", do they? ;-)
My parents ran a shop, so one had to stay and work, right?



Then ... more watches sold!

And me in pain, this is for Ella and Stevenson ;-)



This is a real kimono, can you imagine how long it took me to get to school?! Tiny steps you can make in this !!
The "brolly" is real, also. It´s the one from above. Paper. That´s like porcelain, not good in my hands!
And that stupid wig!
And yes. I always was smaller than the others. I wish I could say I´m much younger but soooo intelligent I skipped classes, but, nada.... I´m just small...

I hate dressing up, I even don´t take make up other than Kajal and Mascara - I once did, for my then boy-friend, only a bit and...

...my car did not start!

That was a message! Ummm... "sign"!!

I had the "cosmetics" from my Brother, too. He got them as pressie cause people misread his name as a female "Helga" and sent female pressies for his confirmation!
He gave it all to me.
A big hahaha, porcellain cup, black, with girly-flowers, boy, his frustration upon opening those kinds of pressies still makes me laugh!!



I still wonder how Dad made it around the fish, likely a rice-only-diet!!! ;-)

Or he unpuzzled the Sushi?



Henry has a lille laugh on this!

This is for "Tom´s "Signs 2".

And to see the Japanese lady fully, just pop in at the murals at Sami´s!

32 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sushi mag ich auch nicht gern, aber der Japanische Schirm ist hübsch. Ein schönes Kostüm hast du auch gehabt. Dir einen schönen Tag, pack dich gut ein gegen die Kälte! GlG, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Ja, schade, ne, so gesund, Sushi.
Brrr, ja, packe mich gerade ein.
Aber Sonne :-) GlG, Iris

Ella said...

I really don't like sushi ... raw fish 🐟
So ... you really were a little Cho-chi-san! LOL
The original umbrella that your father bought is BEAUTIFUL !!
And the "samurai" is beautiful ... now I understand where the mural comes from!
That's not true ... the boys don't take more "space", the girls do that ... I tell you that from experience … 🤰
Have a great day, a little big hug for my Hathi!🐘
xoxo

P.S I'm out and about playing with Jojo!

Iris Flavia said...

Ella, I took the wig off ;-) But I use chopsticks.

Kids then are kids in the making!
My Mum was pregnant with me 4th month on her wedding - psst, don´t tell! ;-) - and you did not see that all all.
My Brother??? He took his space in there later!

Wee, just had a 10 km run for Ingo - cold, but sunny, so. Yes a beautiful day so far, same to you and a little BIG hug, my ears flap from the mask! xoxo

Stevenson said...

IRIS!!! Okay okay Im having a hard time how to start. Okay I'll start with the
beautiful Parasol! That is sooooo precious! Not just because it's made with delicate material, and not also just because it's from Japan, but it's from you father which makes that even more priceless! I love it!

It's so amazing that having a certain sales of Seiko watches (I love Seiko) can bring you to a trip to Japan! And Japan is quite far from Germany so that is very much an amazing treat! Love your Mom's photo! She is a very stylish pregnant lady!

And now, that photo! Iris that is so precious and so cute! I have to be very honest with you since you are a dear friend but I really laughed when I saw your expression! You have 0% happiness meter while wearing that Kimono, just as you said, pain! OMG! Iris, please don't kill me!!!! But I love the overall look and your parents did a great job in fusing the look together with authentic items! Oh that is super cute!!!

That photo of your dad with a Geisha is so wonderful! It's like taken from a vintage Japanese film! I love it!

Thank you so much for sharing all these beautiful photos and memories Iris! Would love to see this on Timeless Thursday! you know how I love old photos!
Stevenson

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh your dad really did have an eye for beautiful things Iris, the parasol with the peacock design is gorgeous, I have a thing about peacocks, wonderful 💜 I do love salmon and white fish but if has to be cooked 😉

Iris Flavia said...

Stevenson, no worries, I won´t kill you ;-)
The Parasol sadly is closed andsits right at the Didgeridoo in the corner.
BUT, maybe we can hang it on the ceiling to see every day, thank you for the input, let´s see.

SEIKO is still around? Wow. My Brother has the shop now and ... he is "just" an optometrist and goldsmith, the watches are just running along.

Yes, Mum in those trousers, I loved those!

I hated that costume and that stuff in my face and on my head, LOL.
I once had to go as Pippi Longstocking, too. ARGH.
No pic, I likely looked too mad ;-)
But my Niece went as her, too, and she loved it.

See you tomorrow on your link-party with this, dear friend :-)

____

Grace, yes, I´ll ask Ingo if our ceiling can take the parasol, it´s a tad complicated here...
White fish is OK to me, salmon already makes me... Tuna is good, too. But only cold. I hope Sami is not reading along ;-)
The lasagna was good, I just hate the smell of hot tuna.

Tom said...

...raw fish doesn't sound like proper food to me, I'll pass. I doubt if I will ever get to Japan, the pictures that I've seen are always beautiful. Thanks Iris for sharing, enjoy your week.

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing these wonderful memories with us. I love fish but I won't eat it raw hugs

Iris Flavia said...

Tom, put on the pan, then ;-)
And white fish, please...

____

Kathy, I´m with ya, hugs!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I am missing sushi from my favourite place. Hopefully they open for take out at least!!!

Iris Flavia said...

Restaurants open here already, as in dine-in! Good luck to your place, awful for both sides...

Stevenson said...

Ohhhh I do think it is best closed as well but there may be a way to display it without opening it and it would look amazing! But hanging it on the ceiling sounds like a beautiful plan too! Just like a pretty chandelier I guess? :)

Oh Yes! Seiko is still famous here in the Philippines, especially that our country very much believes in Japanese quality items and things. It's so cool that your brother inherited your family shop and he continues it.

Oh! I've heard about Pippi Longstocking, when the Miss Universe pageant was held here, Miss Sweden's National Costume was Pippi Longstocking :)

See you on there dear Iris!

magiceye said...

That was a lovely walk down memory lane.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Stevenson, you bring on ideas - a lamp!
Sadly our ceiling is a weird one and the one lamp I have here is from my parent´s, a 70´s lamp!
I cannot let go of that.
And in our bedroom we have a pirate ship alreday... Oh, I sound like a weirdo! ;-)
We also have a bull on the ceiling.

Well, Bro is having a hard time. Most come by, get his advise and order online somewhere else...

Miss Universe as Pippi! Cuuute!

At Home In New Zealand said...

What a beautiful parasol. Sometimes I wish they would come back into fashion, as they are such a great way to keep the sun off the face. Our sun here is very harsh and it is easy to get badly burnt - plus I have very fair skin :)

gigi-hawaii said...

I live in Hawaii, which is multi ethnic with lots of Japanese people and Japanese restaurants. I like sushi, but not raw fish, so I order crab sushi which is cooked and vegetarian sushi, too.

RedPat said...

The umbrella is beautiful, Iris!

Carola Bartz said...

Wie schade, dass du keinen Fisch essen kannst, oder nur sehr begrenzt. Ich liebe Fisch - und sushi. Unser kleiner Lebensmittelladen um die Ecke hat ausgezeihnetes sushi, das jeden Tag frisch vor Ort vorbereitet wird vom "sushiman", man kann ihm dabei zuschauen. Der seaweed salad ist besonders beliebt in unserem Haus, den hole ich auch, wenn ich Poke mache.
Was für ein schöner Schirm - ich hatte einen ähnlichen aus Taiwan mitgebracht - das war 1983, und ich habe keine Ahnung, wo er jetzt ist. Ich hatte ihn lange in einer Zimmerecke hängen, war eine wirklich schöne Dekoration.

Iris Flavia said...

mrgaret, I know, and I share with you. In Perth, as in Germany I see people with brollies is the sun!

____

gigi, I tried chicken sushi, but the combination was too fishy!

____

RedPat, yes!

____

Carola, ja, blöd und dumm mit dem Fisch! Gene!
Stevenson brachte mich auch auf die Idee, den Schirm an die Decke zu hängen!

Bill said...

I love fish but it needs to be cooked. Got a chuckle out of your mother's bell bottoms. They are so 70s for me. :)
Cool and rain with bits of sun. Enjoy the evening, Iris.

Stevenson said...

Oh I'm with you on that 70's lamp Iris, NEVER let that go because I'm sure that looks beautiful! Oh not sounding weird at all! I have pretty 'weird' things on my room as well, which my friends call a souvenir shop because I display a lot of things from my travels to remind me of the memories haha

Oh that is just so sad :( That is also the case here in our country where the ones online is just unbelievably priced so low :(

Iris Flavia said...

Bill, yes, these were the awesome, beautiful, crazy and colorful 70´s!
A nice evening to you!

____


Stevenson, let´s show our travem stuff!
I have loads, guess you, too xx

Caty said...

I don´t like sushi too, never never with fresh fish.
Great stories yours.
Have a nice Thursday,
Big hugs, Caty

Small City Scenes said...

Love the photos and signs but not the Sushi---that is all yours. What a fun thing to win a trip from selling watches. Your Mother and Father were fun lovers
MB

peppylady (Dora) said...

I inherited my mom gene for lactose intolerance. Oh how love ice cream.

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone's safe and staying safe. I just read that the virus is mutating and getting much more dangerous. I don't want to alarm anyone but it's time to get right with God, cause this is getting downright scary! Stay home and stay safe, guys!

Jim said...

Love sushi.

Iris Flavia said...

Caty, sad we cannot take the healthy stuff! Big hugs and to a nice Thursday to you!

___

MB, thank you, no sushi for me! ;-)
Yes, that were the times back then, huh....

____

Oh, Dora, I´m sorry! Water-ice comes to mind...

____

Anonymous... let´s stay positive. And realistic.

____

Jim, Lucky you!!!

Jeanie said...

That parasol is exquisite, Iris. So beautiful and so delicate. And while you may have hated the dressing up, you looked wonderful in the kimono. Now that's definitely quite a memory!

I love sushi but not sashimi (raw fish). I'm pretty careful around here as we are so far from water. I did have sashimi in Japan where the fish was very fresh and it was OK, especially the salmon. But some? Not so much!

Lowcarb team member said...

Sushi is quite popular …

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

WE saw geishas in Japan when I went 2 years ago. So many tourists rent kimonos and get dressed up and walk around the cities. Not me. But it is fun to see them. Hugs-Erika