Wednesday, January 10, 2007

11.12.2006

Perth-diary: Fremantle was on the list now. First we had a look at the Round House. Volunteers are always happy to explain the details, very nice! Then we went to the Western Australian Maritime Museum. We found the entrance fee too high, since we had seen stuff like that before. I took some pics of the architecture, though. Well done. To the back was a free exhibition on ships motors. We were the only visitors, but three (or even four?) volunteers jumped up immediatly to turn on the machines, ready to explain!
Next were the Shipwreck Galleries. Guess what we saw there!!!!
Thalers from Brunswick! My Brunswick!



I found some very good second-hand book-shops, just great! Try to buy some english books via amazon and pay 8€, here you get them from 1$ on!

Later on we finally met Deanne and had a nice chat. We talked about Australia and Germany, Deanne tried to explain cricket to us. Still the rules remain a secret to me, though... After being in a café we strolled on through Fremantle. Though Deanne was quite quick in crossing the road, I had to double-check from which side the cars come. Without a car I had difficulties to get used to left-hand-traffic. Though Deanne doesn´t drive herself, she immediatly pointed it out right - with the steering wheel you have orientation: You have to be in the middle of the road.
We then accompanied her to her home. Hm. I don´t know if I would have invited two more or less strangers in my home, being alone with them. But maybe we really don´t look like thieves or something :-)
Well. Ingo had some adventures in Australia that had to do with italian things. Guess which language Deanne learned at school? :-)

It was a hot, long day, but funny and interesting. Sadly it was too late to go the beach together. From down south, Cottlesloe, we had to go all up to the north to Landsdale via Transperth. Though cheap - due to school holidays you can go all day long via all Transperth-services (train, bus, ferry) with a family ticket for only 7,70$ - it takes ages...
But we were to meet again :-)

No comments: