Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Hey, You Sweet Teeth, Wake Up!

 
 
As you can guess this sign I took a pic of is in Emden.
"Huus" is East Frisian for "house". Candies are "Süßigkeiten" - nothing for me.
Pizza, please!
 
Do you know any of these, too?
"WARHEADS"?!!!! "PEBBLES"???? Both sound like a big Outch!
 
With this I join Tom´s Signs2 and since Spring is happily on the way I also go with Aimeslee´s Spring-theme.
 

 Bare with me, I´m still a beginner and once dried these sketches look so boring!
I´m too slow and my plan is: Diluent N - but it´s dark right now, bad idea.

Henry 🦁
 
I am a frugal beginner. I use the paper that came with the watercolor-set, it´s 20*12cm, 8 sheets.
I split most in half AND always use both sides...
So those 8 papers make ca. 32 beginner-sketches and if not too bad I´ll share.

Why the heck did I wait so long trying water colors - it´s fun!!!
What is your fav media?
Tips and help as always welcome.
 
Hach!!!! "Signs!!!! I watch "Lost Places"  on my right monitor whilst I type. They say Hawaii and pronounce it correctly in both languages (drives me NUTS when they have the harsh "W". Pronounce Canberra wrong and trouble is on the way (I know, I did!)).
 
Barcelona and Bockenem are two more that can cause "aggression" when pronounced wrong, btw. And believe me. East Germans fail to pronounce Barcelona, where our tram is built, the right way. Heard it too often, always cringed.
My Mum had a friend from there, hence I know how to pronounce that!
Same with you?
 
Shoot. Now I crave Toast Hawaii... But we have too much food from the weekend still.
House-pig (me) has other stuff to eat hence...




20 comments:

Bettie said...

Love your Henry!

Iris Flavia said...

Henry says thank you!

Tom said...

...sweets are one of my many weaknesses! But pizza is one too. Good morning Iris and Henry.

Iris Flavia said...

LOL, Tom, no pizza for me (still stuffed peppers to go!).
And I just had old potatoes for lunch, oh, gack ;-)
Was yummy. Enjoy some sweets with your Sweetie I´d say!

My name is Erika. said...

It happens to me also; why do I wait to try something? Watercolors are great. And love both of your pieces today. They're different from colored pencils, but you'll get the hang of it quickly.Actually it looks like you're making a great start. Happy Wednesday Iris, and thanks for sharing some flowers with us for at AJJ for Aimeslee's challenge. hugs-Erika

magiceye said...

Tiny Henry is the cutest!

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, thank you :-) And I hop I´ve learned for life to not wait but do try new things! Hugs

____

magiceye, Henry says thank you!

Christine said...

Good sign and nice art. Practice makes perfect.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your Li'l Henry is adorable and your edible pepper flower looks delicious. From the Candy Huus sign. Pebbles and Cap'n Crunch are sugary breakfast cereal. Hostess is a company that makes snack cakes: Cupcakes, Snoballs, and the infamous Twinkie. Wasn't there an episode of Simpsons where Homer goes in search of the Wonderbread factory? (Wonderbread and Hostess were owned by parent company Continental Baking) The factory Homer goes in search of was in my hometown.

Sami said...

Don't think I know any of those sweets.
Love your little Henry, such a cute painting Iris.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Iris, your art is not boring at all - both your flower and lion, Henry, are beautiful! I love the way you are trying new things - watercolor painting isn't easy and yours both look amazing! I also like how you used the paper that came with the watercolor set! Thanks for sharing your art with us. Happy May! Hugs, Sharon

Iris Flavia said...

Christine, I am far from perfect ;-) But I´ll keep trying!

____

CJ, thank you. Oh, you get cereals in a candy shop?! Strange. I had pepper with mushrooms and cheese...
Wonderbread factory, hmmm. Dunno, I immediately have the one episode where he steals a doghnut from a rubbish bin. Oh, we get it all in German! It was a Müllbrötchen and Skinner had a Hemdschniepel and wanted to leave his body...
How VERY COOL is that it was your hometown!!!!
New episode maybe? We´ll get it later, but if I will know where that is!!!

____

Sami, thank you, says Henry! I have no idea of the sweets, either!

____

Sharon, thank you very much - I sadly cannot comment on your main site (like 3 others already, too). Hugs, thank you for stopping by!

gigi-hawaii said...

I never had Toast Hawaii, and I live in Hawaii. LOL. I prefer oil paintings, but your watercolor of Henry is beautiful.

RedPat said...

My comment seems to have disappeared but I really wanted to tell you how much I liked wee Henry, Iris. And I will skip the candies too.

Iris Flavia said...

gigi, go for the toast, it´s yummy! It was "invented in the early 1950´s when Germans wanted to but could not afford to go to Hawaii!

____

RedPat, I am sorry, blogger really sucks!
Henry says thank you :-)

Bill said...

Little Henry is very cute. Never have heard of those candies.

Jeanie said...

Watercolor is my favorite and it takes awhile to bond with it. It's fun but takes time to learn how the water works. There are a lot of good online tutorials and starter things that really help. Email me if you'd like some suggestions. I know you are swamped with work and it's hard to get time in to do them. (Even when you AREN'T swamped with work!)

I LOVE little Henry!

Iris Flavia said...

Bill, I didn´t go inside... Ack, candies.

____

Jeanie, YES, please! I cannot promise I have the time/nerve but I want to learn!!! E-Mail on the way!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Water colours are my favourites! Your flower is fabulous and perfect for AJJ. Love Henry, hugs, Chrisx

nwilliams6 said...

Darling flower and Henry, Iris. I think they are precious. You are getting better every time and I love it! Hugz