Saturday, August 01, 2020

It´s HOT, MEOW



So neighbour W knocked at the door 04:45 on the dot on Thursday night.
He said he does not feel well and will not join us for a beer.

But he just looked sad, not "sick" (define that, huh!!), so I asked him in.
We sat in the kitchen, he poured his heart out and then smiled and went with us to Jürgens Brewery :-)

And luckily he did!
Ingo learned from a second person what depression is all about.

But he still did not understand how bad it can be and how little it takes to put someone down completedly...

W later got me the medication plans I scanned to send to Ingo´s Bro (doctor) to see if they are correct.
I know a bit about Alzheimer´s and understand his wife needs meds to keep her from pacing around, but now she does not want to walk at all and does hardly speak?! She was a true plappermouth before.

He also admitted...

I HATE that. When Ingo cooks and comes at me with a spoon of HOT food to taste.
Ingo never gets: high temps are different to me than to him. It burns my mouth to what for him is "a tad warm".

My Brother is a goldsmith and takes something out of the oven - like yummy lasagna - with a thin cloth!!!
HOW????



He´s also an optometrist and my ears are not only small but uneven, so he has to warm the frame of glasses and correct it.
"Cooled down, try."
"OUTCH, that´s HOT, dammit!!!"
Well, actually he certainly puts the glasses on me, he´s a pro.
We fight a lot then ;-)

W said... he NEVER EVER tastes - and nor do I.
We throw in like our hands/heart/mind "thinks" ét voilà, you have some yummy food (mostly).



How do you cook?
Do you taste?
For yourself?
Or do you chase your partner for confirmation to taste, also?

Do you have recipes or just throw in?
Pic above: I just threw in.
Was yummy.
A tad too hot, just a little.

Title?
Henry is a little... disappointed, no one said anything about his Sister! I carried her along all night!



Not ONE compliment!

15 comments:

Natalia said...

That cat is so cute! Me and my husband are quite like you, when something is slightly warm for me, it is definitely too hot for my husband 😂 Have a lovely day!

Iris Flavia said...

Crazy how different we feel for temps! A lovely day for you, too, 27C outside, yay (can´t get hot enough in real life).

William Kendall said...

I prefer the cold.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Love that cat :)
I nearly always use a recipe when cooking - but almost always alter it in some way LOL

magiceye said...

Cute cat! W is blessed to have you as a neighbour. Bless you.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love your cat. It's wonderful. So glad you showed it was for the ear.

One time I was at my friend Scott's and he served me coffee. It put BLISTERS all in my mouth. No joke. That was definitely one-trial-learning as proposed by Rock and later Guthrie.

I don't have a partner, so I taste my own food when I eat it (grin). And depression can come to any of us at any time. I try to always stay positive, even when things are going bad in my life or I'm reading depressing blog posts.

Hope your day is well, dear.

Jeanie said...

Yes and yes. Recipes and just throwing in. Tasting and depending on the food, asking Rick to taste too. It just all depends on the day and my mood and what I'm making.

I just finished a remarkable book called The Wild Remedy by Emma Mitchell. It's about a woman who suffers extreme depression. Her technique for helping beat it is nature because she is a bit of a naturalist so much of the book focuses on her walks and discoveries. But the reason I mention it here is that she also approaches it from a scientific point of view, including brain chemistry.And she describes some of her feelings. The times of March and April are especially poignant as she describes how it is nearly impossible to get out of bed, even, and face the day. It may or may not be of interest to someone WITH depression but for someone who LOVES someone with it and doesn't understand, I found it very helpful in many ways, certainly as we periodically deal with this with our Kid 1, the artist.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm definitely a 'thrower in' I find it almost impossible to follow a recipe exactly 😉 Looooove the cat ear decoration Iris. I'm so happy your neighbour came in for a chat and then came out with you, it is wonderful that he has found you 💜💙

gigi-hawaii said...

I never taste while I cook a meal. I just eyeball the seasonings and assume it will all turn out all right. And it always does.

RedPat said...

I love the cat! I never taste while I cook although I know that Jamie does all of the time.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I am taster cook. Alzheimer is such sad disease....Our neighbor has it and she was bright activity lady.

Stevenson said...

Oh screw everybody who did not complement that earcuff!!! I love it so so much! It reminds me so much of our own Miss Universe Catriona grey where she designed an earcuff she used to wear on the pageant to represent our country with the Sun and three stars, a symbol of the Philippines.

I feel so sad for W but at the same time thankful that he has friends like you and Ingo. Being sad is one but being lonely is another and I am very thankful that you guys are helping him feel loved and cared for through your thoughts!

About cooking, I usually throw stuff in. Never have I ever cooked anything with a recipe to be honest, and luckily, anything I cook (I dont cook very often though) people love it whether it be spaghetti or teriyaki. With that, I also love to experiment. I once cooked spaghetti tomato sauce and I added some coffee in it. I did not tell them I did but they loved that distinct taste that it had. (Okay now the secret is not a secret anymore - I used Nescafe classic to be exact)

Have a great week ahead dearest Iris and I really like to thank you so so much for not just dropping by my blog but also watching my Prague video! You had me laughing so so much with happiness on your comment! I actually replied, you might wanna check that out :) Sending you big hugs dear Iris! And again, love the earcuff! Wear it again!

My name is Erika. said...

The hot and too hot in my house is the same. I thought it was just us. Smile.

Bill said...

Hot food is good if it's supposed to be hot. I don't do taste tests, I just eat. My wife cooks and I do the dishes. Fair enough, we think. Love the cat on your ear, it's different and different is good. Ny wife gets depressed in the summer, she hates the warm hot weather which really we don't get. She likes it on the cool side and I do too. High temps can be a nuisance. As Sly and the Family Stone sing, Different Strokes for Diferent Folks. :)
Have a great evening!

Lowcarb team member said...

So important to taste your food when cooking, adjust the seasoning etc. if necessary ...

All the best Jan