Sunday, April 19, 2020
Socks Of Love - I am Not Polite
When Ingo and I got together he lived with his Granma.
Picture it: You come in.
A mini-hall, behind: the only bathroom with a shower.
Door to the left.
Left again, Granma´s living room, door always open, straight ahead the kitchen, door always open.
Right: Stairs.
No door.... we had not much privacy up there - a bathroom, though, too.
We got along well, though! With time.
She wanted to welcome me finally with a pair of socks, but owwww!!!!! Not enough wool! Shops closed, it´s Christmas!
Heel and toes she made from another sample. I loved it.
"You´re just being polite!"
And then everybody wanted socks from leftovers.
One day I found her on the floor.
Oh nooo!!!!!
Oh yessss! Sorting leftover wool, she was :-)
Reckon she really had a job again! And she loved it.
I am honest, not polite. And that was proof, again :-)
Well. I am polite, too, but I never lie.
I helped her wash and hang the socks and she told me the most ... amazing and also frightening stories from her youth and life.
Oh, did Granma hate it when we took off on the Moped!!!
Nah. Guess, she was a tad proud, too. That was some moped!!!
A real Harley Davidson from the 70´s Ingo got shipped from the US and put her together himself.
Granma came to hospital Braunschweig with an eye-infection.
I´d moved there due to my job and I certainly visited her.
Forgot my purse. She must´ve felt it and made the hospital staff call out for me at once!
She sadly had to leave us 2008.
The socks are a treasure and now season is over.
Ask Ingo about a pumpkin, if you like, that´s another "funny" story....
No Lion, this was Rhüden, Granma´s place...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




24 comments:
Selbstgestrickte Socken sind immer gut. Ich kann sie leider nicht mehr stricken, aber ich hab nette Freunde die für mich stricken. Dir einen schönen Tag, GlG, Valerie
Grandma sounds wonderful. I never learned to knit socks and it's too late now to learn, with my hands aching most of the time. I love the Harley.
Valerie, ich kann das auch nicht mehr, ich hab mal richtige Muster gestrickt - und ja, ich vermute, bei dir ist es nicht das Verlernte ... Gut, dass Freunde das für dich machen! Für den nächsten Winter, jetzt: Flip-Flops! :-)
____
River, my talent is gone, my fingers thankfully OK. Oh, the Moped, I miss her.
The pumpkin story! The smell of life and a poor boy. Thank you for the excellent advices! I did it twice in my life: The first and the LAST time!! (hmmpf)
The socks are lovely. I have never knitted socks but have been in conversation lately with my sister on how to use up my stash of wool before starting another new project ... socks could be the answer.
Ingo, the "poor boy, oh, the pooooor boy"! :-)
I guess I´ll buy a pumpkin next autumn and "forget" it in the cellar for a while ;-)
____
Joan Elizabeth, yes, go for this. You´ll make people happy! :-)
No one else but them will have this.
I laughed badly ... I just wanted to say ... is not Christmas, why the socks? 😅
We also lived with my parents in the beginning ... was not fun! I still don't understand why do they want to be in control? LOL
But ... my mom was good at knitting socks … Hahahahaha …
Greetings to the "poor boy" with the knitted socks!
Enjoy your Sunday! A little BIG hug for you!
Ella, well, being young, huh? No, Ingo´d had the money for an apartment of his own but Granma... we just loved her, too.
Looong story.
Well, it´s not Christmas, but sock-season is over now, that´s how I came to this - Flip-Flops now :-)
He managed not to pule, the poor boy, who had to get the rotten pumpkin out, LOL
Granma was saying, "poor boy", whilst Hubby was "ÖRKS, ÖRKS!" And I had a hard time not to laugh,"mean me" ;-)
A little BIG hug to you, and to laughing!
...I also have fond memories of my grandmothers too!
That is nice :-)
Do you still have the Harley?
Sock are true love I think. Especially since with cold feet you are cold and even if you aren't into clothes or can't afford clothes (meaning you in general not you Iris) you can have fancy fun socks. Maybe better than jewelry. My hubby would take the Harley though, well he has one that got moved out of the back of the garage storage yesterday. His treat to himself after he got a kidney transplant. Now I gave him the kidney so what was my treat? Hmmmm. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend Iris. Hugs-Erika
magiceye, we had to sell her as hubby has a bad back and she only worked as a real Harley. Kick starter only.
____
Erika, you gave him a kidney.
Wow.
Socks or a Harley can never make up for that.
Hope he treats you with loads otherwise!!! When did this happen, care to tell?
Hugs to you!!!
I made socks for everyone one Christmas---sox and watch caps and I never knitted again. God Bless Gramma
MB
I rarely wear socks, but David does when he wears shoes. I wear slippers or sandals daily. Your grandmother sounds like a nice person. I am sorry she passed away.
My grandparents raised me, so I have fond memories of quilts my grandmother made me, like the Sunbonnet Sue quilt she crafted out of fabric left over from dresses she made me in kindergarten and the Sunflower quilt I used on my bed through high school. She was a quilter and quilted everything by hand, but she never taught me to knit or crochet. Her sister, my Aunt Betty did that on both counts. All I ever made were afghans. Socks were not something I would have been capable of making.
LOVE your socks and I'm not just saying that to be polite, either.
Grandmas are wonderful. My wife makes our socks and I love them. Check out the link if you wish:
https://www.burkeseyeview.com/Sharis-Scraps-Strings/Socks/
Have a wonderful evening. sunny here again!
Granma sounds like a sweet and caring person. How wonderful that you have such great memories of her :) xx
Grandma sounds cool! :-)
Greetings from London.
Sounds like she was one of a kind.
Lovely memories.
I ‘d hope my grandchildren (and their significant others) have such fun memories of me some day in the future (not too soon I hope). Heck, right now I just hope I get to see them all again when this virus thing is over!)
MB :-)
I cannot knit anymore anyways....
____
gigi, those are heavy winter socks, I guess in Hawaii it never gets that cold ;-)
Yes, Ingo´s Granma sure was a wonderful person...
____
Elizabeth, yo, you´re not polite, either ;-)
Quilting is sadly not really known here. Ingo can sew, but I forgot about sewing and knitting altogether...
____
Bill, oh, so nice to see the socks!!! Lucky you :-)
Sunny again, but cold! A nice day to you.
____
Margaret, yes, she was wonderful, glad I met her! xx
____
Cuban, yes :-)
____
William, I miss her...
____
Sallie, yes to all three!!!
I'm sorry she left you in 2008. Love the socks. That's a good welcome.
Post a Comment