Thursday, August 27, 2020

Languages

 

 Funny.

 Bavarian comes with subtitles in docus, Switzerdütsch not!

Picture? From the Silver Wedding of my parents, Aunt Gerda is my fav! She has no stomach but she spreads fun and happiness.

I understand Switzerdütsch (Swiss-German) as I´ve been there as a kid and my fav Auntie married a very nice guy there (she´s my Mum´s Sister). 

Other?

Most of my family are "fish-heads", they come from Hamburg region where I spent loads of holidays as kid with my cousin D.

"Moin Moin" does not mean "Guten Morgen" / "Good Morning", it simply means "hi" 😁.

You say it at night as well.

Here I am with my fav Uncle (whom I am not allowed to call "Uncle", he feels old then, don´t do that to an 80 y-o man!!!). He speaks Hamburg-accent, certainly.

He sadly suffers Alzheimer´s now.

My hair? Mum dragged me to a hairdresser for that, I felt like a clown all evening. The dress I still have, though.

My Omi, who raised us out ot 14 Grandchildren and went "achoi, achoi" driving over, yes, over my brother with her bike (she came originally from near Königsberg).

That is Platt and means "Ach Gott, ach Gott",  "Oh, my god!" - "achoi, achoi"...

 The ones we celebrated in 2001, my parents:

Ingo was in Southern Germany and looking forward to "Kromberre". Hm. He was very disappointed it´s "Kartoffel" ,potatoe".

A flatmate asked me for a "Teppsch", I thought he means "Teppich", carpet. Turned out he wanted a "Decke", blanket - it doesn´t even sound alike, Teppich/Decke!

There are so many accents here, go to Austria, you understand most, being German, but some words leave you clueless.

Like, I do speak English, right. Said, "oh, I think it´s gonna rain". Aussi (Australian)-friend M: "Take a brolly!" - "What?!" - "Um-Bre-lla!!!".  Boy, that man is really... LOL.

Friend H: Let´s meet this arvo" - "When???" - "This Af-ter-noo-hoon!" She has that same temper!

Same in your place?

Henry 🦁 ?

 

 
So many accents and languages make him all fuzzy!
 
And... 😍👻 Thank you, dear "jumpers" (last post) - we can build a community, what do you think? 🤣
 
 

22 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

Language is a funny (odd) thing. Even living next door to Australia I still have trouble understanding some of their slang words!

Iris Flavia said...

Sparky is my fav word for electrician :-)

Tom said...

...nice looking "fish heads!"

Iris Flavia said...

:-) I sadly haven´t seen them for a way too long time.

magiceye said...

We have languages and dialects changing every 100kms! 😊

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Jo (of Let's Art Journal) and I compared British words to American words meaning the same thing. It's fun to see where some things came from, while others are a mystery to me.

Gorgeous photos of you, dear.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Henry's bad hair day made me lol Iris 😁 Lovely memories in these photos. Sad about your favourite uncle, life can be so cruel. I love the New Zealand accent, always makes me smile, not so much the South African accent 😉

Iris Flavia said...

magiceye, weeeeee! Like a carousel!

____

Elizabeth, yes it´s weird, isn´t it, but then languages also undergo evoltion :-)
The pics are aaaages old. And I did feel like a clown with that hairdo, but thank you :-)

Sami said...

The bad hair Henry made me laugh :)
With the hundreds of different nationalities living in Australia, I think I got used to hearing English spoken with many different accents. Sometimes I can even pinpoint from which country the person is. Just last week I was introduced to someone in English and after a few minutes I asked her if she was Brazilian. She was, and she was surprised I had discovered that by her English accent.
In a tiny country like Portugal each Province seems to have a different accent too and sometimes even different words for the same thing. And when we visit the Azores Islands where Jose was born and has some family, I almost need a translator as they speak in such a way that it takes me a few days to get to understand what they are saying - they actually sound as if they speak with a French accent.

Iris Flavia said...

Henry is a tad ashamed, but happy he made you laugh :-)
Weird isn´t it, but interesting it only takes you a few days to understand people in Jose´s place - cause you learn French?

Stevenson said...

I have heard that Switzerland may not have a language of its own but the regions have 4 languages spoken, I think its French, German, Italian and not sure about the other one, or was it just 3? Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful memories with us of your family! Your father looks like a happy person and so as your cool Aunt. About your hair, I think it's gorgeous! Love the color and even the styling!

Thank you so much dear Iris for sharing your Australian Memory to Timeless Thursdays! Did visit it and was amazed by it especially about your adventure on driving on ice!

Sending you biggest hugs dear Iris!

gigi-hawaii said...

The accents and dialects can drive one crazy.

Iris Flavia said...

Grace, blogger drives me plain nuts, how come you end up in the middle of nowhere?
Henry now has to laugh :-)
Yes, sweet memories, indeed, and yes, Alzheimer´s is so cruel. Two in my family now, that is scary!!!

____

Stevenson, I think it´s three languages?
The color of the hair is my old same just the curls gave me a pain! That´s not me...

The ice was in Germany of course ;-)

Iris Flavia said...

Blogger!!!
gigi, yes, accents can drive you nuts, make you disappointed or make you laugh. Actually the´re a good "thing"!

A Cuban In London said...

Gorgeous pics. I learnt Hoch Deutsch so tended to speak with an accent you'd call posh here in the UK, or RP (Received Pronunciation or the Queen's English). I remember the first time I spoke to an Austrian. I couldn't understand anything. I felt so embarrassed. Eventually my ear got used to both Austrian and Swiss German (having a Swiss girlfriend man, many years ago also helped).

Thank you very much for your feedback on my blog. Your answers were great. :-)

Greetings from London.

Iris Flavia said...

We speak Hochdeutsch, also :-)
Ingo was titled "arrogant" for doing so when being in South Germany for speaking like the guy on the news ;-)

Your survey was fun!

Bill said...

When we lived in Alaska, my wife and I took an Inupiaq language class. There are so many dialects depending on where you live. Each are different and it was hard just to learn one. We studied the Barrow (northern) dialect but our teacher was from the Kobuk (northwest) area and had lots of words that were different. Inupiaq language can be traced all the way to Greenland but the dialects would change but you probably would understand some words.

You look great in the old photos, nice hairdo too. Thanks for sharing!

RedPat said...

I think you look great in the old pics!

William Kendall said...

The province of Newfoundland and Labrador has a very distinctive dialect and vocabulary that can be baffling to mainlanders.

My name is Erika. said...

I do like those photos of you. And I didn't realize that German, like I guess most languages, has all kinds of variations. I like that phrase moin-moin. It sounds like a good way to say hi.

Iris Flavia said...

Bill, that really sounds like Henry would get another bad hair day, weee. But yay for going and learning one of the languages, good on you!
;-) Thank you, I felt like... well, like a clown with that hairdo! But thank you...

____

RedPat, thank you :-)

____

William, yes, it´s evolution, huh.

____

Erika, well, depends. Before I knew what that means, when I got a phone call in the late arvo from that region I answered automatically "Guten Morgen"! LOL

____

River said...

I grew up in Australia, so I understand things like brolly and arvo, even going from one state to another doesn't make a lot of difference, just a few instances had me asking "what?" In Queensland a suitcase is called a "port" (because it's portable?) and a swimsuit is called "togs" or "bathers" depending which state you are in, but mostly the whole of Australia understands each other.
My sister's middle name is Gerda.