Saturday, April 18, 2020

l'chaim - Not From This World!



"How are you supposed to be normal with parents who survived Auschwitz?"

I was watching the movie Chupze.
Certainly something for a German.
A Jewish man who escaped and went to Melbourne, Australia, comes back to Berlin, Germany, cause his daughter wanted him to.

And sees all those Stolpersteine "'stumbling stone', metaphorically a 'stumbling block') is a sett-size, 10 by 10 centimetres (3.9 in × 3.9 in) concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution." - see link.

My Dad was a little boy, Mum, a little girl, lived in Poland. And yet... one feels "guilty".

And when you know what hunger is...



His new girlfriend is from Ploand. She makes Klopse, likely Königsberger Klopse, as my Grandma did often.
LOL. As a kid I thought capers were animals and refused to eat them, as they were "whole"....

He tastes, in joy exclaims, "these are not from this world!"



l'chaim

He speaks with a strong Jewish accent.

"You cannot be fixed on Holocaust forever."
When he says "scheen" for "schön" like my Grandma did.... a bit sad...

But life finds the other if they belong together.

And here,



That food can be home, some have forgotten about.

Everything that counts is life - always.

And it ends with "Love is all we need".

They open a restaurant...



They succeed against all odds and...



Another serious, funny movie - no English subtitles, though, in the version I have, but:

l'chaim - to LIFE!!!!

Lions of the day.
Henry and his siblings, one being from Düsseldorf, hide in the fist pic again ;-)

20 comments:

Ella said...

I only know one uncle of my mother who did both world wars! I was too young to be able to understand all his "stories", but I still remember him today ..... he was an "uncle" very dear to me!
And those "Stolpersteine" are very emotional ... This subject always touches me and I always wonder ... why?
Now in early May, the Netherlands celebrates 75 years since it was liberated from the fascists ... So many preparations have been made that they can no longer go because of COVID-19 and I am very sorry!
Life goes on with or without a party, but most importantly don't forget and don't let it repeat the sad experience!
I wish you a nice weekend! And yes ... almost forgot, I saw Henry and his siblings there under the TV!
A little big hug for you! xoxo

Valerie-Jael said...

Not my cup of tea. Die Geschichten kenne ich leider aus erster Hand, aus meiner Familie, und mag diese sentimentale Filme gar nicht. Ich bin grossgeworden mit den 'Übriggebliebenen'. Die Stolpersteine finde ich eine gute Idee, in Berlin entdeckte ich die 13 Namen von der Familie meiner Grossmutter. Dir einen schönen Tag trotz alledem, das Leben geht weiter. GlG, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Ella, Ingo´s Great-Granddad was in both wars, too. He could never eat bread because it reminded him of the hunger back then. He recycled everything and woke up at night, screaming.
What a waste of lives, even those who "survived". They did not live, mostly.
No, we should not forget, but as he says in the movie we should not cling to it,either.
I was to say "I am sorry for what I did to the Jewish people" when I was 14. I only moved my lips, cause I did nothing, nor did my parents, not even theirs.

:-) Yes, the Henries are always here under my PC - with TV in it.
I cannot live without them, right!
A little BIG hug to you! xoxo

____

Valerie, in meiner Familie war niemand dabei. Oder sie starben lange bevor ich geboren wurde, wie Großvater mütterlicherseits. Er war Pole und in russischer Kriegsgefangenschaft, starb,als meine Mutter Kind war.

13 von eurer Familie, das tut weh.
Alles was geblieben von der Zeit ist, das ich Essen nicht wegwerfen kann - außer was ich gestern fabriziert hab, das war grausig-scharf....
Ingo versteht das nicht.

Und der Film ist 95% witzig. Aber ich weiß, es scheitert bei dir
schon an Hallervorden ;-)
Ich würde mir auch nie einen Fim/Konzert mit ... wie heißt der...Udo Lindenberg angucken, per se nicht! Leider mag Ingo den. BOOM!
Auf einen schönen Tag, GlG, Iris

William Kendall said...

A horrendous time in history.

Lowcarb team member said...

I agree with William …

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

This was about getting over it, even at an old age.
Not forget, but get over it... start anew and enjoy the life you still have....

Tom said...

...and some today deny that the Holocaust happened!

Mae Travels said...

Sorry to hear this movie doesn't have English subtitles. Though life is too much of a downer these days so I don't think I would watch any holocaust movies, even with sort-of happy endings. Poland may succeed in rewriting history, I hope this film doesn't help them.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Tom. What can I say to that. I could imagine one man who´d say that, ... Sadly he is wrong.

____

No-no-no, Mae!!! This movie is about life!!! Enjoying life! Starting all over, no matter how old you are. Finding a new partner of love, no matter how old you are.
Dance, enjoy.

magiceye said...

Such a beautiful poignant tale.

My name is Erika. said...

That sounds like a good movie. I had a childhood friend who's Mom was with the Polish resistance. She had her concentration camp numbers tattooed on her wrist. Talk about never being able to escape those times with a tattoo. Always there to remind you of those days. And somewhere in the Polish side of my family there must have been someone Jewish as I have a little bit in me according to my DNA. Not a mistake as my mom has twice as much as me and my daughter has half of me. Perfect science. I just hope those times never come back. Even though they seem in smaller scales in other countries. But I really digress. I think that would be a good film and I am glad you shared it Iris. Hugs-Erika

Bill said...

The holocaust, terrible times in the world's history. I remember being a kid and stopping on the way to school in a small grocery store, the owner behind the counter, George, had some numbers tattoed on his wrist. I never asked him about it but soon learned what they meant. So sad!
Have a wonderful day, Iris. I'll be enjoying the sun once again. :)

At Home In New Zealand said...

I, for one, do not think you need to feel guilty. History is littered with atrocities and they still happen today. We can only be responsible for our own lives, and that movie shows we can overcome evil in our life and move on to better things. Be happy, enjoy life! Mxx

Jeanie said...

This sounds like such a beautiful and touching film. AS others who have commented here said, I, too, have met Holocaust survivors (and known their son better than the parents). It is something that will never cease to move me. The history is horrible and many were to blame, some willingly; others because it was a matter of survival. It was not your war, Iris. You do not need to feel guilty. It's always important to remember so these things don't happen again (they seem to happen -- and everywhere, over and over). But you do not need to carry the guilt for the actions of your country 75 years ago or more. Let that one go. And thank you for the movie recommendation.

gigi-hawaii said...

Sounds like a good movie. Too bad there are no English subtitles.

Anonymous said...

Both of my husband's grandparents fled the nazi's to come to america-sad times

peppylady (Dora) said...

I just don't get why someone or group of people have so much hate toward a certain group(s) of people.
I like to see more project done with hologram not just those who survive the holocaust.

Iris Flavia said...

magiceye, yes, it is!

____

Erika, thank you, yes, to never repeat that. My Mum´s Dad was in war captivity at the Russians and died soon later.
No tattoos, they were not Jews, but Granma spoke that accent. Maybe these days that film comes with English subtitles?
It´s a reminder in a fun-form, "scheen", "nice". Hugs - Iris

____

Bill, good you still remember the name, George. That way he is not forgotten, and he escaped, I reckon.
Very mature for not having asked about the tattoo, too.
Sunny again here,let´s enjoy the day!

_____

Margaret, yes! That is what the movie is all about.
But when you are German you have the "war-guilt", always. German flag only when they play international soccer, otherwise... no!
I try not to feel guilty, I just moved my lips and not really said "I am sorry for what I did...." - that was at school! Let´s never forget and yes, it happens elsewhere all the time, sadly.

____

Jeanie, all I can say is: You are right. Ihope my Nieces will have better experiences at school. And I never met... well, no surprise, is it...

____

gigi, maybe in newer versions there is? I have the movie since years!

____

Dora, you are right with both!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember Valerie taking photos of stones like that in her city, too. I am taken by all the pain the Nazis have caused, and yet, our president doesn't see anything wrong with Neo-nazis rising up today. Sadly, this doesn't sound like a film I would want to see, even though there may be happiness in the end.

Iris Flavia said...

Elizabeth, I kinda bet you´d love the movie, the darn Na#i stuff is less than 5%.
But I agree. History will repeat itself, just look to Islam. And other cultures.... Let´s always hope for happiness in the end!