Friday, January 12, 2007

12.12.2006

Perth-diary: Another day in Freo, we went to the Fremantle Prison. We took the (again free) tour. One local, two germans and the rest all "poms", sadly with one girl who was obviously educated anti-authoritarian. I dunno. Some rules should be taught to children. It won´t be easy for them later on...
Our guide always said "well done folks", whatever that means in this case; he was the one telling us heaps of interesting things about prison-life in different times.
Next stop was the Fremantle Museum and Arts Centre. I had to ask at the tourist info, I found on the internet they have a Lynatic Asylum. I pronounced it completedly wrong and the guy at first didn´t understand. "Where crazy people had been held" helped me out... Wasn´t interesting, was just very sad there.
Heaps of people who were not "mad" at all but just depressive were kept hostage there.
One of them wrote a letter to his wife and threw it, wrapped up in a stone to not fly someplace, over the high wall. The wifes´ employee found it first and kept it from her. It was a sad letter asking for help, making clear he was not at all demented.

What cheered me up again was the discover-tour, not at all for kids only! I really played one of the first TV-Tennis games - it was the same we had at my parents house! Two bars that move up or down, a ball, two "joysticks" and that´s it - memories...
We saw the first running pictures, first music-stations, record players from the seventies sooo cool!




And most of the things really were to discover, to touch, to try them out - recommended!
Later on in a souvenier shop I bought a head-pin for Ingo: An australian flag combined with an italian one. Maybe that brakes the spell...

No comments: